Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'valve'.
Found 3 results
One day I asked myself what it would look like if I put a window in a steam link. I don't ask WHY, but HOW. I created the guides as part of my YouTube channel, but i'm going to break it down into steps for the readers. Before I begin, here are the videos from my channel. They're separated into 2 parts, around 10 minutes each. I tried to keep them interesting. Part 1 Part 2
Hi everyone, started this build in Feb 2013 but would like to share it with you guys. Some of you will have seen the build already but hope you don't mind me adding a build log here too. My original idea was to convert an old radio into a custom PC case. Having no previous modding experience, my original plans were fairly modest but the more I have been exposed to the modding community the more your fantastic builds have inspired me to improve my designs and alter my goals. Anyway, on to the build... The first thing to do, and the most important by far, was to find a suitable radio cabinet. This actually proved easier than I thought and after a couple of enquiries I sourced a 1939 Murphy D72 valve radio. The cabinet was pretty shabby but was a nice size for what I wanted it for. First job was to strip everything down and refinish the walnut veneer exterior. Original speaker cloth was shot so got hold of some reproduction Fender cloth. Glued it onto the mount ready for installation. Projects are never without problems. The alloy of the speaker bezel had deteriorated so much that the bezel disintegrated upon removal leaving me with a serious headache. Being over 70 years old it was impossible to get a replacement part so a new one would have to be fabricated. I explored a number of ideas including aluminium fabrication and 3D printing but it was going to be prohibitively expensive (as a married father of two such expense can't be justified). Eventually I found a second hand router going cheap so made my own by means of a homemade circle jig and a lot of patience! New bezel painted alongside tuning dial bezel. The original plan was to convert the two large control knobs into bespoke USB sticks which would plug into a couple of USB ports in the front but this idea soon to be usurped in favour of volume and fan controls. I always envisioned having rotary power and reset switches to retain the feel of the original radio. Rotary momentary switches however have proved extraordinarily difficult to source. Eventually I found these rotary limit switches which, although rather large, could be modified to work nicely. To complete the switchgear I bought a cheap Antec fan controller and a Griffin Powermate which were modified slightly to take the original bakelite knobs.
I think it's damn near impossible to visit a tech site lately and not see a mention of the Steam Machine. It has yet to be see how Valve's attempts to break down the barrier between console and computer will fair, but the (Steam) machine they're putting out to do the job is a decent piece of engineering. iFixit had the opportunity to dissect one of the beta machines and the break down caught my eye. Crammed in is a mITX motherboard, an i5-4570 and a GTX 780 via hard riser card in about as small a space as you can fit all that stuff. The cowlings (air duct fixtures for the GPU and CPU) were especially interesting to me and I'd love to see the temps on this thing after stress testing purely out of curiosity. Link the article on iFixit with a lot of great pics