Patto

Dremel Tip: Cutting a Straight Piece of Acrylic

Hi Guys and Girls

This thread is a Quick Guide for people that don't have a band saw, scroll saw or a jigsaw and want to use the Dremel to cut some acrylic.

Here is a few Steps that make it a bit easier to work with what you have got:

1. Mark the Cut out on your material
null_zps2ada270c.jpg

2. Find a ling straight piece of wood and some clamps.
null_zpsaae01612.jpg

3. Line it up about 1mm away from the line and clam down
null_zps810f9598.jpg

4. You want to make sure if you press the mandrel against the timber the cutting wheel sits on the line.
null_zps1fe023c6.jpg

null_zpsd67a0f20.jpg

5.Before Cutting make sure you have your glasses on.
_U401C_zpsa40367ba.jpg

6. Try and make a continuous cut without stopping, the straighter you hold the dremel the better your cut will be.

null_zps05c03604.jpg

null_zps7a8eb776.jpg

That is it guys hope it helps one or two people.

now off to get me a Band saw and a Scroll saw

nice man, I surprisingly even with shaky hand can* cut a marked line within a 1/128th with a dremel, I come it about 1/16th away from the line and push forward right to the marked like. I have been going with the palm router lately and haven't messed up a line since....this is very helpful to those who only have a dremel. nice post!

I cut the line with extra with left on, then use a stainless steel angle bar clamped along the line to keep the filing job even. Most of us don't want a raw dremel edge showing, so there's a filing/sanding pass to do anyway.

-My rig can eat right through the wood too. -Never underestimate the power of a shaky hand.:lol: (God, don't let EEL read that last sentence...)

Nice tip for sure Patto, I will definitely try this out, I have a jigsaw but sometimes find that I get finer control with a dremel.

Yeah, but you can't use a table saw to cut a 2" square hole inside an assembled case.

-And I one-up you with my tile saw.:P That makes me the spoiled-est, and that's one more than being spoiled-er.

i have used a tile saw, table saw, jig saw, dremel. Nothing has cut cleaner, straighter, and more precise than my router table and palm router. Im also working on my CNC which will be done soon that takes the cake =P. But without a CNC a router table will give you the best cuts with a 2-flute 1/4"-shank upspiral endmill, packs of 5 for 20$ on ebay. I got a 80$ router table from Harbor freight, that included the router. I took it apart and built a custom 2ftx4ft MDF table with oak trim for 20$. I got an aluminum bar 1inch by 3 inch form mcmaster carr for 25$ as a fence and boom, a bad feces generator acrylic chompin, aluminum eating, plywood rippin beast. Also my bosch colt palm router eats any material you throw at it, 1/2" acrylic in 1 pass, i would say it could do 1/4" aluminum in 1 pass, I have cut copper sheets too. Just my experience over the last year. My ocd for straight/square lines has had me use every tool until I found the perfect one =D