Heretic

Modding a Razer Mamba, and a Saitek Nostromo

I did these series of modification a few years back, and originally posted it on the Mod Brothers website. The mods consisted of changing out the LED's in my Razer Mamba, it's base, and my Saitek Nostromo.

Both of the pieces of hardware had bright blue back-lighting. This did not go with any of the coloring scheme that I have for any other piece of my system. So I needed to change them all to low intensity red.

Here is the build for both of them.

1. Here is what the Saitek Nostromo looks like in the original stock appearance.
stock_zpsadc144e2.jpg

2. Most of the new red LED's installed. Here are a few pics. (Darker pics are with out a flash on my camera.)
DSC_0845_zps8d88fe2c.jpg
DSC_0846_zpsf10db3ed.jpg
DSC_0847_zpsa8ca114a.jpg

3. This is a picture of the bottom of the keypad area back together, and me trying to get the thumb pad apart.
DSC_0848_zpsdba6a667.jpg

4. Lighted.
DSC_0848_zpsdba6a667.jpg
DSC_0850_zps21093863.jpg

5. All back together. The Blue LED at the top is a mode button, I wanted to leave those stock. Each one is a different color.
DSC_0851_zpsbf0e9554.jpg
DSC_0852_zpsfbbd8ae1.jpg
DSC_0853_zps11e1e2ba.jpg

Now on to my Mamba mods. This actually kinda ticked me off, right after I bought mine and modded it, Razer decided to make the new version which is the Mamba 2012 version, and the main reason for the upgraded model was to make it so the owners can change the lighting color and intensity at will. Yeah I know bastards right? But as Mr. Bill Owen says, there is nothing like a freshly Voided Warranty.

This is actually in two parts. The Base, and then the actual Mouse. I will do the base first. Please remember that the darker pictures are with my camera.

1. Stock pictures, always start with stock, so peeps have an idea. LOL....
stock2_zpsd39fd0e7.jpg
stock3_zps7d79bbd8.jpg

2. Here is a picture of the LED's, I wish I had a better comparison for the size. All I can say is that the piece of solder at the top is .33mm in diameter. I think they were 2mm LED's
DSC_0829_zps20a8a327.jpg
DSC_0830_zps2c5b0f8b.jpg

3. This is the base with the very top off, we will come back to this in a bit.
DSC_0828_zps6ac5cb67.jpg

4. Here is the main board out of the base of the base (HA! bas of the base. Yeah I am a dork.) If you look closely the two LED's on the left side have been changed out to the new style, numbers D18, and D22, the rest are the old style yet.
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/max_martin_1977/Razer%20Mamba%20Mod/DSC_0827_zps16f64a9b.jpg

5. These boards are just basically cardboard, if you leave your iron on too long it will burn right through. You can see that I have removed the old style LED's off the board and have started in install the new ones.
DSC_0831_zps2b9f1dc2.jpg
DSC_0836_zps8422b9bf.jpg

6. Every so often you have to hook everything back up and see if it is working properly. This is what I have done here. It is a pain in the feces generator but well worth it that you know that everything works. As you can see I found that D25 is inop.
DSC_0832_zps84822e3e.jpg
DSC_0835_zps2cf954cf.jpg

7. I kinda fried that one LED and had to wait to get a new one. I thought I ordered enough, but they short changed me so it cost them over $40 to overnight me 10 LED's that cost a whole $0.75 total, from London, England.
DSC_0837_zpsb4b18275.jpg
DSC_0838_zpsdf101183.jpg

8. Here is the top of the base, for some reason I can not find the pictures with the new LED's in place.
DSC_0833_zps187f9228.jpg
DSC_0834_zpsa004e243.jpg

9. Here is the base all put back together.
DSC_0840_zpsb3b00e50.jpg
DSC_0839_zps7e391b76.jpg

10. Bottom view of the base....
DSC_0841_zpsb738644c.jpg
DSC_0842_zps7a260b23.jpg

11. The only place there was an LED on the mouse was in the Scroll Wheel, so I will not bore you all with the taking apart of the mouse. Just show the finished product.
DSC_0855_zps2cb81d9e.jpg
DSC_0854_zps0aae1d66.jpg

12. Here is the mouse setup with the stand. I have to say this was a fun project, hope to be posting some more here in due time.
DSC_0856_zps2b2a6223.jpg
DSC_0857_zps57dfad12.jpg

Not a problem brother.

I looked for this link for like an hour lol. Built a new pc since then, and lost all my links. But here you go.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/component-leds/

Just a word of warning, the cost of shipping may be more than that of the product. Most places that deal electronics have a base price that you need to spend before they will ship, so just beware.

Here is another link that may be handy for connectors for computers, and peripherals. Any kind of connector you can think of.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g4/Electronics.html?id=viWCkheL

Have fun brother, I always do.

Can you link where you got the LEDs and the specs please

Thanks

Not a problem brother.

I looked for this link for like an hour lol. Built a new pc since then, and lost all my links. But here you go.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/component-leds/

Just a word of warning, the cost of shipping may be more than that of the product. Most places that deal electronics have a base price that you need to spend before they will ship, so just beware.

Here is another link that may be handy for connectors for computers, and peripherals. Any kind of connector you can think of.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g4/Electronics.html?id=viWCkheL

Have fun brother, I always do.