DarthFos

Two Drives in One: Western Digital Black²

One problem that many have with laptops is that you are stuck with a single hard drive (unless you buy a giant beast like my G74sx).  SSDs are great for speed but large drive sizes get expensive pretty fast.  The SSD wear on the NAND can also be an issue when you have a lot of data writes shortening the lifespan of your device.  Regular HDDs are great for size but are slower and use more power.  Unlike SSDs, regular HDDs are great for major amounts of read/write abuse like Digital Editing, etc.  Sure, there have been Hybrid drives that kind of blend the two but Western Digital has taken that concept a step further.

Today, they announced the Western Digital Black² or as they call it, a Dual Drive:  http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

This is literally two drives stuffed into a 2.5in drive chassis.  You get a 120GB SSD and a 1TB 5400RPM HDD that squeezes into most standard 9.5mm x 2.5in drive bays .  The OS will recognize the SSD and HDD as two separate drives so you can do cool things like put your OS/Apps on the SSD (VROOM VROOM) and user data, videos, junk, etc on the 1TB platter for lots of data blasting.

Pre-order price I saw on NCIX for this was a whopper of $350cdn so this will ultimately be more geared towards the laptop user that needs to do something cool with their single drive bay.  To buy a 120GB SSD and a 1TB drive separately would be much cheaper but, if you only have one drive bay, this is a very interesting alternative.

I'm a big fan of two drives in a system (OS/Apps on one, Data on the other) so this is a drive I could see modders using in HTPCs or other SFF builds where space is very limited.

Enjoy!

People have been bagging on this a little, because what you said you can do it cheaper with two drives.  I applaud WD for doing something innovative and I feel it definitely has a place in the market.  Besides the laptop application, there are those that just want simplicity in there hardware. Not us of course! we want to complicate the hell out of things. But that's just us!  I can see more versions of this coming, with larger SSD's. I think they are going to test the water to see what kind of market they have for it. 

NCIX Black Friday sale has this for $299 right now.  And yeah, lots of reviewers seem to be slagging the lower performing platter failing to see the overall purpose of the drive.  Fast OS/Apps on the SSD and long term heavy write data storage/bashing on the 1TB for those that don't have space to stuff two drives into something (mainly laptop market would be the best target).