Not really a PC build but thought I would share it here for Zoo buds.

Like I don't have enough irons in the fire,I started my sim rig build today.
Nothing fancy,just some good old metal work.
I have been planning this for about a year (imagine that) but when I made the fan grill for someone else's sim rig bug hit me hard!
Well as luck would have it my Mom wanted to get rid of a workout machine they had setup (rarely used of course) fist thing I thought was "METAL for my sim rig"!

So Cyber Monday I ordered a Logitech G27 wheel and a racing seat from Summit Racing. Seat showed up today around 3:00 so I got started laying it out. Looks like it is going to need little work to make it all fit. Not shown is seat mount I finished also. I will be using it for F1 2012-2013 and then I will signup for Iracing league and see how that goes.

I also plan on doing so mods to the pedals and then I will make a set from scratch when I get time. Then I will be adding Buttkickers and simvibe on four corners for more motion input.

Plan on this being done this week. Let me know if you want to see more of this off topic build.

simrig001.jpg
simrig002.jpg
simrig003.jpg
simrig004.jpg

Thanks,I did contact him and said he has something coming in Thursday that may work.

As you know I'm a big F1 fan so I will start with F1 2012/2013 then switch to iRacing (monthly subscription). Of course I will need to make an F1 steering wheel! iRacing has all laser scanned tracks,even the bumps. I will also set this up for my N52 controller and mouse so I can play some COD!!!

Just watched a vid where a guy has 5 screens on his so he can look out the side windows.

I do have a fear the about the time consumption this will entail.

Showed my wife last night..."where is that going to go!!" Wives just don't get it,you would think after 18 years of marriage nothing would surprise her.  :unsure:

We just talked about moving furniture around..she rolled her eyes and left the room.

No wheel today stuck on a truck till tomorrow. So got the seat tack welded in place in between milling parts. Did some layout and installed new light weight paper thin monitor.

simrig005.jpg

simrig006.jpg

simrig007.jpg

simrig008.jpg

simrig009.jpg

Ok I'm going to call it done! Well fab work anyway. Still need to drill two holes for cable management then sand,paint and powdercoat. Nothing fancy and used almost all scrap metal (yep even a piece of bed rail) with the exception of some aluminum plate I grab off the shelf. I have about 8 hrs total so far and I'm pretty happy with it.

I did struggle with pedal layout working by myself and are a little to close,but a simple extension will fix that if need be. As you can see I went inverted so I could get rid of the huge ugly plastic housing. Then center post did make stock pedal layout little tight so I spread them more from center line and I felt stock clutch location was to close to the brake so went with little more space there also.

Yes I swayed off and made a plate for a little FPS gaming. I really had to bite my tongue and stop myself from going crazy on it....I almost built a dash panel,but wanted to get it done and out of the shop. I can see a few mods in the future for sure.

Still not sure what direction I will go with on monitors (24 or 27) and I will probably go with a unattached stand. This will get me started.

I will post some pics after it's painted and in place.

Thank for watching.

simrig010.jpg

simrig011.jpg

simrig012.jpg

simrig013.jpg

simrig014.jpg

simrig015.jpg

simrig016.jpg

simrig017.jpg

simrig018.jpg

simrig019.jpg

simrig020.jpg

simrig021.jpg

simrig022.jpg

simrig023.jpg

simrig024.jpg

simrig025.jpg

simrig026.jpg

You are correct. I really never even thought about needing my right foot for the brake till you mentioned it!!!

When I started whipping it together I never gave the center post a second thought until I set the stock pedals in place. Hmmm can't reach pedals! So had to go with a wider layout to get them comfortable. It think it will work for what I need.

I got similar comments over at iRacing. I may redo it today. It also makes getting in and out kinda tough.

OK I'm think you are right I'm going out to shop right now and look at changing it....THANKS!!! More work for me! Beta 2 coming up.

Let's call this NOT done!

@ARAMP1 Thanks for the comment this really made a huge improvement and didn't take to long. Very happy the way it feels now.

OK so here is what I did today. I decided (after a suggestion) to get rid of the center post but didn't want to reconfigure everything so I just attach couple curved bars to center post and cut it out once welded....it was sturdier then I thought it would be. Well once it was gone I then realized the post on the pedals still  wouldn't allow me to get my right foot on the brake. So I made a floor and that allowed me to make the brake plate adjustable via a series of drilled and tapped holes. I think the extra few hours were well worth the effort. My powder won't be here till Friday so have plenty of time.

Still need to re-locate the pedals closer to original spacing.

Let me know what you think and I appreciate the comments....even if they make me work more!

simrig028.jpg
simrig029.jpg
simrig030.jpg
simrig031.jpg
simrig032.jpg
simrig033.jpg

Update:

Today I decided to make a cover and dash panel for my all plastic G27.

Step 1: Void the warranty!!

You can see in the pics I just used a couple 10/32 nutserts to hold the 1/8" aluminum front panel in place and also removed the stock clamp system while I had it apart. This will allow me to remove/install the dash without having to disassemble the wheel housing again other then removing the steering wheel. I will need to order some counter sunk 10/32 bolts so my fingers will clear when using paddle shiftier's. I then added some 3/8" X 1/2" aluminum for the cover mount all drilled and tapped for 6/32" stainless button caps screws.

Step 2: I had to hit the wheel spacer on the belt sander to add additional clearance for the panel was just enough on the outer ring for a perfect fit.

Step 3: Bend a piece of .050" 6061 aluminum (9" X 28")and mount using more 6/32" button cap screws.

I still need to shear the bottom at an horizontal angle along the bottom. Then I will make a couple side panels for switch boxes or make my own.

Couple questions,what are some of your preferences on steering wheel angle? I don't like the stock G27 angle and was wondering if anyone is using wheel perpendicular to the floor? I like the way it feels when it's straight and would make the side panel easier to line up. Of course this will mean cutting the support and relocating it. Second question how many buttons would I need to eliminate the need for permanent keyboard in iRacing? Any recommendations on button boxes or kits?

simrig034.jpg

simrig035.jpg

simrig036.jpg

simrig037.jpg

simrig038.jpg

simrig039.jpg

simrig040.jpg

simrig041.jpg

simrig042.jpg

simrig044.jpg

simrig046.jpg

simrig047.jpg

simrig049.jpg

Today I spent some time searching switches and buttons and finally got some ordered. I ended up getting the rotaries from the link DSD supplied as most I found were just 3 position. I read up about key mapping in iRacing and saw couple videos talking about brake bias so thought I better get a couple. Ordered 4 large buttons and just 10 small ones for now till I figure out what layout I will go on both side panels.

Really couldn't get into work mode today!! So I decided to make a shift knob and new center for the steering wheel (both will be red). Then once I decided on switches I went ahead and drilled (I hope the spec sheet was right) center dash for 2 large and 4 small buttons. I figured I would use 2 large for ignition and starting....that may change though once I see how thing feel in game. This will allow me up to 29 buttons for each side panel using 2 DSD boards.

I think I need to make cover for the shifter! Thing is ugly.

That's it for today!

simrig050.jpg

simrig051.jpg

simrig052.jpg

simrig055.jpg

simrig056.jpg

reminds me of a project me and my little brother did a while back... i do like yours more tho! ours was like a full on PVC frame.

I did some reading on the PVC rigs and looked at couple plans I almost went that way. The ideal material would be a full 8020 extruded one,sure would make it easy to add and remove items.

You lost me at 10/32nd  ha ha - naaa,  You keep cutting those posts, It would be Ideal if you made the steering wheel pitch adjustable.  I would think that it is a driver preference and fine adjustments would make it perfect for you?  this is interesting to follow. 

Looking good!  Nice correction.

As far as the pedal spacing goes, I'd want them close enough that I could heal/toe the brake and gas.  Of course, you don't really use your foot sideways, you use the ball and outer edge of your right foot upright.  

Looking good!  Nice correction.

As far as the pedal spacing goes, I'd want them close enough that I could heal/toe the brake and gas.  Of course, you don't really use your foot sideways, you use the ball and outer edge of your right foot upright.

I did relocate the pedals back to stock spacing with the exception of the clutch that I moved left and extra 1/2" for foot clearance.

Thanks for the help and I'm REALLY glad you pointed it out. Chime in anytime please I'm definitely out of my element here. Then I'm going to make a full cover for the shifter and may mount my brake bias rotary controls on it.

Just finish changing the steering wheel angle closer to perpendicular and feels a lot more comfortable. Laying out the side dash panels now. I figured them with 24 buttons max on each with enough spacing for labels under them.

Off to the bender!

Today I finished the side button boxes and relocated the pedals now that the center post is gone. Also have shifter apart and looks like I'm going to make a whole new housing for it instead of trying to cover the original housing.

More to come!

simrig057.jpg

simrig058.jpg

simrig059.jpg

simrig060.jpg

simrig061.jpg

Looks great!  I am by no means an expert.  (I did race formula fords and formula 2000s for a couple seasons though and was hoping to transition to indy lights before I stopped all that nonsense and started flying jets.)

It may just be the perspective but it looks like it might be difficult to get behind the steering wheel mounted paddles due to the proximity of the dash panel.   Is that one piece, ie if I have my fingers behind both sides and pull towards me on the right, will it smash my fingers on the left?

Looks so badass though!  Even if I had the space, I could never justify it.  You sir are my hero!  

You know, after you get it down, you need to build a second one so you can have buds over and race.  

Flying jets sounds like a hell of lot more fun!!

Good eye on the clearance. I did have to re-bend the paddles to give more finger room when I lost the room built into the housing and once I change mounting bolts to countersunk I will have plenty of room. Yes paddles are independent.

I certainly don't see me building another for some time!!   :blink:

Knocked out the shifter today. Not exactly what I had in mind but will work for now. Buttons are made in to the housing. Still need to make an end cap then I will start paint and powder coat prep and call it done till buttons show up. I may fire up the mill and make a gate panel for it.

Think I can RMA it?

simrig062.jpg

simrig063.jpg

simrig064.jpg

simrig065.jpg

simrig066.jpg

OOPS....ran the tap to far in and went through the top!! Little dab of JB weld should hide it.

simrig067.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Chatbox
    There's a thing here. Somehow it moved to the top of the page, but I didn't do it. No, really! But still, Cheaps is likely to blame...
    You don't have permission to chat.