I think it's damn near impossible to visit a tech site lately and not see a mention of the Steam Machine.  It has yet to be see how Valve's attempts to break down the barrier between console and computer will fair, but the (Steam) machine they're putting out to do the job is a decent piece of engineering.  iFixit had the opportunity to dissect one of the beta machines  and the break down caught my eye.  Crammed in is a mITX motherboard, an i5-4570 and a GTX 780 via hard riser card in about as small a space as you can fit all that stuff.  The cowlings (air duct fixtures for the GPU and CPU) were especially interesting to me and I'd love to see the temps on this thing after stress testing purely out of curiosity.

Link the article on iFixit with a lot of great pics

SteamMachineTeardown_zpse4d33f60.jpg

It is interesting looking at how different vendors are coming up with a Steam Machine.  For the most part, I'm not seeing a lot of innovation and just standard PCs slapped with a "Steam Machine" label. The whole point of a Steam Machine is to incorporate it into the living room. Having a skinny tower or standard square box chassis just screams "We made a PC that runs STEAM!" and those just don't work for me because I could build that myself.

Valve's beta system, taken apart by iFixit, is one of the better examples of system clearly customized to condense the design and blend it into the living room environment. Dell and iBuyPower seem to grasp that concept as well with their horizontal stereo component designs that aren't standard huge HTPC cases.  The tiny NUC sized systems will most likely be integrated APU solutions and may be less configurable which can be good and bad.

Seeing how generic some of these systems are just inspires me to finally finish gathering up parts and to reveal the evil I've had planned for some time. ;)