Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

113 posts in this topic

Four 500gb hard drives? What is this, 1999? Just get a 2tb and be done with it :P/>

Running them in RAID 1+0 with a 120GB SSD for the OS. Buy me a 2TB drive and I'd be happy to :-P

snapback.pngAndrew_k, on 30 November 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

Four 500gb hard drives? What is this, 1999? Just get a 2tb and be done with it :P/>

What is this 2010? Who uses 3.5" OR 5.25" media anymore for that matter. Use a 2.5" SSD AND 2.5" WD Black HDD for storage. USB flash drive for Windows install and ditch the cd-rom nobody uses. Before somebody says "I have to have my cd burner for audio cds" get a life.

snapback.pngAndrew_k, on 30 November 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

What is this 2010? Who uses 3.5" OR 5.25" media anymore for that matter. Use a 2.5" SSD AND 2.5" WD Black HDD for storage. USB flash drive for Windows install and ditch the cd-rom nobody uses. Before somebody says "I have to have my cd burner for audio cds" get a life.

Wow a bit harsh dude. If you want to buy me a bunch of high capacity SSD's for me to use instead I'd appreciate it, but for the rest of us that need to reuse hardware it's not an option. And seeing how I have a USB DVD drive I'm all set on that front. So troll elsewhere kid.

I hear you on the reusing part. And I wouldn't waste my time specifically getting a 2.5" hard drive for a desktop anyway.

SSD's are great right now for booting/program drives, but they are still not cost effective storage (unless you need to due to space). They are well on their way though, and 3.5" drives are on the way out, naturally.

I picked up 3 of these 3tb seagates for my most recent build, and they are a great blend of price/performance and storage. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

Seeing how I currently have 5 dead Seagates in my basement (waiting to do a clock mod with) and not a single dead WD ever I'll stick with WD lol. If I had cash to spend on drives I'd get two and RAID them. My 4x500's are in RAID 1+0 right now (after losing thousands of pictures and videos on a 500GB dead Seagate I'm paranoid about backup) with a 500GB that I use in a USB 3.0 enclosure for weekly backups, that way it's not powered on 24/7

LOL, Did you even read my post? It's not me that was wondering about how to fit 4 500gb hard drives in the HAF XB. I only need an SSD to load an OS, Steam and about 4 games so all of the attendees at CES can come through the suite and actually sit down and game on the Green Machine.

Here's an easy way to stuff more 2.5" hdd's and/or ssd's in this puppy. With the 4 rack included, 2 of these, and the 2 hot swap drives you could theoretically stuff 18 drives in here easy.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817994147

That would never fit in this mod no matter what you did to the case. If you take a look at the pictures and see what I am actually fitting in this build then you would understand. I have a monster 360 rad that is 60mm thick completely blocking the 5.25 bay and the hot swaps. These are unusable now and they are probably going to be small tiled windows to showcase the big fat rad...lol

I am going be modding a special hand crafted mount for a 2 TB storage drive at a later date when I start using this rig as my daily gaming rig and be done with it as Andrew said.

One nice touch is that there will be a completely modded Storm Trigger Keyboard with green led's, a set of Sirus Headset with green led's including the volume control led's green as well. The Sentinel II already has build in green led's so this won't be modded.

Some might say that is overkill but this is CES we are talking about and the "Green Machine" theme needs to be 100% or as close to it as I can get...lol

Anyway I am meeting with a painter today and we are going to start airbrushing the front bezel and also probably going to do the rads as well. I will post more pics up for you guys when I get that finished up then it's time to remove all the rivets and give the HAF XB a nice hot chemical bath to properly strip the black powder coat and get moving on making the transformation to this:

100_3759.jpg

I realize your tight on space I was just replying to C&C's comment. BTW you do know they now make 2TB - 2.5" hdd's right? They're a little thicker than standard and won't fit most laptops but would work here to save on space. Especially since CM decided to go the 2.5" route you should show that to customers. Might want to consider something like that or a WD Black 1TB - 2.5" even. I know your modding a lot of the case but still just nice to keep that 2.5" theme going.

Yeah I do know they make the smaller form factor but problem for me with that is the ones I saw all have 8mb cache vs. 64mb on a standard size 2TB hard drive. (I could be wrong but this is what I recall and too lazy to look it up right now) I can fit a full size one in there later on without a problem but I get what you're saying in trying to utilize the 2.5" thing.

I'm not using that 2.5" rack that comes with it if that's what you're referring to....

Anyway special paint and airbrushing is in progress on the front bezel, side handles and all 3 radiators so I will post some pictures once that is ready. Till then it will be a little while till I post some more pics. Take it easy guys and have a great weekend.

Really diggin' this mod-build so far bro, keep it up!

On a side note, I just wanted to let you know that on the first page, the post you begin with "Thank you Bill, I am also predicting this case to be a huge success for Cooler Master. At first I was unsure until I actually started taking it apart. The motherboard tray is completely removable with only a couple thumb screws and it just has so much potential to really go any way you want with it.

Here is a first look for you guys like a run around of the case:" is double-posted, fixing that should help you to fit more on page 1 ;)/>

Looking forward to seeing this thing done bro, great work so far!

imagine Brian is waiting for parts to come back from powdercoating?.... just a hunch

Yeah I actually am waiting for just that...lol I had to do a special order on one color of the powder coat because when I went to drop off the pieces I noticed a new neon green that matches the sleeving and nvidia green perfectly so I had to go with that and the original metal flake green I had planned on.

Here are a couple pics after the chemical bath and some of the front bezel work completed: (kinda looks like it went through and apocalypse)

100_4222.jpg

brianscomputer.jpg

Now I'm just painting all of my excaliburs (Going to have to straighten that Cooler Master logo though, it came like that but it was a sample before it was released)

20121217203418662.jpg

Sweet...I used that same green for my kid's pine wood derby cars, Er, I mean HE used that same green...

Nicholas at CM keeps asking if I've seen the XB yet?..."Yes, yes..lol...just dont have any time right now for more projects...."

Sweet...I used that same green for my kid's pine wood derby cars, Er, I mean HE used that same green...

Nicholas at CM keeps asking if I've seen the XB yet?..."Yes, yes..lol...just dont have any time right now for more projects...."

Lol yeah I could only imagine what you would do with one of these Bill... :)/>

Hoping to have a nice solid update for him and all my friends over at CM by the beginning of next week.

Update....

100_4225.jpg

Thought it needed a little depth to the grooves on the front bezel.

Wanted to give a small update on the reassembly process.

I bought a special tool today that cuts perfect circles from 1" to 6" to cut new stickers for the Excaliburs. I went with 3M DiNoc fiber to give it just an added touch.

After I started assembling it really annoyed me that I knew that you could see the few bare wires on the Excalibur fans so I am sleeving all of them because this needs to be as close to perfection as possible. One down 8 to go...lol

Last couple builds I was smart and precut all of my 3/4" hose and labeled them so I could just grab them and install them as I build which is the best way to go imo.

Can't wait to fire this up and overclock it to at least 5.2ghz and run some benchmarks in triple SLI!

100_4235.jpg

100_4236.jpg

100_4237.jpg

100_4238.jpg

100_4240.jpg

100_4241.jpg

100_4244.jpg

100_4246.jpg

100_4247.jpg

100_4248.jpg

100_4251.jpg

100_4253.jpg