Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

68 posts in this topic

The Mod Zoo Hand Tool Kit Giveaway!

Proudly sponsored by VisionTek and MNPCTECH.

visiontek_pc_repair_tool_kit_mod_zoo_mnp

1. Entry must be registered member of Mod Zoo.

2. Tell us how you injured yourself OR ruined something because you didn't use the RIGHT tool. Post can be however long you like, but must be PC related. 
You have option of post a drawing or 4 photos to illustrate what happened?!

3. Share this Giveaway Link on facebook 

http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1218-the-mod-zoo-pc-mod-repair-tool-kit-giveaway/

4. Entry must be posted by Midnight, Feb 21st, Central time.

*mod zoo staffer, noobas4urus will chose the best story and announce the winner as a reply to this thread

on Feb 22nd, 2014 by Midnight, Central time.

1x VisionTek's product page for 26 Piece Toolkit for PCs

It takes a tech and serious computer builder to know what tools are needed to build a dream rig and keep it running at peak performance. So we asked our certified technicians what were the most useful tools they would want whether in the field or in the lab. Thus was born the VisionTek 26 Piece Toolkit.

The six piece screwdriver set features uncommon conveniences:

• Magnetic tips to assist screw placement in tight spaces as well as to keep screws from getting lost
  • Color coded tops and handles for at-a-glance selection ease
  • Rotating end caps maintain finger tip control
  • Rubber coated shafts for secure grip

A combination socket and bit driver with four sockets and 10 bits will help you tighten things down securely. Get a grip on things with the spring-loaded needle nose pliers and tweezers. Need to snip a cable tie or wire? The spring-loaded side cutter will go thru it like a warm knife through butter. To keep all this handiness organized and conveniently portable, all the tools are enveloped in an attractive nylon carrying case.

Screwdrivers:
Straight Blade 1.6mm Screwdriver
Straight Blade 2.0mm Screwdriver
Straight Blade 2.4mm Screwdriver
Straight Blade 3.0mm Screwdriver
Phillips #0 Screwdriver
Phillips #1 Screwdriver

Socket Set:
Socket & Bit Driver Handle
Socket Driver Extension Shaft
5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm Sockets
10 Piece Bit Group: 
5mm, 6mm Flat Blades
#1, #2 Phillips Screwdriver Bits
T10, T15, T20 Torx Bits
#1, #2 Pozidriv Bits
Socket Adapter
Plier, Wire Cutter, Tweezers:
5" Spring-load Needle Nose Pliers
4.5" Spring-load Wire Cutter
Tweezers
Case: Embroidered Nylon Carrying Case with Carrying Handle
Warranty: One Year

900670_large1.jpg

900670_large4.jpg

1x Black & Decker RTX-B 3-Speed RTX Rotary Tool.

black_decker_rtx_dremel_rotary_tool_pc_c

Get your job done faster with the Black & Decker 3 Speed RTX Rotary Tool. This Black & Decker RTX Rotary Tool, RTX-B can be used for cutting, engraving, sharpening, sanding, and polishing. It has a powerful high-torque motor and quickens the pace of your work. It features three speeds: 12,000/24,000/30,000 rpm, for the best results for each job. With the unique Flip-Lock spindle-lock system, accessory changes are done quickly and easily. The Universal collet system is compatible with all standard rotary tool accessories. Using this corded rotary tool is easy with a non-slip and comfortable grip. This Black & Decker 3 Speed RTX Rotary Tool works efficiently to meet your every expectation.

Black & Decker RTX-B Rotary tool:

Powerful, high-torque motor (twice the power and torque of the leading competitor) completes jobs faster, won't bog down under load. Exclusive Flip-Lock spindle-lock system for quick and easy accessory changes, eliminates need to hold down awkward button. Rubber molded grips for superior comfort and control. Universal collet system accepts all standard & DREMEL BRAND rotary tool accessories 3 speed (12,000/24,000/30,000 RPM) for maximum precision in all applications. The Black & Decker Rotary Tool has a separate 3 speed dial for "set and forget" convenience.

Specifications:

Model No.: RTX-B
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 1.6
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 6.0 x 2.5 x 10.63
Walmart No.: 001172850
What's Included
Top of Page
• 5 accessories
• storage bag
• user guide
• wrench

1x Mnpctech PC Case Mod Nibbler Hand Tool 

Use this Nibbling tool for cutting PC case panels. The PC Case Nibbler Tool is usedto cut soft material, such as sheet metal with minimal distortion. Nibblers are usually used to remove larger pieces of the material, before moving onto a hand file. Cut up to 1/16” Copper, Aluminum & plastic. Up to 18AWG Mild steel. Ideal for .062in PC board material. Hardened tool steel punch with steel body. 3/8" starting hole needed for cutouts.

pc_case_mod_sheet_metal_nibbler_cutting_

pc_case_mod_sheet_metal_nibbler_cutting_

1x Mnpctech PC Case Mod Ruler & Reference Tool

PC Modder Ruler & Gauge Measurement Tool by Mnpctech for PC Building, Modding and PC Repairs. Ruler size is 12" x 2" or 305mm x 50mm

Identify cooling fan sizes, computer screw threads, Vandal resistant switch, watercool barbs and hose diameters. Template locations for mounting internal and externaldrives. Thickness gauge for most common build materials. Templates for .16mm / 22mm Bulgin, Lamptron switches, G-1/4 & G 3/8 water cool barb and hose. 2.5" SSD, 3.5", 5.25 optical drive screw locations. Fastener Gauge.6/32, 8/32, 10/24, 10/32, 1/4-20, 3MM, 4MM, 5MM, 6MM Thickness Gauge. Tap / Drill & Decimal Conversion Chart.Measures Inches & Millimeters. This Ruler is CNC milled by Mnpctech from 1/8" thick solid aluminum and measures 12" x 2"

case_modders_ruler_measure_mnpctech2.jpgcase_modders_ruler_measure_mnpctech1.jpgcase_modders_ruler_measure_mnpctech3.jpg

1x Mnpctech PC Chassis Pop Rivet Gun

Medium Duty for installing 1/8" rivets in Computer Cases. Steel Construction Slim nose design and Spring loaded handle. Ejects rivet stem automatically. Includes 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", 3/16" Nose pieces.

25x Mnpctech PC Chassis Pop Rivets

1/8" Aluminum Pop-Rivet for Computer Cases. Available in Copper, Silver & Powder coat Black. Gripe range .092" - .125" for Computers.

pop_rivet_blind_tool_gun_computer_case_cpop_rivet_black_computer_case_chassis_do

1x Mnpctech ATX PSU Pin & Molex Removal Tool 

1x ATX Motherboard Pin & Molex Removal Tools Save time and headaches. Use these tools when custom sleeving your PC Power Supply and PC Molex connectors.

24_pin_PCI_ATX_PSU_power_supply_sleeve_rmolex_pin_male_female_sleeve_tool_extrac

1x Mnpctech Smith & Wesson Saftey Glasses 

Smith & Wesson "Elite" Safety Glasses: Black frame with Clear anti-fog lens. Lightweight "retro style" design. Dual lenses with an 8-base curve that provides wrap-around protection. Includes micro-fiber carry pouch that is doubles as a cleaning cloth. Meets the High Impact" level of the ANSI Z87.1+ safety standards.

smith.wesson.safety.glasses.ANSIZ87.1.jp

1. Did horrible lines or circles on my case without the mnpctech ruler that later i had to cut.

2. Ruined the thread of a lot of screws just because my screwdriver was not of the appropriate tip size.

3. Ruined a lot of PSU cables trying to sleeve them without the pin removal tools..

i put a 3 inch gash in my leg modding case mod pointless a few months ago because i didnt use a work bench... not sure that counts as a tool. but it still hasnt healed all the way!

her is a pic in its current state! this happened back in november mind you!

69082_10151847153586644_614332646_n.jpg

Back in 2008, i planned to put a acrylic window on a crappy cheap pc case (my first mod :P )

So i took a transparent acrylic sheet, a steel-made ruler and a sharp cutter.

I draw a first cutting line on the acrylic with a light pressure on the cutter.
I decided to cut one more time aong the same line but with more pressure...

But the ruler decided to go away, visit its cousin "the rubber", so it let my finger alone with the cutter... :o

PICT0002.jpg

That day, i beat a record: 9 stitches on one finger...

Now a wear strong gloves when i cut something with a cutter...

Hehe... glad you guys are doing this one! I recently was working on doing a custom window cutout for a buddy. He wanted a spider web cutout of his case door, plexi glass put behind it, and side emitting LED's shining through the plexiglass. (Really cool effect) So I was dremeling out the steel (should have been using a carbide tip) and I leaned in really close to get the detail ground out (I was using a heavy duty cutting wheel) when a piece of hot metal jumped out, bounced off my cheek, and I caught it in my eye (I was wearing safety glasses... but apparently they weren't big enough) I had to go to the ER two days later because it wouldn't come out. They dug it out, and had to have an optometrist use a tiny drill to cut the rust ring out. REALLY glad it didn't do any permanent damage. Wife won't let me mod my Tt Commander "Snow edition" to my Stormtrooper design until I have the proper tools (And a full face shield  )

I have never had any real great tools I use what ever I can when working on computers. While working on a PC for a family member I grabbed a screw driver to remove a screw that was next to the RAM and discovered I grabbed a magnetic screw driver, not only that after I removed the screw I dropped it into a little hole next to the board causing me to remove the mother board to get it out then my last stupid trick was after I put the motherboard back I bumped my magnifier light and the lens fell into the computer and cracked, after all this I decided to buy a second hand PC and transfer the my documents to it, the other computer made a nice aggression remover...

When I was first getting in to building computers when I was about 13 or 14 all I wanted was a window with a blue cold cathode in it! So I went out to the garage and found my dads router. Now, me being a naive kid, I mixed up dremel and router. Do you know what a 3/4hp router does to a side panel to a case? Man was that ever a wrestling match, I am surprised I didn't loose any digits. Too bad the side panel didn't come out of it as well as I did.

Was cutting a hole in a side panel to mount a fan years ago. Didn't own a jig saw so did the drill loads of holes then use a hand saw to cut between them trick. Getting towards the end of drilling and the drill caught punched the the panel and the rough metal sliced my wrist up pretty bad. Have one small scar left but luckily the rest healed up.

After drilling four terribly uneven, not properly measured holes in the bottom of my case, I quickly attached an extra case fan to blow onto my hard drives for some extra cooling. Sounds great, right? Well, I had to use 2 sets of doubled zip ties to hold that fan into place... which was all well and great until part of a zip tie got caught up in that fan. That caused the fan to burn out... whoops!

hate Borrowing my Nephews Dremel have been drilling out Rivets with a Flat Head Screw Driver most of the Time it a Mess with this Open Wound when Failed to Re...in...force that Loud NZXT Gamma  now it incomplete  and it looks Like a Crime Scene it a Mess big mess Freaked my Sister Blood Mess ... it all Crusty now ....

ouch1s.jpg

photo0121q.jpg

hate Borrowing my Nephews Dremel have been drilling out Rivets with a Flat Head Screw Driver most of the Time it a Mess with this Open Wound when Failed to Re...in...force that Loud NZXT Gamma  now it incomplete  and it looks Like a Crime Scene it a Mess big mess Freaked my Sister Blood Mess ... it all Crusty now ....

ouch1s.jpg

Did you recreate it for the pic for us? That is not real blood, not by a long shot

As I said on the Face book page, this is not PC modding related but close. I used to build CAT scan machines for Philips Healthcare for 6 years. We had a screw snap off on one of the cathode generators, I think a 8-32, and we had to drill it out. I was holding a towel on the generator with my hand making a diamond shape around the bit drilling to keep debris from getting inside. The bit snapped when the guy was drilling and the broken part of the bit still in the drill plummeted to the surface right through the flesh of my finger next to the bone and totally pierced it, in one side and out the other. It was a decent sided hole, and had to go to the little emergency place that Philips had, no stitches were required but they brushed it with iodine to clean it and just wrapped it with a bandage..I'm never putting my hands near a drill bit someone else is drilling ever again. The guy who was drill was a total feces flinging dumb feces generator too. lol Oh well live and learn. Sorry I don't have any pics it was about 6 years back.

While modding I have smacked the Dremel cutting wheels into my knuckles at 30,000 rpms more than a few times leaving burnt smeared skin and a awkward scab that doesn't heal correctly. 

My horror story:  I got a new AMD 8350 FX processor and it being my first one with pins. I laid the chip in the socket wrong and with a mighty crunch; I heard $200 going down the drain. The cpu cooler crushed most of the pins flat.   I sat for 3 hours trying to pull all the pins back straight with credit cards, safety pin, thread needle and ended up breaking 4 on the pins off.   I couldn't believe what I had done! I died a little that day.

I just finished building a nice rig and would love to have these tools to start doing some MODZ of my own. This will be my first Modded gaming rig. 

A $200 paper weight;  I still feel sick just thinking about it.

79b292999a91e2ab45cdf1d9a4e8faac_zps3344a74ee80b3271ae992729199910020441_zps95bd845fbf4118fda87885a28731a9e33e31_zpsaeb7c7dafda12bd49c1a7e4be57b87cd1835_zpsb3da

Once burnt a hole through my pants with a soldering iron and nearly burnt the tip of my money maker , because I didn't use a holder for the soldering iron, my work paid for new pants so it wasn't all bad, but of course the whole IT dept made fun of me for weeks afterwards,

Well, on this one fine sping day.  I wanted to get a good start on a long term mirror finish job.  I had finished my cuting, that took over 3 weeks, and managed to not cut my finger off.  I was feeling good about the lack of injuries and started on the next evolution, the wet sanding.  Oh how that intricate cut look so nice.  But it was fagile, and I had to be very carefull how much force I used to sand it.  It was a tribal Yin&Yang on a case panel.  While wet sanding on it for that mirror finish one of the "Sharp" points went under the fingernail. 

Well, I did not take pictures.  I was NOT in the right frame of mind, nope not one bit.  Heck, I don't think I even heard the cry of my daughter as she looked on.  Ouchi was the NICE way to put it, and I was trying to be NICE because my kids were watching me warning me that mom would be mad to see what I was doing in the kitchen sink.  (Wife hates it when I wet sand in the sink)

Days later when the throbbing finally stopped, I still did not think to take a picture. 

FinishedwithCutting.jpg

That is the cut, and it was it was the right bottom point that impaled me.

That spot has a mar where the metal bent and I had to fix it.  I know to look for it, I'll never forget.  Here is the finished look.

DSC05685.jpg 

Well here is my story, (Sorry no pics) 

While back, when i was just doing some maint cleaning, and i was just removeing some cards, and i did not have a philips driver, but only had a flat head. i was removeing the sound card, and unscrewing the screw, i sliped with the driver and nicked the back side of the sound card. i looked and it seemed to be ok, but i turned on the pc, and saw a spark, and then a whole bunch of smoke... Well shoot, i guess its time for a upgrade...

That sound card cost. Was $80.00 down the drain, and only had it for 6 months. but any ways, i didnt like the quality of the sound. so i upgraded to something better. Spent $250.00 This time... Now, its rocks...

Well guys this is my story.

Back in 2007, it was nearly impossible to get a proper rotatory tool AKA Dremel.... or any other brand, here locally, in my country's hardware stores.

Back in that days i really want to get on this thing of PC Case modding, so i have a case with no brand; i had succesfully change the LED of the 80mm fans, to make all the case's fan blue. But i really want to make a blow hole in the side panel and in the upper panel (the roof). But with no Dremel, i used a drill with the largest drill bit i had by that time... so, the final result was a mess, i really ruin the whole piece. 

Both, the side panel and the upper panel, end up with blow holes, that looks like some kind of flower. I really screw up with that drill. Finally like a year later, i got my very first Dremel and get another new case and make a more decent blow hole.

Here Some Photo of that day:

th_74799_IMG_0868_122_454lo.JPG  th_74801_IMG_0891_122_114lo.JPG

See ya!!

ahh I don't have any photo's but the only thing I ever did I was soldering a few wires together making my own led lighting for my case It was just a simple design I took a molex y connector and soldered in a few high intensity blue led's to a resistor. Half way through I dropped the soldering iron and it was headed for my nether regions so I grabbed it between 2 of my fingers on my left hand needless to say I have a pretty good scar from the burnt tissue. :) Just thought I would share anyway even though I don't have pictures.

Hey

Let me tell you my story of creating Test Bench Table .
Everything seemed to be great, easy to work on creating such a case should not anyone bring problems.
Early morning 7:00 am , rested and ready to take action , I decided to take up the case .
I dressed up in worse clothes and walked into the garage , then founded a new shield on the grinder .
At the beginning I cut a rectangle in the sidebar to place a tray underneath the motherboard .
Came the cut-out square on the air inlet from the power supply , just a straight cut .
I made one cut and suddenly bang burst disc on a grinder , a piece of blade shot straight into my eyebrow right at the eye.
Suddenly she started to fly blood, I felt nothing but a big shock .
My mother heard a scream and ran to the room almost fainted at the sight of blood.
All the luck that the health center is near and soon the shard was removed and no infection is not there .
 I got a lesson of life for using a protective goggles and appropriate grinding of the blade guard .
He almost lost my eye, and now I thank God that his hand over me watched .
Such a warning to others spare no on safety health and life is worth a lot more than glasses for $ 5.
And at the end of the image to show proof.

Regards
DrToxic

o29g.jpg