Orange Clockwerk

CNC Router Parts PRO4'x2' Build. Update 7/9/14 Bring you up to speed! Almost hear that spindle!!

Looks good so far.

Good luck on a "proper" worklog on the Zone you can't edit posts after 2 days.

seriously!? thats so dumb! I need to always edit my first post to go back and put in new materials and links to updates like my grey matter and black frost logs lol. that site is balls =/

TMZ... better then CNCzone, OFFICIAL

What guide system did you end up deciding on? if you follow the plans you showed me 100% you will be using a mix of linear flat guide and V runners

did you check out the alternatives, supported rail, floating rail ect? although floating linear rail is no good for any heavy work due to deflection. My new machine will be running on 16mm supported rails, partly aesthetic, partly costs, but used correctly they are very strong

I got some work in on the CNC over the last few days. I managed to get a free set of legs from work which ended up being perfect for the CNC table. I had to modify it slightly but it was a really nice come up.

Well here are the photos! Enjoy!

My M8 T-nut Roll-in's came in which let me start assembling

9Y09OKQ.jpg

E24KG9P.jpg

I finished drilling all the brackets.

obtUFgE.jpg

BQcmle7.jpg

I found it easiest to attach the bolts to the T-nuts through the bracket and then slide them in the tracks.

52pFh6f.jpg

LC82RND.jpg

wsZMJU7.jpg

Once the brackets were in I started bolting them up to get an idea of the out come. I am picking up the last of my base hardware today so I can attach the center support beam.

4KTpXxD.jpg

JqIMER0.jpg

Once that base was set up I started to assemble the legs and got them standing.

LOsbZ1l.jpg

CAmj2rj.jpg

QrWqVXQ.jpg

YFNFmbh.jpg

All the current parts laid out. I started to assemble the table. The table slats were too long so they need to be cut down.

1Dts229.jpg

j9x8ZYC.jpg

3AvF2i4.jpg

I brought in the legs to the correct size. Lined them up and drilled my own holes in the slats to bolt it all together.

tDxOHHS.jpg

2rSzrPR.jpg

flnqMVr.jpg

I made sure the legs and table was square in all directions. 

L8NiiGu.jpg

I bolted on the slats in their new position and that's where I stopped last night.

Zs4B3Ps.jpg

I need to cut the ends off the slats, bore out some holes on legs and attach the base to the legs. It looks like my CRP parts will be here next monday so I will probably have an update when the whole base is finished. Thanks for watching so far! Stay tuned!

Yeah they are super legit! Especially for free!, Im going to build a plywood shelf on the beams between the legs then remove the front slat and jsut use one slat, but it shoudl still be extremely sturdy, Then Im going to build cabinets for a vacuum, PC, CNC controller,water Spindle cooling, and a cabinet for my mill bits. It will be slick =D

Yeah they are super legit! Especially for free!, Im going to build a plywood shelf on the beams between the legs then remove the front slat and jsut use one slat, but it shoudl still be extremely sturdy, Then Im going to build cabinets for a vacuum, PC, CNC controller,water Spindle cooling, and a cabinet for my mill bits. It will be slick =D

if you have a solid mill bed rather then a floating type that will all all the rigidity you will ever need to the base

if you have a solid mill bed rather then a floating type that will all all the rigidity you will ever need to the base

What do you mean by mill bed? the spoil board? or putting a table top on the legs and build a CNC on the table top?

Coming along pretty well.  Can't wait for more.

Thanks! Your telling me, I can' wait! now that its starting to take shape! This Friday Ill be ordering the parts to make one of the gantry supports. So Ill have some motion soon =D

Ah, flashback. I got one of those worktables cleaning a rent house, I should have kept it. It was sturdy as hell. Someone had wrecked their car on one of the legs, and it was impossible for me to straighten.

I think Toby is talking about getting everything everything square and level with a sturdy base. Or he could be talking about Ewoks...

Jealous

=D That's how I have been feeling for the 9 months or so I've been modding and watching work logs with CNCs involved lol

Ah, flashback. I got one of those worktables cleaning a rent house, I should have kept it. It was sturdy as hell. Someone had wrecked their car on one of the legs, and it was impossible for me to straighten.

I think Toby is talking about getting everything everything square and level with a sturdy base. Or he could be talking about Ewoks...

Yeah these tables are insanely rigid! I have the CNC base bolted to the legs now and the thing is ridiculously sturdy. There is no give whatsoever with all my strength thrown at it, may dad and I were trying to shake it around and it wouldn't budge, its solid as a rock. =D

Ill have another update on this probably Tuesday because some parts from CNCrouterparts.com will be here Monday and I wanted to install those parts before I update.

Yesterday I ordered all the parts for the gantry support risers so those parts should be trickling in over the next week or so. Then I can actually see something move =D So far though Its been a steady flow of parts coming in and it gives me time to plan this out nice and organized instead of getting the whole kit in one day and rushing to put it together and messing something up. 

What do you mean by mill bed? the spoil board? or putting a table top on the legs and build a CNC on the table top?

Some mills have essentialy 2 beds, one is solid metal, either made from one single thick metal plate or alu extrusion, it adds a lot of stiffness and of course a lot of weight, but it also takes a lot of stress off the corner joints as it acts like a giant corner plate.and then add a spoil board in top.

A floating bed is a super thick spoil board that sits on extrusion to support it much like floor joists, cheaper but far less heavy duty, in hobby level CNC floating beds are typically 4 axis machines, the bed being removable to allow for more radius height on a work piece

Some mills have essentialy 2 beds, one is solid metal, either made from one single thick metal plate or alu extrusion, it adds a lot of stiffness and of course a lot of weight, but it also takes a lot of stress off the corner joints as it acts like a giant corner plate.and then add a spoil board in top.

A floating bed is a super thick spoil board that sits on extrusion to support it much like floor joists, cheaper but far less heavy duty, in hobby level CNC floating beds are typically 4 axis machines, the bed being removable to allow for more radius height on a work piece

Okay I see what your saying now. Well I was planning on a thick feces generator MDF spoil board and cut some lines in it to mount T-tracks probably. If its not rigid enough Ill make a permanent tabletop and put spoil board on that.

Ill have an update tomorrow, I just finished mounting the steel rails.The machine is so insanely rigid Im pretty impressed. 

Back with another UPDATE! I wanted to share my progress to this point. My V-con clamps from CNC Router Parts came in along with my gear rack. They were supposed to cut the gear rack in half but forgot, luckily I was going to be ordering an uncut gear rack for the gantry next Friday and they will just cut that one instead. It will work out as long as the next one is cut into two 26" racks. Anyway on with the update!

Well once the table legs were set, I needed to expand the holes into grooves to make the extrusions connect properly. Nothing a Dremel and a couple files can't fix =D

HGJJ3BA.jpg

i6oGeXF.jpg

nOp8cQZ.jpg

ReErtvf.jpg

8gSQ7CA.jpg

bRDhkuu.jpg

Once those were cut out, I took the Dremel to the excess material on the slats that support the table legs.

BfplhtI.jpg

T1MKhy1.jpg

3zRyMWG.jpg

EEWLgRa.jpg

vucvafn.jpg

m43rcfo.jpg

Once I had the legs set up and ready I started attaching the base to the legs.

7K5dUth.jpg

tgGAZce.jpg

HT4TITL.jpg

y7G0PI3.jpg

zZm4xlV.jpg

Once the base was on the table I was waiting on the CNCRP parts. When they arrived I was able to attach the V-con clamps and the steel rails that the gantry supports ride on.

zwTnasl.jpg

xEAagwf.jpg

8VNHRQC.jpg

M1hnMeD.jpg

dWeeHn8.jpg

vBlqVHs.jpg

zZDxN1O.jpg

x9szvtu.jpg

Well that's all I have for now. Most of the parts for the gantry support risers are in already, and the last of the parts are already shipped and in the mail. I am hoping to get them built this coming weekend to have another update for you guys next week! Thanks for watching!

Looks good! I didn't realize you went with the "Pro" version. 

Nice choice.

Yeah they said the PRO version is probably the most rigid CNC table in its class. I also figured if I'm going to go through with this I might as well make the better one. Also the PRO was the build set up to be 4x2 instead of 2x4 so when I expand the CNC table later on ill have the 4ft gantry already and just need to stretch the table.

Hey there Mod Zoo Bros!! Got my Gantry supports built the other day, all parts came in quickly which Im always happy about! Once the CNC Router Parts brackets arrived it was go time! Here is what I got done! Enjoy!

The parts from 80/20Inc arrived first. I ordered a 2ft 8016 extrusion and precut triangle stock. I was going to drill my own holes for cheaper parts but the pre-drilled gussets came from CRP so I didn't have to. I did have to cut the extrusion into two 240mm lengths. I used a miter say in my maintenance room at work. I didn't want to bang up my own blade at home haha =D

BAdWXMO.jpg

p9Iy39m.jpg

J1nBsDA.jpg

eMwBIB8.jpg

rIxuycv.jpg

Later in the week the CRP order came in with the brackets assemblies for the riser supports. I had the extrusion cut and ready to go. I printed out the PDF blueprints for a reference and it was super easy to assemble.

4zDYRVm.jpg

gXc2bYA.jpg

HjlPejX.jpg

zjhULlA.jpg

c7yMMoc.jpg

u2QySal.jpg

QQVXn9L.jpg

Z5sSLk6.jpg

0EjEgI6.jpg

QK7dXKf.jpg

RnkPGdo.jpg

0MLqX93.jpg

3AiHa9w.jpg

Like I said everything went together super easy with a few quick looks at the PDF files for correct orientation. Once I had the riser assemblies built up I slid them right on the metal rails and now I have some moving parts!

rkwwdV5.jpg

5rmkNCd.jpg

lurXy20.jpg

Iiq0jti.jpg

I posted a video to youtube for some friends who wanted to see video updates as the build goes on so heres the first one. Ill start editing them and making them better now that I have some new software for that.

Well that is it for now! Thanks for watching! ill be ordering the gantry materials this Friday and I will have an update shortly after! Take care.

Killer looking!!

I officially hate you now!  :P

I like the simplicity the pro version uses and should stay solid for long time once initial wear in is over.

You going with their Z assembly with ball screw?

Can't wait to see what you do "special" with the water cooled spindle.

Looking good Jim, very cool to see this come together, thanks for throwing up a log.

Thanks bud! No problem, I wanted to make a log here for people to watch a CNC build, maybe they will be inspired to build one =D

going from strength to strength jim  B)

Thanks B!!

Killer looking!!

I officially hate you now!  :P

I like the simplicity the pro version uses and should stay solid for long time once initial wear in is over.

You going with their Z assembly with ball screw?

Can't wait to see what you do "special" with the water cooled spindle.

hahah =D Yeah Im really glad I went with the PRO, it seems super solid. Yes Im going to be getting that ballscrew Z-axis off the CRP site, its 600$ I think and I believe it comes assembled. As for the cooling the spindle I have a triple 120mm radiator and a nice reservoir left of from PC modding. I think I'm going to use it and just get a pump and some fittings and Ill be good to go =D I wanna use hard-line tubing inside the Electronics box and have 2 bulkheads on the box and have tygon out to the spindle =D Its gonna look clean =D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Chatbox
    There's a thing here. Somehow it moved to the top of the page, but I didn't do it. No, really! But still, Cheaps is likely to blame...
    You don't have permission to chat.