Sign in to follow this  
Fidgit13

New to modding, brainstorming ideas for my first build.

Hello everyone, 

I am new to modding, I have always loved to the custom look and mods that people come up with when I look to buy/build me a new computer, so I decided I would try to do some mods myself and see how it goes.

I have not decided on a theme yet, all I have come up with is my color scheme.  I have yet to purchase anything as of yet because i want to have a firm grasp on where i want to go before jumping in and blowing allot of money on things i don't need right away. 

For my color scheme i would like to go with a White/Black.  But when trying to think of a theme to go with with this color scheme I tend to drift to racing and I'm not really a fan of racing.  I am hesitant to choose a theme of a game (don't want to pick something and latter end up not liking the game all that much) 

I have decided to go with a Corsair 900D case for the room (as i would like to add water cooling next year) and there is plenty of ways to make it my own.

As for tools and experience, I don't have many tools right now, just basic screwdriver sets for tearing apart my current electronics.  I know i will have to purchase some tools, I myself have never worked with tools much so suggestions on starting tools and brands would be very helpful.

Thank you all, and keep up the amazing work.  Hope to be one of you soon.

900D is a nice case, but might I recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Primo. Its more user friendly compared to the 900D. But if you like the 900D, than there is no question.

Nothing wrong in a black and white theme, I'm a big fan of those. A sabertooth motherboard would be perfect for that kind of mod/build. What I would suggest is draw up some ideas on paper and see if you like them. Sometimes a nicely executes paint job can set your build apart. 

Start simple and slow, and take it forward as you go.

For tools, I would recommend that you get a rotary tool (Black and Decker is great) like dremel as your first toy. And like I said, start slow as you learn more things, you can get the tools needed. 

Happy modding, and welcome to the zoo.

Check out this thread for more info on tools - http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/415-suggestions-for-pc-case-mod-tools/

Welcome to the zoo!

I agree with Jesse. A Black and Decker RTX is a great rotary tool to start with, and relatively cheap. Pair that with a couple of hand files, and you should be able to do almost whatever you want. A Jig saw, and a Drill would be the next things I'd probably get to make life easier. That's depending on what you plan to do, of course.

There doesn't necessarily have to be a set theme from something pre-existing for a mod. You could just do a clean white/black mod and make it a "black and white theme". When I did my Visible Contrast mod, I didn't so much go for a theme, as I did an idea.

Happy modding!

Thank you for advice and link, I went out and got me a Black and Decker rotary tool today.  My next paycheck I'm buying the case and other tools so I can start my modding.