kamakasi

petg problem

So i used the petg tubing. Setup went fine. But after running computer for awhile one of the hoses actually melted on fitting to cpu block. Has anyone heard of this happening. my temps were fine this is why i am confused. Any help would be nice

Thanks

Rusty

Can you provide more information about the loop? 

1. Hardware and Specs

2. System temps and Ambient temps

3. Water Cooling specs - Like what rad and how many, how many fans on rad, what blocks.

Also if possible do you have any pics?

I'm interested to hear responses to the above as well. Trying to figure out why the PETG would have issues, but the pump wouldn't? If I'm not mistaken, "Safe operating" temperature range of both are the same...

Lain DDC Pump with EK X-res 150 top, PETG tubing with primo chill ghost fittings, EK Black cpu block.

Black ice thin radiator 2 x 120mm Corsair SP Fans. Radiator is mounted on front. Ambient temp around 65-68F. Idle temp for CPU was 37-39C Prime 95, 45 mins showed 49C. 

System

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Gskill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3

PSU Corsair CX600M...600watt modular

AMD PHenom II x4 955BE

im just trying to figure out how that melted and nothing else did.

Rusty

crazy part it was fluid coming from radiator which would be the coolest coolant in the loop

no but i can tell you it is 20% fatter than it was. my ONLY thought was that it didnt go RIGHT into place i had to assist it to the right and in.Does that make sense?

That still does not sound like expected behaviour for the tube. I have the same mobo, and 8320 CPU, I'm tempted to play with this now, I also have the same rad.

Are you running the DDC pump on full throttle, or is it controlled?

so i noticed last night when i bumped the pump power cable that it would shut off. So i redid wires and gave it the Rusty test (moving wires) EVERY way they could go and it didnt shut off. tubing is now done and i ran leak test for 8 hours. if he pump shut off and the water around cpu heated up really bad then that would melt/blow a tube. Kind of like a radiator hose in a car. Water pump dies, you blow a hose...or engine.

Rusty

so i noticed last night when i bumped the pump power cable that it would shut off. So i redid wires and gave it the Rusty test (moving wires) EVERY way they could go and it didnt shut off. tubing is now done and i ran leak test for 8 hours. if he pump shut off and the water around cpu heated up really bad then that would melt/blow a tube. Kind of like a radiator hose in a car. Water pump dies, you blow a hose...or engine.

Rusty

Pump shutting off could be the cause as to what had happened, so could be that the PETG strength helped prevent a major accident. 

it only has one setting. On

You can still control the pump speed through a fan controller, if it's rated for enough wattage (some are rated for 30w+/channel. It can be useful, if the pump is noisy, and  you don't need the flow rate as high.

no. i do not have a pressure equalization valve

I've never run one, either.

Rusty

Sounds like this could likely be the issue. I have a feeling that the PETG being resilient and only melting/deforming prevented problems that could have been worse...

Well either way im using Primochill now. It was fastest way to get tubing. Redid wiring to pump seems to be doing alot better now. Running prime since this SHOULD be the HOTTEST the PC Gets. oh side note it sweet talking to people ive seen on a webisode for the record. I watch them often that primochill petg tubing guide thing with the noob ive watched that...to many times. That is what inspired me to start a water cooling build actually. along with window mod from Bill. ill keep updates on whats going on.

Rusty

Well either way im using Primochill now. It was fastest way to get tubing. Redid wiring to pump seems to be doing alot better now. Running prime since this SHOULD be the HOTTEST the PC Gets. oh side note it sweet talking to people ive seen on a webisode for the record. I watch them often that primochill petg tubing guide thing with the noob ive watched that...to many times. That is what inspired me to start a water cooling build actually. along with window mod from Bill. ill keep updates on whats going on.

Rusty

You are very welcome Rusty, and feel free to share your log with us here at the zoo.