The term “To Mothball” is military in origin, it's definition translates to - "Held in reserve against a time when it may be necessary to call back into service"

Say hello to my Mothball  :D

ff0bTZch.jpg

W9Laovbh.jpg

agUgrQzh.jpg

What we have here is the chassis of a Silverstone PS07 (Precision Series), I last used this chassis about 15 months ago - more often as not I give away or sell all my old cases, this one however I kept as in my honest opinion it is one of the most versatile mATX chassis ever made (along with it's sibling the TJ08).

Dk1mY7o.jpg

The one down side to the PS07 is it's cheap and ugly stock case front, Silverstone certainly did it no favours here (the TJ08 fairs much better in this respect); I kinda destroyed mine whilst zeroing in the scope on a firearm a while ago (I sh*t you not lol).

Soooo the first order of business in the project will be to create a new one, my inspirations for this stage of the build are our very own E.E.L. Ambiense and Cheapskate; both never cease to amaze me - Eel for his ability to recycle, take to the brink of destruction and create miracles and Cheaps to create anything from what basically amounts to nothing.

Did I also mention that to create the aforementioned case front I’ll be using nothing except the materials I have lying around and with the exception of a new motherboard everything else will be donated if you like from another build... 

More to follow soon  :)

Be gentle lol

I'm a CAD illiterate so no sketch up concepts, this is a mental image translated into the physical form; I did mean to take pictures along the way but got so engrossed in what I was doing... You know how it is  :D

This is the test fit result of a couple of hours labour this morning -

ZxSDxkZh.jpg

The material I'm using is 1.4mm thick black core mountboard this will be covered with black self adhesive vinyl, all the cutting work was done by hand with a Stanley knife (Xacto knife); the six holes you see are to allow the panel to sit flush, six pop rivets hold the upper portion of the case to the case frame (the vinly will mask these).

Basically what I need for the build is a high airflow case front with a power on button (Power LED) and reset button (HD activity), I'll be installing a couple of anti-vandal switches in the upper quarter of the case front to faciltate this; onboard sound ports I never use and I have an external USB3 hub to cover that base.

Clean and minimalist.

First off, Thanks.:D -I will say it helps to hoard neat junk. 

2nd: Cardboard? :lol: You might want to step up a bit to at least MDF. Even heavy cardboard doesn't hold it's shape well when covered with vinyl.

First off, Thanks. :D -I will say it helps to hoard neat junk. 

2nd: Cardboard? :lol: You might want to step up a bit to at least MDF. Even heavy cardboard doesn't hold it's shape well when covered with vinyl.

Yup cardboard, be it finest quality variety  :lol:

I'll replace if with PETG sheet at a later date and lets just say I'm curious as to whether or not it will hold it's shape; I'll be ordering some PETG for my Retro build anyway and with time at a premium of late this is a quick fix with materials available to hand  :D

Never been a fan of that stuff either. It likes to melt and seize drill bits and saw blades.

Your plan works, though. All the cardboard will work as a template later. -I bet you already knew that, though.;)

The first test fit...

Ok some real progress in a spare hour I managed to grab to myself - I've found some sheets of 1.5mm HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) floating about the place, this will serve my purpose perfectly :D

I shall let the pictures do the talking, please forgive the quality - I'll take some more in natural light tomorrow.

wQ3vMhth.jpg

HVpiUyNh.jpg

hrtJ37ph.jpg

I got it spot on first time around and it fits like a glove; no laser cutter or CNC just good old fashioned hand tools and a cordless drill  ;)

One small step for our Munky, one giant leap for Munkykind. I think it's great that youre delving into scratch building Paul! ...and use whatever method you feel comfortable with in devising your design, dude! .....There is NO rules to modding...

Very honored that Paul has chosen to use Mnpctech's machined aluminum "diamond knurl" PC Case Feet on another on of his ultra clean gaming PC builds , http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-stereo-desktop-case-feet/

computer_feet_machined_aluminum_mnpctech

banner_mnpctech_pc_case_mod_store_feet1_

One small step for our Munky, one giant leap for Munkykind. I think it's great that youre delving into scratch building Paul! ...and use whatever method you feel comfortable with in devising your design, dude! .....There is NO rules to modding...

Oh very true  :lol:  :D cheers buddy, with the level of talent on The Zoo it's kinda hard to avoid the bug catching at some point  ;)

Funny enough that HIPS sheeting is a really versatile, light weight and cheap material to use; It was great to get some hands on time with the tools (strangely you don't realise how much you miss it) I'm really going to have to get past the CAD illiteracy of mine though. 

Ps. I think the case front is a prime canidate for some Plastidip treatment  B)

The cold light of day...

As promised a couple of pics in the cold light of day, the other pics look like renders lol -

IA03c8Dh.jpg

av4LfNEh.jpg

Time to drill out those pop rivets and replace them with countersunk screws I think...

Looks good. The cuts are nice and clean. -Not sure why Bill called it scratch building if it's attached to a case. :lol:

Cheers Cheaps, I'm really pleased with it  :D

With reference to the cuts, Xacto knife for the straight edges (the material is thin enough to facilitate this), the ever essential hole saw and tidy up with some needle files.

Ps. Not guilty at the scratch build though it is a scratch made panel  :P

A few more pics...

Pop rivets drilled out and replaced with countersunk M3 4mm screws (the two screw heads that aren't flush in the picture were made flush apon viewing the pic  :lol: )

Tiog1IIh.jpg

This now allows the panel to sit flush to the frame.

ZqnIrMih.jpg

Internal view looking out - the panel is secured in place with 4 x M4 6mm Button Head screws.

wPq2WvDh.jpg

I like the design, and how you are making it (agreed that it makes for a great template). Me personally I don't like the top where you have the 2 buttons. They kind of look weird, I think I would have them side by side, and not vertical. 

Overall the case looks nice to me. 

I like the design, and how you are making it (agreed that it makes for a great template). Me personally I don't like the top where you have the 2 buttons. They kind of look weird, I think I would have them side by side, and not vertical. 

Overall the case looks nice to me. 

Thanks Jesse, your feedback and comments are always welcome mate  :)

I always envisaged it to be a working prototype, the fact I can pop the hood so to speak at a later date and template it onto say aluminium or stainless steel sheet is a huge plus; with reference to the buttons, I'll mock it up complete with grill over the weekend so as to offer up a better visual reference as to where I'm coming from - I'll also unveil the Motherboard that will be going into the build and explain the method in what some might perceive as madness for the change lol. 

Love the chassis.  Brother to the TJ08E minus the front, it's a solid little guy.  Faceplate template is decent, I like how your having it sit flush.  Anodized aluminum in the future?  That'd look sweet.

Love the chassis.  Brother to the TJ08E minus the front, it's a solid little guy.  Faceplate template is decent, I like how your having it sit flush.  Anodized aluminum in the future?  That'd look sweet.

Hey Stuart  :)

Great chassis I agree and I think this highlights it's versatility further still ;) 

Taken to mind reading have you? :lol: 

The future options I had considered were (in no particular order of preference) -

• Brushed stainless steel
  • Anodized aluminium
  • Machined POM/delrin

All perfectly doable  B)

Mocking up...

So this morning I set about mocking up the front panel with a variety of 240mm grills and anti-vandal switches I have, this is a combination I'm fairly happy with   :)

ZAvYX59h.jpg

vZhneEth.jpg

The grill is a brushed stainless steel 240mm E22 FG03 (gotta love Nates designs :wub: )  and the switches are Lamptron.

diggin direction dude, nice and clean!

:D Cheers bud, very much appreciated when your way out of the normal comfort zone.

A glimpse of the future...

And here's what has prompted the change -

jjP6oLlh.jpg

Say hello to the newly unboxed Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE, I picked it up for a steal at £70 ($115 give or take)  :D

Im diggin it dude.  More Please ;)

I'll have more coming in the next day or so fella  ;)

lookin good

that is a good deal on the mobo

paid quite a bit more for mine  :huh:

Thank you Fuzzy  :)

And I struck gold on that board I will admit :D  

Nice deal on the mobo Paul, I think I should have you find me deals from now on lol. 

The front of the case is starting to grow on me. Cant wait to see where you take this next.