If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

Hello the Mod Zoo!

My name is Johan Nyman, Im 20 years old and living in Sweden, enough with that. ;)/>

I just finished with a little HTPC/NAS build, so now I can start with my next project. I have been waiting to start working on this. Ive been planning how to make this as good as possible. This is the project I will spend most time on ever. Hope you will enjoy this log, feel free to comment and please give me advice and tips.

Lets start with a little info about this build. You may remember a build I made called Cold Winter. I posted it on several forums around a year ago. I also made a version 2 of it, and now the third and last version is coming.

This is my favorite build of all time, so now I want to make it as goodlooking as possible. What Im going to do is to correct the mistakes Ive made before, add some features to hide cables and things like that. I will also fill it with a little bit newer hardware and this time Im going for some nice watercooling, not an all-in-one like the Antec Kuhler I had in V.2.

List of things to do:

• Paint the right acrylic side of the case (on the inside) black, so you cant see in from the side. Thats the side where the motherboard will be installed.
  • Make coverplates out of acrylic to cover cables, psu and waterpump.
  • Make a hole in the bottom and in the backpanel for the new psu.
  • File down the acrylic so it fits perfectly with the acrylic piece.
  • Sleeve everything white, black and aqua.
  • Hide as much of the cables as possible
  • Install watercooling
Hardware:

MB: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI

CPU: AMD A10-6800K

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4gb 2133MHz

SSD: Samsung 840 120gb

PSU: Be-Quiet SFX 300W

In V.2 I used AMDs Llano, and I fell in love. Since then I have been waiting for the next generation and now Trinity is here. When I have time for games I either play Starcraft 2 or Dota 2 and those arent really hardware demanding games, but the Trinity still is pretty good. So what I want is a HTPC but with possibilities of some simpler games to be played. So what I want to add for hardware is a m-itx motherboard for Trinity, socket FM2. As APU I want the best possible so Im trying to get a hold of a A10-6800K, and then add 2 sticks of 4GB DDR3 2133MHz ram.

EKWB! Thank you for helping me.

wwyw.jpg

Be Quiet sponsored me with a Shadow Rock 2.

w375.jpg

Gigabyte sponsored me with a GA-F2A88XN-WIFI.

ow3v.png

MNPCTech sponsored me with this fan grill to have in the front, should look awesome!

Clear Acrylic 120mm Overkill "Nautilus" PC Fan Grill from Mnpctech.com

fgz4.jpg

clear_overkill_nautilus_120mm_fan_grill1

img0383hk.jpg

img0382vb.jpg

EK DCP 2.2 Combo:

img0381c.jpg

What Ive done so far is to strip the case from almost everything except the LCD and powerswitch.

Front:

img0391otv.jpg

Back:

img0393u.jpg

Left side:

img0392xf.jpg

Right side. This is the side I want to paint black on the inside so you cant see into it from here.

img0394yt.jpg

The acrylic is pretty messed up as you can see. It was that from the beginning. Many scratches. But at the same time I feel like it gives the case a kind of vintage look, I still want to make it look a bit nicer though. So I will start by cleaning and polish it as much as possible. Do any of you guys know how to remove scratches from acrylic? Clearcoat it? Use a little blowtorch? Any advice?

First thing Im going to start with is to cut the acrylic maybe 3-4mm so it fits perfect with the white plate. Then paint the backside of the acrylic black. So this is what I have to work with for a couple of weeks:

img0397qi.jpg

Will be updating as much as possible. Please comment and give me advice and tips. Everything and everyone is welcome.

Thats all for today! :)

Johan Nyman

This is how Im planning to place the PSU and pump/res. Im going to hide them later with a bended acrylic sheet, only the reservoar part will be showing a little bit.

img0399pz.jpg

Fits perfectly. Going to make a nice little hole in the bottom for the psu, with some kind of dustfilter.

img0400pe.jpg

img0401es.jpg

I really like this tinted acrylic!

img0402dz.jpg

Im going to Dreamhack here in Sweden this weekend, so wont have any update. Maybe could post a picture from Dreamhack.

See ya!

Johan Nyman

Great build, Thank you for sharing it Johan! :)/>

Thank you Bill. Always fun to share and meet more people. :)/>

Nice work C4B12. I like the simplicity of it, clean and simple. Looking forward to more updates ;)/>

Thank you! :)/>

I havent made so much to the case yet, just started to clean the acrylic and prepare for a little bit of black paint. But on the hardware side something is going forward atleast. Today I ordered pretty much of the hardware I will be using. Ive been planning this build for a couple of weeks, and I thought I would try to talk to some companys about sponsorships and so on. Took some time to write some emails but didnt get any real positive answers, but I know Im not so good at writing so I dont blame anyone. Enough with that, the hardware I ordered today was a motherboard, APU and ram.

Asrock FM2A75M-ITX

AMD A10-5800K

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4gb 2133MHz

That black Asrock motherboard looks really good and Corsairs new ram looks nice too, that cold white LEDs fits perfect for my build. So thats probably it for today, going away for the weekend, visiting Dreamhack, but next week Im planning on putting up a update with some pictures of my progress.

Just a question for you, I have some other already completed builds, do you want me to make a completed worklog for those?

And another thing, something that would make me happy is if you want to check out my facebook page and "like" it. I post smaller updates and other things there. Also has pictures of old builds there.

/Johan Nyman

Hello The Mod Zoo!

I couldnt wait until next week to make something to the case. So I painted the right inner side of the acrylic piece black. Looks pretty good. Now you cant see anything from the other side, just as I wanted.

I started with isolate a little bit.

img0422vg.jpg

Then I just painted it, 3 layers.

img0423nk.jpg

img0424o.jpg

img0425bq.jpg

img0426ut.jpg

And this is how it looks from the outside.

img0427wwg.jpg

Next week I will be cutting 3-4mm of the acrylic so it fits perfect with everything else. Then Im going to start trying different techniques of fixing scratches on acrylic, I have a spare piece I will be trying on. Do you have any advice?

I will also be starting to make the shroud for the PSU and pump + res. See how it works out.

Tomorrow Im going to Dreamhack so now Im SURE there will not be an update before next week. Hope this was something atleast.

Johan Nyman

Hello!

A little update here. Ive lowered the plexi a few mm to fit better to the white bended plate. I put everything together and took some pictures, I really love the black side.

The edge before. A little bit to high.

img0455sb.jpg

Measured how much to cut.

img0456pv.jpg

Dada!

img0467jx.jpg

Think this looks really good.

img0469si.jpg

Right now Im waiting for the hardware so I can start measuring out how to fit everything, how to make the shroud and so on.

/Johan Nyman

Sorry if I've missed it but what case is that?

I like the painted inside, I've put clear acrylic over pain like a giant layer of clear coat before.

Also a word of warning, I've heard a few horror stories about the Asrock FM2A75M-ITX issues with the vrm MOSFETs catching fire http://www.overclock...otherboard-fire

The ASRock FM2A85X-ITX is supposed to be much better.

Yeah, I was about to buy one of those FM2 A75 Asrock ITX boards but the fires put me off :/

Sorry if I've missed it but what case is that?

I like the painted inside, I've put clear acrylic over pain like a giant layer of clear coat before.

Also a word of warning, I've heard a few horror stories about the Asrock FM2A75M-ITX issues with the vrm MOSFETs catching fire http://www.overclock...otherboard-fire

The ASRock FM2A85X-ITX is supposed to be much better.

Thank you. I made the case myself, scratchbuild. I ordered the motherboard before all those reports came. I'll maybe buy the A85X later.

Im still waiting for the hardware I ordered, so no updates yet. But I cant decide if Im going to use colored tubing or not, colored water or not? What do you think?

White tubing would look pretty good. Or just clear tubing and clear water. "Aqua"-colored water could also look good. Any idea?

While waiting for a update you could check out my facebook-page with all my mods. :)

Is it fanless? if not then make the cutout bigger :)

The fan is in the bottom. Going to cut a hole in the floor too. :)

Nice case :D

Thanks!

I will get the Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W, cause its modular. Makes it easier to sleeve too. I will probably make a bigger hole in the backplate too.

My guess too but its thick so its daayumn hard

The acrylic I used for this build I recycled from some kind of "roof" over a landline telephone we had in school. So the bent piece Ive got here I found like that. But when Im bending acrylic myself Im using a heatgun as kiborg said. You just have to be very patient when bending this thick acrylic. :)