23RO_UK

CPCBS 2007 Scores

Seeing as I asked for this section to be included I feel it only fair I kick off :D/>

Back in the UK Custom PC Magazine use this benchmark to score their review PC's

CPCBS 2007 = Custom PC Benchmark Suite 2007

The CPCBS is a suite of benchmarks using real-world and open-source applications to simulate how PCs are actually used. The suite comprises an image editing test using Gimp, a video encoding test using Handbrake, and a multi-tasking test using 7-Zip to archive and encrypt a large batch of files while an HD movie plays in mplayer.

A score of 1,000 means that the test system is as fast as a reference PC, which used a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 at stock speed, 2GB of Corsair 1,066MHz DDR2 memory, a 250GB Samsung SpinPoint P120S hard disk and an Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard. The scoring system is linear, so a system scoring 1,200 points is 20 per cent faster than the reference system. Equally, a system scoring 1,200 is 4 per cent faster than a system scoring 1,150.

The benchmark can be downloaded here LINK

Well this is how my new build scored, I say new build...

It's actually the temporary home for my new hardware whilst I mod it's proper home lol

DSCF1007H_zps9a6eb0e0.jpg

DSCF1008H_zps2d3888bb.jpg

DSCF1009H_zpsff0f4c0f.jpg

I decided to have a little fun after finishing the cable routing and ran my i7 2600K @ 51 x 100.8 = 5.14GHz

It scored as below -

3kCPCBS_zps6f026445.jpg

Very very happy with that :D/>

I love your "No BS" builds, Paul B)/> .....at some point, we'll have to chat about cars.

lol @ No BS builds

Thank you Bill I'll take that as a HUGE compliment :D/>

And with reference to cars OH YES!!! I'm ever the the petrol head at heart and cars are another passion of mine B)/>

Back to builds, you know me... I think outside the bubble so to speak only to then burst it lol

The Phantom for example -

The features I incorporated in that were (In no particular order)

• Acrylic backplates for both the GPU and Sound Card
  • Reversed fan controller
  • The cross air flow concept with the two 120mm rads in parallel that successfully held a 4.8GHz overclock in check with the hottest core never exceeding 72° 100% load
  • The shut off valves so as to facilitate splitting the loop in 2 for the purpose of maintenance and upgrades

To break convention you must first defy convention lol

Though if you look carefully at the mount I've used for the Antec Kuhler H2O 920 you'll notice it's non standard, further still it can accommodate the block of the H100i I intend using for the build proper ;)/>

I used a universal Intel backplate manufactured by Phobya and a Alphacool CPU Waterblock Screw Kit; the result is both more aseptically pleasing than the bog standard kit and I've dropped the temps also :)/>

DSCF1009H_zpsff0f4c0f.jpg

Also the extract fan on the radiator has a Nexus Beamair Airguider mounted (it's thrust vectoring for fans if you like)

DSCF1008H_zps2d3888bb.jpg

So if you look apon the current chassis as a temporary home/test bed for the build to come :D/>

holy cow man i only scored a 1392... but thats what i get for choosing bulldozer lol. its does everything i need it to though!

holy cow man i only scored a 1392... but thats what i get for choosing bulldozer lol. its does everything i need it to though!

lol it's built for speed :D/>

If you post up your rig specs I'd be happy to give you a few pointers :)/>

What memory are you running?

AMD CPU's benefit from high bandwidth memory normally the faster the better.

Sandy Bridge CPU's respond to latency more so than bandwidth as regards memory, this has come from hands on experience with no less than 1 x P67, 1 x Z68 and 2 x Z77 motherboards (I'm on Z77 board number 3 now with the Gene V lol) and 4 different memory sets (both 2 x 2Gb and 2 x 4Gb).

My own memory set runs at 2133MHz (it's rated at 2200MHz) with 8-8-8-21 1T timings (2 x 2Gb) or I can also run it at 1866MHz with 7-7-7-17 1T timings; eitherway it has plenty of headroom which is why I can successfully and stably utilize the option of BCLK increases also.

The CPU in question celebrates it's 2nd birthday in March (sad I know lol), a typical i7 2600K retails for around £208 ($333/€256); I was offered £450 ($722/€556) for my own by an overclocking enthusiast just a couple of weeks ago (I said no).

amd fx 4170

970a-ds3 mobo from gigabyte

8gb kingston hyperx red 1600 9-9-9-24

nvidia gtx 550ti oc / windforce edition from gigabyte

i was aiming for bang for buck and this originally started as a 466 dollar rig before i started adding and modding to it

600134_10151120350946644_1643415878_n.jpg

74268_10151121044961644_1794832334_n.jpg

amd fx 4170

970a-ds3 mobo from gigabyte

8gb kingston hyperx red 1600 9-9-9-24

nvidia gtx 550ti oc / windforce edition from gigabyte

i was aiming for bang for buck and this originally started as a 466 dollar rig before i started adding and modding to it

Firstly I really must apologize for the length of time it's taken me to reply Devin

(owing to a recent auto accident I'm kinda in the process of shall we say healing)

Back to your rig...

Very nice job fella :)/>

Good choice of components, the only thing I would suggest were funds to allow you to do so is grab some faster memory; you would see a noticeable an improvement in most things as AMD processors love bandwidth.

Firstly I really must apologize for the length of time it's taken me to reply Devin

(owing to a recent auto accident I'm kinda in the process of shall we say healing)

Back to your rig...

Very nice job fella :)/>

Good choice of components, the only thing I would suggest were funds to allow you to do so is grab some faster memory; you would see a noticeable an improvement in most things as AMD processors love bandwidth.

hey no problem on the time thing, heal up!

and i would have to upgrade my MoBo to upgrade my ram the 1600 stuff i got defaulted to 1333 at 1.5v, i had to manually change this and reduce my HT and NB frequencies to 2000 instead of 2400 to get this to work, reducing those frequencies also granted me an overclock of 4.6 ghz on the processor, which isnt much, but is a great increase for a 75 dollar mobo,

allthough i was considering the sabertooth or the 990fx pro from asus the pro looks better to me but the sabertooth performs better,

either way im not an extreme benchmark enthusiast and my pc functions as intended. so these upgrades are not mandatory but will happen "eventually"!

managed to squeeze out a 1420 with my overclock... could a hardrive lower this score? i dont have an ssd just a couple 7200 drives... that quite possible are sata2, 5.9 on windows index when everything else is 7.4 or better lol maybe time for a couple ssd's

hey no problem on the time thing, heal up!

and i would have to upgrade my MoBo to upgrade my ram the 1600 stuff i got defaulted to 1333 at 1.5v, i had to manually change this and reduce my HT and NB frequencies to 2000 instead of 2400 to get this to work, reducing those frequencies also granted me an overclock of 4.6 ghz on the processor, which isnt much, but is a great increase for a 75 dollar mobo,

allthough i was considering the sabertooth or the 990fx pro from asus the pro looks better to me but the sabertooth performs better,

either way im not an extreme benchmark enthusiast and my pc functions as intended. so these upgrades are not mandatory but will happen "eventually"!

managed to squeeze out a 1420 with my overclock... could a hardrive lower this score? i dont have an ssd just a couple 7200 drives... that quite possible are sata2, 5.9 on windows index when everything else is 7.4 or better lol maybe time for a couple ssd's

I'd go with the Sabertooth personally, the Intel equivalents are absolutely superb!

An SSD as the master boot disk would certainly boost your score mate yes :)/>

I run a 240Gb SSD as my master boot, 2 x 180 Gb's for games and a couple of 500Gb spinners for bulk storage/filedumps

215x21_zps1d300317.pngI know this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd try this benchmark just out of interest. It would appear that the program is optimized for dual core processors so a lower core count will yield better over all results.

The photo editing could only utilize 1/8 cores in my FX8350 and the max processor usage at any tine was 42% so my end result was a bit of a disappointment at first glance!

Take a look

I try to run and it keeps failing.  Is this not compatible with Win8? 

I couldn't really say, it was written many moons before Windows 8; dare I say it, is Windows 8 truly compatible with anything? lol :P  

<_<  Your probably right ha ha. 

Hey Saball, sorry I didn't mean for my reply to seem or for it to come across as being flippant; I myself had hands on experience with Windows 8 during beta (and final release) and found it to be distinctly software and user unfriendly :wacko:

My only suggestion would be to install it as Administrator and once installed edit the properties of the shortcut so it runs with Administrator rights also.   

Hey Saball, sorry I didn't mean for my reply to seem or for it to come across as being flippant; I myself had hands on experience with Windows 8 during beta (and final release) and found it to be distinctly software and user unfriendly :wacko:

My only suggestion would be to install it as Administrator and once installed edit the properties of the shortcut so it runs with Administrator rights also.   

Ah I know ha ha.  Its gonna be a while before it opens up to more software.  I was a little too ahead of the game on purchasing it.  

With BackDraft now complete and up and running it seemed rude not to have a swipe at the CPCBS 2007 again...

k7IIXkb.jpg

I've broken my own personal record I set on November 19th last year  ;)

With BackDraft now complete and up and running it seemed rude not to have a swipe at the CPCBS 2007 again...

k7IIXkb.jpg

I've broken my own personal record I set on November 19th last year  ;)

very nice man...!    i just got curious and got to crackin around in my bios same components as last year new graphics card and case tho running a 7870 instead of 550ti i say new but i got it around christmas last year.   running windows 8 instead of 7 this time around 4.8 ghs overclock on the fx 4170 cpu and went and overclocked my ram aswell managed to hit 1866 on a set of 8 gb kingston 1600 ram just playing with the timings a bit.  beat my old score of 1420 by a fair margin.

1384019_10151649238016644_45286550_n.jpg

im satisfied with my score and in the process of doing this my system seem much faster overall maybe that ram overclock was long overdue

very nice man...!    i just got curious and got to crackin around in my bios same components as last year new graphics card and case tho running a 7870 instead of 550ti i say new but i got it around christmas last year.   running windows 8 instead of 7 this time around 4.8 ghs overclock on the fx 4170 cpu and went and overclocked my ram aswell managed to hit 1866 on a set of 8 gb kingston 1600 ram just playing with the timings a bit.  beat my old score of 1420 by a fair margin.

1384019_10151649238016644_45286550_n.jpg

im satisfied with my score and in the process of doing this my system seem much faster overall maybe that ram overclock was long overdue

Now that isn't a bad result at all, congrats fella  :D

My poor ol shop PC put up a whopping 800! Intel dual core and GTX9800 (I think). Old benchmark software more powerful then I thought it would be.

lol the Intel Core 2's were what kicked all off mate  ;)

Just to highlight, The CPCBS 2007 were developed as a suite of benchmarks using real-world and open-source applications to simulate how PCs are actually used. The suite comprises an image editing test using Gimp, a video encoding test using Handbrake, and a multi-tasking test using 7-Zip to archive and encrypt a large batch of files while a HD movie plays in mplayer.

A score of 1,000 means that the test system is as fast as our reference PC, which used a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 at stock speed, 2GB of Corsair 1,066MHz DDR2 memory, a 250GB Samsung SpinPoint P120S hard disk and an Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard. The scoring is linear, so a system scoring 1,200 points is 20 per cent faster than our reference system. Equally, a system scoring 1,200 is 4 per cent faster than a system scoring 1,150.

Just to highlight, The CPCBS 2007 were developed as a suite of benchmarks using real-world and open-source applications to simulate how PCs are actually used. The suite comprises an image editing test using Gimp, a video encoding test using Handbrake, and a multi-tasking test using 7-Zip to archive and encrypt a large batch of files while a HD movie plays in mplayer.

A score of 1,000 means that the test system is as fast as our reference PC, which used a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 at stock speed, 2GB of Corsair 1,066MHz DDR2 memory, a 250GB Samsung SpinPoint P120S hard disk and an Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard. The scoring is linear, so a system scoring 1,200 points is 20 per cent faster than our reference system. Equally, a system scoring 1,200 is 4 per cent faster than a system scoring 1,150.

wow thanks for the info it actually makes me feel better lol... your score is awesome tho. i just ordered a asrock z77 pro4 mobo and i5 3570k and 16 gb of team vulcan 2400 mhz ram <--- had some great reviews. i plan on over clocking so we shall see where i stand then

wow thanks for the info it actually makes me feel better lol... your score is awesome tho. i just ordered a asrock z77 pro4 mobo and i5 3570k and 16 gb of team vulcan 2400 mhz ram <--- had some great reviews. i plan on over clocking so we shall see where i stand then

Thank you, my passion besides modding is overclocking; that score was achieved with my prized 2600K  :D

The only guy I know to beat that score was running an i7 3930K, Rampage IV Extreme, 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600mhz, GTX 680 SLI, Corsair Force 3 240Gb SSD combo and even then he only topped my score by 27 points  :P

The 2600K in question can hit 5.25GHz under water  :lol:

Great choice in kit Devin  ;)

I have a HUGE soft spot for the ASRock boards (very very underrated bits of kit), in recent times I've owned both the Z77 E-ITX and a Z77 Extreme4 and loved both of them; they overclock like b*tches on heat also!!! 

Ok I couldn't leave it there...

I've wanted to bust the CPCBS 3100 points overall score for a long long time

TKDZmEc.jpg

Rack up another one for the 2600K  ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Chatbox
    There's a thing here. Somehow it moved to the top of the page, but I didn't do it. No, really! But still, Cheaps is likely to blame...
    You don't have permission to chat.