Sign in to follow this  
TobyJenkins

Painting a case..Need Help

Hey guys im new here and im gonna be receiving the new Phanteks Enthoo Pro in a couple of days to do a build with and im wondering if anybody has used the Preval sprayer before( http://store.preval.com/p/the-preval-spray-system).I am just limited on stores i can buy from and all of the aerosol cans seem to be the same color but we have a guy in town that can mix me some automotive paint but he wants to charge me way to much to paint it($300).

$300 isn't out of line for custom painting, if it's done right. It's actually a little low depending on what he does.

To give you an idea:

1 qt primer/sealer $45

1 qt pearl : $40-90

1 qt clear coat $50

Hardeners, reducers, add another $50-75

I'm not counting spray equipment, which is easily $500-2000 for a good compressor + spray gun.

This assumes 'automotive grade' and also assumes the guy is using a reputable brand (my prices are loosely based on House of Kolor prices)

Now we can talk about labor :)

If not sand blasting, figure 1-2 hours worth of sanding starting at 100 grit, going up to ~400.

Spray primer/sealer, let is flash for ~30m, spray 1-3 coats of color (waiting 15-20m between coats for flash time), wait another ~30m for final flash, mix and spray clear coat...again 1-3 coats of clear, waiting 15-20, sometimes 30m, between coats for flash off. Wait AT LEAST 24 hours for clear to cure. Next comes sanding the clear, cutting and polishing, which can (should) take an hour or two to do at least (starting at 600 wet, going up to ~2000 grit. I personally go to 4000 or so depending on what it is). Then buff and polish. Again there is a time investment.

So we'll say at a minimum you're looking at 8 hours of labor. NOT including materials. $37 an hour for highly skilled labor isn't a bad rate at all. If you figure ~$100 in materials (we're being nice and assuming dude is going to use the 'extra' for other clients, which is fairly reasonable), it goes down to ~$25 an hour.

OR, you can buy some rattle cans and do a pretty daayumn good job yourself for ~80 or so. Good to excellent results can be had with rattle cans, but it does take a little practice. Like everything, there is a learning curve.

Not trying to dissuade you from doing it yourself, just illustrating that the costs for highly skilled labor are real.

I should add :

SEM brand primer : ~$20 a can (you'll likely burn two on a case, more if larger)

My personal favorite rattle can is the Roth Rattle Bombs, you can get the all in one flake+pearl+kandy for ~$20 a can.

Clear coat, check out the Spraymax 2k automotive clear in a can. $20-25 a can.

YOU MUST USE A GOOD QUALITY RESPIRATOR WHEN USING THESE PRODUCTS. THEY _WILL_ KILL YOU (the primer and clear especially). Wear good quality gloves as well, nitrile is preferred, latex is okay. When spraying clear, you really should be wearing safety glasses as well, along with long sleeves and a hood. Good ventilation is a must as well. Isocyanide isn't something you want to play around with, wear the proper gear. A good 3M organic vapor mask will cost you ~$30 or so.

All of the above can be purchased on amazon.com, they'll ship all over the place.

Thanks alot for the reply ive had some good results from rattle cans on a CM scout and a phantom before this new case im gonna do but ive never painted a case with automotive grade paint.I have a sandblaster so thats not an issue the fact that i dont own a paint booth and a decent HVLP paint gun is limiting me to colors but thanks for the paint recommendations ill have to go check that out and as for primer i always use SEM although pricey you get what you pay for thanks again