Bill Owen

Threading 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID Acrylic Liquid Tubing PC

I might be trying to work on something to drill out 3/8 x 5/8" tubing to have better thread depth than on the 1/2 x 3/4 tubing used here. It does work, but as we mentioned the thread depth is a little shallow, so not all fittings work; not very good peace of mind, though I've had that build together for a couple of months now with no issues so far.

I recently tried this with 12mm ID tubing and it works great for that. The only difficulty is just getting the tap and tubing straight so you don't end up with an angle on the fitting. That's what I'm working to do next, and I have a jig in mind for that. I live in an apartment so I don't have any real ability to build up a workshop, so I'm trying to figure out how to do all of this given those limitations.

But again, the only real issue here is just managing to keep the tap and tubing in line with each other so the threads are cut so the fitting doesn't sit at a slight angle to the end. I'm open to suggestions on that mark as I would like to do this for water cooling my computer.

ETA: 3/8" is less than 10mm. I doubt you'll be able to get that to work as the ID for the G1/4 thread is 11.445 mm. That's why I went with 12mm tubing and, as I said, it seems to work perfectly.

Edited by brandishwar

One idea I've had as well is using 1/2" OD tubing or, if you can find it, 13mm OD tubing and using a G1/4" die to cut threads on the outside of tubing. The only downside with that is you'd need to use thread tape or something like that to seal the threads, or you could use 1/2" ID tubing (or 13mm ID) to create a collar for sitting an o-ring.

This would also have the potential to reduce the number of fittings you'd need depending on how things were designed. For example I could see a straight line of tubing coming directly out of a fitting or block and using a female-to-male rotary fitting on the other end for whatever it'll be going into.

I think I've got a bit more experimenting to do. Certainly some possibilities here.

You are correct Brandishwar, I had been experimenting with that before we made the video.  It's a little tougher with acrylic tube, as it had a tendency to break off the end when trying to thread it.  I was using an O-ring on the bottom inside of the rotary fitting, but it seemed to work.  I still need to revisit it to do some further testing, but do hope to.  It worked fairly well with 1/2x1/4" tubing, but that's a little more restrictive of a tubing than I would hope for.  I have some 1/2x3/8" PETG, and will be experimenting with that instead.  Just need to get a few things "off the bench" before I can go back to this

Love the method and the looks of this, but have not had much success getting the male-to-male rotary fittings to thread on the 3/4 x 1/2 tubing after using the tap.  I have tried the recommended XSPC fittings,, Phobya fittings, and Koolance fittings (all male-to-male that is), but none will thread.  I can get metal G1/4 radiator caps as well as barbs to thread fine in to it.  Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks...

That is one disadvantage that we have with having to use 1/2x3/4 instead of the metric sizes. The 1/2" is slightly oversized compared to the 11.8mm that the G1/4 tap is supposed to be threaded into. It's possible that the tolerance of the 1/2" ID tubing that you have is on the bigger side of the +/- acceptance tolerance... it's not an exact science, unfortunately.