Thanks! I think the tricolor theme came out well also, although it was difficult to find a good balance of the three colors. I suppose it's not as 'sleek' as dual-tone builds, but it was a fun challenge to get three colors to work out aesthetically. The painted tubing is my favorite mod... mostly for the novelty of it ;)

any photo updates?

Hey Bill,

I updated the entire first post to reflect all of the most recent updates.  Are the photos not showing up?  I am not particularly adept at using imgur.com, so it's a sure possibility.

Carson

Ahhh, no wonder why I missed them! ..... 

Wow, excellent job, shared on Mnpctech fanpage!!!!

Thanks so much!  Coming from you and the others on this forum it really means a lot.  By the way, I don't know what you did with your Pink Floyd "The Wall" tribute build, but I would pay an arm and a leg for it (big Floyd fan).  Whenever I want to show what themed builds can be, that build is on the list of examples.' (as well as quite a few others you've done :) )

-Carson

I look forward to seeing future builds from you. PF build was gift to a friend. Speaking of classic rock, I've always wanted to build tribute to Led Zep's House of the Holy....

@jojoharalds

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm in the process of planning a budget build for a boys home in the area, but the case mods will abound  :D

@Bill Owen

I figured that the Floyd build had a destination, but wow does it never cease to amaze.  A houses of the holy build would be awesome... a lot of potential for creativity there for sure.  Although you've done a Floyd build, I was thinking about how cool an 'Animals' build would be... or Dark Side of the Moon.  Pink Floyd did so many concept albums that you could probably do a build honoring each one  :)

Agreed, ANIMALS theme would be awesome!

btw, this will help inspire you for your next build, here are the facebook stats on your build

11,244 people saw the post

195 Likes

56 shares

thats pretty damn good!

Wow!!! I am truly flattered and humbly proud of those numbers! It is inspiring for sure... I'm actually doing a build right now for a Boys' home in the area. It's pro-bono, so it's a budget build... but with the case mods I'm doing it's already over budget ;) . Thanks so much for the opportunity to share my build with so many others, and I'll keep y'all updated on my next one.

Dude!

Your log is epic. I love the amount of details you've crammed into this.

I quickly breezed over this before and made a mental note to come back and have a proper read.

I've been thinking about custom painting some fittings and it seems you and I have had very similar ideas on how to go about it! Which really puts my mind at ease about undertaking a similar endeavor.

One question though. I haven't looked into paints yet but I'm planning on going bright! Would you recommend just prime+paint or do you think prime+paint+clear coat (abit of added protection for the paint)?

Cheers,

Xr.

Dude! Your log is epic. I love the amount of details you've crammed into this. I quickly breezed over this before and made a mental note to come back and have a proper read. I've been thinking about custom painting some fittings and it seems you and I have had very similar ideas on how to go about it! Which really puts my mind at ease about undertaking a similar endeavor. One question though. I haven't looked into paints yet but I'm planning on going bright! Would you recommend just prime+paint or do you think prime+paint+clear coat (abit of added protection for the paint)? Cheers, Xr.

Hey Xrqute,

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I'm glad that the log is proving useful... it took a while to write it  :)

With regards to the custom painted fittings, be sure that you swap out the o-ring, as you would not want to use the o-ring that is on the fitting while painting for obvious reasons.  The adherence of the paint was different depending on the fitting that I used.  Before I go into details, I would just remind that you should use automotive-quality paint (preferably enamel-based as opposed to lacquer), and definitely use SEM brand self-etching primer.  Because SEM primer is not available nearby, I experimented with other types (ie rusteum self-etching), and found that they do not lay (as) flat and have a tendency to chip.

The resistance of the paint to chipping was different depending on the fitting.  I'm not sure how to account for the difference, except to assume that there were differences in the finished metal.  When I painted Bitspower compression fittings, the duplicolor engine enamel paint that I used adhered very well, and short of dropping the fitting I did not experience an chipping; however, when I painted the Primochill hardline collars (when I switched over to rigid acrylic), the paint chipped very easily... so much so that I repainted some 3 or 4 times.

To answer your question, if you go with a lacquer based paint (which you may have to due to a larger selection of colors), then you should definitely follow up with a clear coat of enamel (use like-branded enamel, though, as enamel can cause lifting of lacquer-based paint).  If the color coat you choose is an enamel-based paint, I suppose it comes down to a question of patience.  The only reason I would not put on a clear coat in the future is if it is a piece that is not going to endure much wear or if I find that a clear coat affects the hue or gloss of the finish.  In retrospect, I think that a clear-coat of enamel could have saved me some headaches with the primochill collars.  Remember that you should apply the paint in thin coats.  Finally, a tip that Bill Owen gave me really helped with getting my enamel paint to apply evenly: fill a bucket with hot water and let the paint can sit submerged for 5 minutes or so prior to use.

I hope that answers your question, and let me know how things turn out  ;)

BTW: I highly recommend Dupli-Color as a paint brand.  It's is readily available at auto-parts stores and comes in a wide variety of colors.

-Carson

Hey Xrqute,

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I'm glad that the log is proving useful... it took a while to write it  :)

With regards to the custom painted fittings, be sure that you swap out the o-ring, as you would not want to use the o-ring that is on the fitting while painting for obvious reasons.  The adherence of the paint was different depending on the fitting that I used.  Before I go into details, I would just remind that you should use automotive-quality paint (preferably enamel-based as opposed to lacquer), and definitely use SEM brand self-etching primer.  Because SEM primer is not available nearby, I experimented with other types (ie rusteum self-etching), and found that they do not lay (as) flat and have a tendency to chip.

The resistance of the paint to chipping was different depending on the fitting.  I'm not sure how to account for the difference, except to assume that there were differences in the finished metal.  When I painted Bitspower compression fittings, the duplicolor engine enamel paint that I used adhered very well, and short of dropping the fitting I did not experience an chipping; however, when I painted the Primochill hardline collars (when I switched over to rigid acrylic), the paint chipped very easily... so much so that I repainted some 3 or 4 times.

To answer your question, if you go with a lacquer based paint (which you may have to due to a larger selection of colors), then you should definitely follow up with a clear coat of enamel (use like-branded enamel, though, as enamel can cause lifting of lacquer-based paint).  If the color coat you choose is an enamel-based paint, I suppose it comes down to a question of patience.  The only reason I would not put on a clear coat in the future is if it is a piece that is not going to endure much wear or if I find that a clear coat affects the hue or gloss of the finish.  In retrospect, I think that a clear-coat of enamel could have saved me some headaches with the primochill collars.  Remember that you should apply the paint in thin coats.  Finally, a tip that Bill Owen gave me really helped with getting my enamel paint to apply evenly: fill a bucket with hot water and let the paint can sit submerged for 5 minutes or so prior to use.

I hope that answers your question, and let me know how things turn out  ;)

BTW: I highly recommend Dupli-Color as a paint brand.  It's is readily available at auto-parts stores and comes in a wide variety of colors.

-Carson

Hey man,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Right around the corner from my house is a massive Hardware store as well as 2 auto-parts stores so i dare say i may be in luck! 

I'm going to go source some paint tomorrow and have a play with some spare fittings i have kicking about and see if i can actually manage to do a decent job hahaha.

And yea for sure if i get the fittings looking good i flick you some photo's so you can see where your advice has lead :-) And then ultimately pics of the finished build so you get to see the whole picture :-) 

Cheers,

Xr.

Wow!!! I am truly flattered and humbly proud of those numbers! It is inspiring for sure... I'm actually doing a build right now for a Boys' home in the area. It's pro-bono, so it's a budget build... but with the case mods I'm doing it's already over budget ;) . Thanks so much for the opportunity to share my build with so many others, and I'll keep y'all updated on my next one.

Awesome to give back to the community... lookin forward to seeing it