xgeko2

Project SubZero

Hey guy's I have not been too into modding the past few years since PR/Pcapex kind of went away so I finally got excited and amped up and am in the process almost done with a project I have been wanting to do for sometime. The first time I wanted to run a peltier liqued cooled system I had a good setup going but didn't take any pics and then eventually killed it since then I have been very discouraged. But this time around I am doing things right :)

First off I tore down my Haf 932 as you know the Haf 932 has a gray metal interior so I stripped it down and fixed that with some black plasti dip :) I also pulled out the ole dremel rotary tool and removed 10 rivets to get the HDD cage out.

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Ok the next part was a little tricky but I modified an old VGA power supply to provide power to the 245w peltier I have. I also went to home depo and purchased a tyco electronics Dual row Terminal strip to distribute the power and to save me on some soldering. I also coated my motherboard in Black finger nail polish to protect against condensation. in the Haf 932 the power supply is normally located in the bottom of the case I relocated this to the top.

photo11.jpg

photo21.jpg

wiring.jpeg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

Currently I have the water loop done and the pump running getting all the air out the peltier works and I now just need to get some heat shrink tape and wire ties to clean it all up. Almost done :)

photo.jpg

i am actually working on something along these lines as well..well, the painted motherboard part anyway.  does the paint effect the motherboard temps?

Not that I can tell the last time I did this I went I felt overboard with it. I coated it in a silicone conformal coating and then topped it off with liquid electrical tape.. it was very messy so far the finger nail polish is holding up and not causing any issues. I think I need to get some better thermal paste and re seat everything my temps are around -5c at idle but each core is sporadic I think the stuff I put on there just didn't level out correctly.

There is only one issue with running a seperate power supply with the peltier and it can be very discouraging which is if your computer decides to do updates and shutdown when you walk away it will melt your water block :( … sad to say it litterally just happened again to me lol. Well that was a short run atleast it lived through a lan party last night all night @-5c

True speak!! :) ok I might need a little help here. I found the manual for the vga power supply I have been using as a power source for my peltier I noticed it should have came with a cable adapter that plug's into the main 24pin on the motherboard then feeds a small 4 pin connector to the secondary psu so it will turn on and off with the system. This thing has been in my closet for years so I don't think I have that cable anymore. From the looks of it I can wire that 4pin connector into my main 24pin manually.

powerexpress.jpg

I wonder how well this will work?

Whoa, the pics of that block are crazy!  Really couldn't see how bad it was in the dust off.

haha ya sorry Didn't have the greatest lighting. Ill have it back up and running soon and hopefully finally finish it :p.

Ok she might have been down but is not out! :) I got her back up and running on some air cooling but where is the fun in that :p. Will update once I get a peltier system back up and going I think im going to look for something with a bit more umph to make it fun :)

OK I have not updated in a bit. I have had some family issues so haven't had much time for modding/ bringing everything back up to par. I will be moving soon so as soon as I get moved and settled back in this project is my #1 priority. It is going to take a very interesting turn I promise that :D