The Mod Zoo's Jesse (Captain Curry Sauce) and Chris (Mosquito) share everything you need to know before your first venture into liquid cooling your custom PC. They also dispel myths about sizing of tubing, radiators, or wasting your money on overpriced brands or designs.

Part 1 "Getting Started" 

Part 2 "Single CPU Loop"

Alex Venz shares demonstration video on Pumps, performance curves, pressure drop, and flow prediction.

Part 3 " Draining your Loop"

Part 4, "GPU Block Install & Dual GPU Single Loop"

for 1/2" O.D. PETG DIY Hard Line Tubing, you can use Primochill Revolver, Monsoon, and Alphacool 13mm fittings for Hard tube. (Bitspower is only catering to 12mm OD tubing until they announce otherwise)

Using PETG Rigid Tubing for your Liquid Cooling Loop

Guide to Alphacool HT 13mm HardTube & Compression Fittings by TheModZoo.com

I currently have a Corsair H80i and have been tempted to starting looking into Custom Water Cooling Loops.   Bill, Jesse and Chris, thank you for creating this in order to help newbies and the less informed.   

*Key for abbreviations at bottom*

Is there any real way to calculating how much resistance your system has? After researching (aprox 4 hours worth) I'm still uncertain exactly how much PSI (better known as "head") and LPH (more commonly found in GPM, GPH, and LPM).
So far I see the psi directly correlates to LPH and without PSI the LPH number is useless; the more resistance you have in your loop the more PSI you need to maintain a high LPH; HOWEVER too much PSI generates a LOT of heat and can actually heat the coolant quite a bit causing it's own problems.
Also on that note I've seen a lot of radiators say "pressure tested 2 bar" yet google has failed in explaining what this means, although from context I'd assume it's a pressure limit before it pops/bursts (tubing also has it).

Back to original problem- it seems an ideal GPM would be between 1.0 and 2.0; while also a pump with 9 head or more. Well most pumps I've seen had 9~15 head (more were higher end of that really) and LPH were 800 (3.5 GPH) - now this is just the AVERAGE i found, yet these numbers are WAY higher than the recommended, again resistance is to be factored.
With a nice clean bend and a CPU only loop, I can't imagine a terrible difference but I might add a GPU in future- also I have to wonder how much the radiator makes a difference- seems the thinner ones do better in terms of flow resistance, seems odd.

Sorry these questions aren't specific, I looked into a bit and got sucked into the WHOLE deal (priced around, right now I can make a very nice system for roughly ~300 but if I go for detail more like $350.

Key:

Gallons per Minute/hour (GPM/GPH)

Liters per Minute/hour (LPM/LPH)

Pressure per square inch (PSI) <-- ? right?

Is there any real way to calculating how much resistance your system has? After researching (aprox 4 hours worth) I'm still uncertain exactly how much PSI (better known as "head") and LPH (more commonly found in GPM, GPH, and LPM).

So far I see the psi directly correlates to LPH and without PSI the LPH number is useless; the more resistance you have in your loop the more PSI you need to maintain a high LPH; HOWEVER too much PSI generates a LOT of heat and can actually heat the coolant quite a bit causing it's own problems.

Also on that note I've seen a lot of radiators say "pressure tested 2 bar" yet google has failed in explaining what this means, although from context I'd assume it's a pressure limit before it pops/bursts (tubing also has it).

Back to original problem- it seems an ideal GPM would be between 1.0 and 2.0; while also a pump with 9 head or more. Well most pumps I've seen had 9~15 head (more were higher end of that really) and LPH were 800 (3.5 GPH) - now this is just the AVERAGE i found, yet these numbers are WAY higher than the recommended, again resistance is to be factored.

With a nice clean bend and a CPU only loop, I can't imagine a terrible difference but I might add a GPU in future- also I have to wonder how much the radiator makes a difference- seems the thinner ones do better in terms of flow resistance, seems odd.

Sorry these questions aren't specific, I looked into a bit and got sucked into the WHOLE deal (priced around, right now I can make a very nice system for roughly ~300 but if I go for detail more like $350.

Key:

That is a good conversation to have, and to your point on a CPU only loop, any decent pump (even with the stock top), will give you enough power to go through the loop without any issue. 

Most of the new blocks, and radiators are very low restriction so I won't worry about things like GPM on a basic loop, even with multiple GPUs in it. Normally issues start happening when you are running some really tight bends, and a low speed pump. Running certain fluid mixes can also cause issues. Remember most of the values that you see for GPM and PSI are taken using distilled water. 

I will make sure that we talk about this subject a bit in our next video. 

I spotted the cardinal sin of blowing into the reservoir. Now You have cooties in the loop. :lol:

I just wanted to add some minty freshness lol. Will throw in a ghost pepper and extra copper sulphate to kill all those germs. 

hey man. If you're really keen to measure this data you should check out the Aquacomputer Aquaero line

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13215/bus-259/Aquacomputer_Aquaero_6_XT_USB_Fan_Controller_Touch_Screen_Graphic_LCD_Liquid_System_Controller_w_Remote_53146.html

stuff is spendy for sure, and complicated IMO.

but really neato toy for total control.

I didn't realize there was a place to post here about the video.  I started dropping questions on the facebook post first, so I'll repost them here.

'New to your mnpctech on facebook and loving all of the information that keeps popping up in my feed. This is great stuff here too. I am a complete newb to modding and custom work. I've built systems and love it, but all put putting together parts purchased from newegg, which leads me to my question. I have a custom mod in my head that I've started trying to sketch up online. I have never done custom water cooling, but would like to with the PETG I keep reading about lately. SO, my question, I'm about six minutes into the video but already wondering about parts. Maybe it's later in the video and I just need to be more patient, but I already went to newegg to see if they carry any such parts and they don't. They just have closed loops. Can you suggest some sites/brands etc. of where to buy good custom cooling parts? Thanks guys.'

'One 120 fan radiator per item cooled. Pump below reservoir. Do I only need one pump per system regardless of the amount of radiators or items cooled or distance of tubing etc?'

I didn't realize there was a place to post here about the video.  I started dropping questions on the facebook post first, so I'll repost them here.

'New to your mnpctech on facebook and loving all of the information that keeps popping up in my feed. This is great stuff here too. I am a complete newb to modding and custom work. I've built systems and love it, but all put putting together parts purchased from newegg, which leads me to my question. I have a custom mod in my head that I've started trying to sketch up online. I have never done custom water cooling, but would like to with the PETG I keep reading about lately. SO, my question, I'm about six minutes into the video but already wondering about parts. Maybe it's later in the video and I just need to be more patient, but I already went to newegg to see if they carry any such parts and they don't. They just have closed loops. Can you suggest some sites/brands etc. of where to buy good custom cooling parts? Thanks guys.'

'One 120 fan radiator per item cooled. Pump below reservoir. Do I only need one pump per system regardless of the amount of radiators or items cooled or distance of tubing etc?'

Lets start with the first one:

Where do I buy parts - look at places like

www.performancepcs.com

www.frozencpu.com

www.aquatuning.us

Those are the big names when it comes to water cooling gear. NewEgg sadly does not carry any custom water cooling parts. 

Second question:

The 120 rad per item cooled is a very basic formula, that gives you your bare minimum. If you start overclocking and all other jazz, you will need more radage. 

Your typical setup only needs 1 pump. I have run a single pump with 2 huge radiators, and 3 waterblocks. The more restriction you add to your loop, the more pumping power you will need. If you are just running a typical loop (CPU, couple GPUS, and couple radiators) you just need 1 good pump.

Third question:

No, radiators do not come in a cylindrical shapes. They are all rectangular. 

In Canada, there is www.dazmode.com for a good selection of water cooling gear.  Some computer retailers do carry a few parts (couple rads, maybe a few CPU/GPU blocks) but no where near the selection you'll see at the ones the Captain listed and from Daz.

Key:

I actually have a video going up on Monday covering this topic. Think of it, perhaps, as a more focused and in-depth companion video to Mod Zoo's series. Hey, maybe this can be a thing...

'One 120 fan radiator per item cooled. 

The 120 rad per item cooled is a very basic formula, that gives you your bare minimum. If you start overclocking and all other jazz, you will need more radage. 

It's not a basic formula, bare minimum, or even a particularly accurate rule of thumb... it's just a lazy answer to get people to quit asking the same question over and over again. After all, why do you think it has been repeated so much? Typically, this approach results in significant overbuilding but there are, of course, exceptions. "It depends" is usually the safe answer I go with because, as an example, there are certainly situations where a CPU/chipset/dual GPU setup can easily be handled by a dual 120mm radiator... but there are also situations where that would be wholly inadequate. That said, I usually try to steer people away from running with a single solitary 120mm radiator but that's mostly for noise and expandability/flexibility reasons.

I only ask this here cause I lost the post.. can some one point me to the huge radiator mfg's.. I saw one that was huge being built into a cool master haf stack case .. Side not after watching your videos I got my order of 18ft of acrylic in today. I almost went to granger for the o cord wow are they over priced.. thanks again for the videos

so... what lenghts of expansion would you guys advice the PPC pump in this kit able to handle? (ballpark, related to this specific build/case scenario)

Could it do cpu, twin gpu`s and a extra 45mm 240,280 or 360 radiator? Where do you guys feel its higly reccomended to go for something more powerful like the D5?

Great videos!

so... what lenghts of expansion would you guys advice the PPC pump in this kit able to handle? (ballpark, related to this specific build/case scenario)

Could it do cpu, twin gpu`s and a extra 45mm 240,280 or 360 radiator? Where do you guys feel its higly reccomended to go for something more powerful like the D5?

Great videos!

A DDC is more powerful when compared to the D5, if you are using a good pump top, and just distilled water, a single pump (either DDC or D5) should be fine.

In my Enthoo Primo review/build I just had the single DDC pump running and the loop had the following items in it:

1. 360 XT45 Rad

2. CPU Block

3. 2 X GPU blocks 

4. 480 Monsta Radiator. 

I did not have any issues with the flow, so you should be fine adding a couple GPUs, and another big radiator. 

Also one thing we will talk about in our next video when we add GPUs is the difference between serial and parallel GPU loops. The reason I mention that is because, parallel loops help with the flow. More on that later. 

Pumps, performance curves, pressure drop, and flow prediction video is live. Hopefully it makes for a useful companion to the Mod Zoo series.