If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

Ianovski

Bitfenix "Inspired by Nature"

bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg

ianovski_designs_zps1a9304ab.jpg

Bitfenix, “Inspired by Nature”

Hereby I present my new project. In close cooperation with Michel from Bitfenix Benelux. Michel came to me and asked if I could help him build a casemod based on the Bitfenix Shadow. I could not resist his offer and took the challenge. 

So just a quick update of who I am, and what is Ianovski Designs? Most people might now me from the casemods below. Ianovski Designs is my somewhat “company”. I’m not a real company but next to casemodding I’m also an animator. If you would like to see some of that, please check out http://www.ianvdmijn.com/new_site or https://www.facebook.com/ianovskidesigns?ref=hl

teaser_zps23782982.jpg

So enough of that! It did not take long before the package arrived. After writing a review on the Bitfenix Shadow case I took my dremel and started cutting, the way I usually do it, freestyle. Michel gave me only one requirement, wood. I guess he’d seen my Kyubu casemod haha! 

Oke, so I already had some plans for a casemod before Michel came to me with this offer. He wanted wood, I wanted a few other things, so why not combine them right? Following up on his wood requirement, I came with a theme for this build; “Inspired by Nature”. Since nature is one of my greatest sources of inspiration, it’s a theme made for me. Nothing has more beauty than nature itself. The shapes, the colors, it’s all perfectly matched. So that’s what I want to do with this mod. Make a perfect match of different materials and colors. 

So after making the first sketches and plans I went to the hardware store, planning to buy some wood. But what did I found at the store? Right, bamboo. And I just happen to love bamboo. So I bought it, not knowing yet what to do with it but since I like to freestyle on a casemod, I would come up with an idea. And I did, as you will see soon in the pictures.

So a quick overlook at my first ideas.

•  

• Bitfenix Shadow

• Wood

• Bamboo

• 45 degree motherboard

• Multiple fans in front

With these in mind I started working on the case, with the following pictures as result so far. These pictures might be a little step ahead, but that’s because sometimes I forget to take pictures. Oh and because I like to show you guys good pictures! I’m still in a learning curve with photography but I do the best I can. Feedback on my pictures is also welcome!

So enough with the talking. I know everybody likes pictures, so here are plenty of them!

First, I received more than a case from Michel. He also got me one of the new Bitfenix PSU’s. A beauty I must say. The pre-sleeved cables look really good.

14_zps55d1048a.jpg

15_zpsb81ae0fb.jpg

13_zps0700b789.jpg

He also got me a few Bitfenix fans. The color of choice was his, and turned out green. Perfect match for Mother Nature.

13_zps0700b789.jpg

17_zps13cf7463.jpg

18_zps644b75d4.jpg

And next to that I received pre-sleeved, green SATA cables and green LED’s. Thanks again to Michel from Bitfenix Benelux!

And next, the motherboard. Since it will be turned 45 degrees I needed one that was a small factor. Thanfully AsRock jumped in and saved me with this beautiful Micro-ATX motherboard. The color is blue, but not for long! 

19_zpse4de4d00.jpg

20_zps94ebeefc.jpg

21_zpsa8b89b76.jpg

22_zpsb210d519.jpg

For this motherboard, my special thanks goes to Peter from AsRock!

Oke, enough with the hardware and on to the modding. As I mentioned, I started out pretty freestyle and without too much of a camera around. But I will start with the progress of idea #1. Multiple fans in the front. Since three was the biggest amount of fans I could fit, three it is! I started with a bracket for them to fit.

1_zps08069a48.jpg

2_zps89ae1c61.jpg

3_zps1862e07c.jpg

4_zps29fddc24.jpg

Perfect fit!

5_zpsbb1b15a8.jpg

6_zps517b74aa.jpg

Next up, some more nature! Wood!

7_zpsd4180e9b.jpg

8_zps47601002.jpg

9_zps0e959fcf.jpg

Oh and did I already mentioned that I love bamboo? Well the idea is to fit the bottom with bamboo, braid it with some nice looking wire and put LED’s underneath so it lights up in between the bamboo. Not completed yet but a preview.

10_zpsfbd4ffac.jpg

11_zps7a4d0e3d.jpg

And ouuh, what’s this?? More of that in the next update muahaha!

12_zpseb2849e6.jpg

So there are a few things on my mind after this big update. The materials, especially the aluminum. Shall I keep it blanco and brush it? Or shall I paint it all black? Let me know what you think suits the build best. 1+1=3 So your opinion counts!

Thanks for your time, attention and who knows what!

Adios!

Alrighty then, I immediately notice that I cannot use images from my Photobucket account here. Why is that and how could I change it?

Use the image icon on the toolbar to add pictures (or image tag), not the link or url icon.  You'll need to remove the ~original suffix from the image URL.  The forum doesn't like the extra string following ".jpg"

This does not work - http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj583/ianovski/Bitfenix%20Shadow/13_zps0700b789.jpg~original 
This works [image]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj583/ianovski/Bitfenix%20Shadow/13_zps0700b789.jpg[/image]

13_zps0700b789.jpg

bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg

Update

Not a very big update but fun it is! I started with the wooden part of the mobo plate. I want to do something special with it, such as cutting out a shape (nature stuff) but I don't know what yet.. I'll cut the wood so the aluminum behind it will get visible, anybody an idea?

Alright. I sent the frontpanel and fans to my buddy Tim so he can sleeve them for me. He IS my sleeving hero. The sleeve will black so I can put all the cables out of sight easily. As for the aluminium, I decided to test both black and brushed as these are my favorite options. 

Here are the pictures!

The 45 degrees mobo!

1_zps91a60a52.jpg

2_zps2dab1dc4.jpg

Add a little bit of wood.

3_zps3313e7a3.jpg

4_zpsd0ea3cfd.jpg

And this is the result.

5_zpsaa182c9f.jpg

6_zpsfd32771d.jpg

That's it for now. Let me know what you think and feedback is always welcome!

Adios!

I love your 45 degree idea!

Thanks Bill, trying to do new things!

Awsome idea with the 45 degree mobo, maybe move the psu to the back and the mobo to the front? Also i cant wait to see it with more wood  ;)

The PSU doesn't fit at the back anymore haha. More wood in the next update (just a little :P)

I'm diggin' it...

;)

What are you going to do for the I/o? Use a USB hub?

No, it will stay where it is now. At the top of the frontpanel.

bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg

Update

Hello kind people. I've got a new update for you guys, one with nice amount of pictures (because I love making pictures). So I'll keep my words to a minimum for this one.

I started with the i/o shield for the motherboard. One of the most dificult things so far in this build. For this I needed aluminium, which was of course nowhere to be found... None of the shops around my palce had alu. So today (sunday) I went to the city and thankfully they had some alu left there. Once home I couldn't wait to get started. Cutting the piece wasn't a problem but the bending was a pain in the Poopadilly generator, especially since my working space isn't that advanced. But well, I think I did just fine on this piece.

Next, I made some holes for cablemanagement already and I would like to start with some pictures of that before we go onto the motherboard.

1_zpsf3ab57ba.jpg

2_zpsba37ce6c.jpg

A small view of the whole case. It can be put together very easily now.

3_zpsa34bee2e.jpg

2nd piece of alu in the bottom so that the bamboo can lay on there.

4_zpsc90e8d7c.jpg

5_zps6063a99b.jpg

Cables can now get underneath the bamboo.

6_zpseaaea39a.jpg

7_zps7e8d728d.jpg

8_zpse20446ab.jpg

9_zpsc655d1f0.jpg

And after finishing the cablemanagement holes, which was some work because of the filing, both me and the case went to relax for a while. Here you can see the case in it's natural habitat.

10_zpse0aadd5e.jpg

11_zps57e8b848.jpg

12_zpsfeccfe0f.jpg

And now, 45 degrees!

13_zps17bb1d2a.jpg

14_zps0c301f63.jpg

15_zpsa2228cdc.jpg

16_zps06ad85db.jpg

17_zpse6556991.jpg

18_zps56f74b16.jpg

Had to cut the wood so that everything would fit nicely. Nothing has to be put together with screws now, the wood holds itself in place.

19_zps71c37266.jpg

20_zps7ed1bc42.jpg

21_zps41177059.jpg

22_zpsa597c99e.jpg

23_zps31bcaab3.jpg

And some more testing, looking, observing etc.

24_zps138d6fd4.jpg

25_zps799f1229.jpg

26_zps24828143.jpg

27_zps3b3f0e83.jpg

28_zps0e0b27df.jpg

30_zps7342b15f.jpg

That's it for now. Can't tell anything about the next update yet since I have no idea what I'm gonna do next haha. We shall see. Feedback is welcome as always!

Adios!

I really love the natural look of wood. I want to do something like this in the future or at least make a desk. have you seen this completly custom build i found, its called the cygnus x-1, he did an incredible job.

wooden_pc_zpsd0c9b9a3.jpg

more pictures are here, http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case-mod/2009/12/14/cygnus-x1-by-attila-lukacs-oldnewby/14

hope this gives you some ideas but I bet you have plenty already.

can't wait to see more.

awesome.  three things i love. nature. pc. bit fenix.  :wub:

Haha, great combination for you then!

I really love the natural look of wood. I want to do something like this in the future or at least make a desk. have you seen this completly custom build i found, its called the cygnus x-1, he did an incredible job.

wooden_pc_zpsd0c9b9a3.jpg

more pictures are here, http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case-mod/2009/12/14/cygnus-x1-by-attila-lukacs-oldnewby/14

hope this gives you some ideas but I bet you have plenty already.

can't wait to see more.

Oh yes, I know that one. It's so beautiful! I don't think I could ever achieve that level of wood skills.

Very nice, I like where this is going.  You don't need that rear corner of the case any more, do you?  ;)

I caught some of Kyubu, fantastic work.

I don't need it, but I think I'll keep it anyway. Just to keep the lines of the case as they are. We'll see. And thanks about the Kyubu! That one took some hours to build haha, everything was hand made.

such awe so wow

Many thanks!

bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg

Update

Just a little update for now. I went to the store to buy some nice looking rope for braiding the bamboo together. I bought 6m, thinking that would be enough, but it's not... :wallbash: :wallbash: Oh and yeah I found out when I was almost finished. 

So now I have to go back and since it's not in my town, I'll get it by saturday. Nevertheless, here are some pictures or better yet, teasers of the bamboo for the bottom.

1_zpsa94508ad.jpg

2_zps28447447.jpg

3_zps94616b87.jpg

4_zps1e864567.jpg

By adding the rope, I could lose 3 pieces of bamboo. As you can see it's too long now. I will fix this when I get the new rope. There will be bamboo in the front of the case too so I need rope for that as well.

But don't fear my friends, the next update is around the corner!

Adios!

bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg

Update

I am the againman and here I am, again. Oke let's cut the Poopadilly and start the update. This time I have 2 things for you, a facelift for the I/O shield plate, if that even makes sense. And because I finished that, I could finally attach the motherboard. The case does look much better standing up, knowing the motherboard is attached instead of it laying around with the mobo just in it. For the looks of it I put in a GPU from one of the Cubes (which I hope to finish soon). I should look around for a card just like this since it fits perfect!

Alright, the pictures, starting with the facelift!

1_zps8f57b0ab.jpg

2_zps08c9b2a6.jpg

3_zps9a4dee71.jpg

4_zps29fbf627.jpg

5_zps9426a41d.jpg

Hang in there buddy!

6_zps90af75ff.jpg

7_zps6abbc51e.jpg

8_zps97fdf278.jpg

9_zpsbf007452.jpg

And for the sake of it one with the bamboo in it.

10_zpsfcf22187.jpg

And after a day of working my working space looks like this haha. The table is in the hallway and the door behind there is one for a bedroom XD Well my working place has to be somewhere right?

11_zpsa8698e04.jpg

And now it's time forrrr... a preview!!

12_zps1ccf4a6e.jpg

That's it for now. What you can see on the preview above is my solution for the blank aluminium in the case. Sometimes you walk around the store and suddenly you see it!

Adios!

bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg

Update

Helllo fellow modders. Let me drop an update here for you. This time I got a painted mobo, more bamboo and lights! And last but not least, some preparation for painting the case.

Let's start with the mobo. The heatsinks, as you know, were blue. Since blue is a color I don't like in this case, I decided to paint them antracite (if that's how you write it). So pulled them of, sanded them down and painted them. Here are some pictures of the results. I'm very happy with it.

1_zps47730aca.jpg

2_zpsbb420f29.jpg

3_zps99a040f7.jpg

4_zps29da8f9a.jpg

5_zps772f6b8f.jpg

7_zpscb1eb795.jpg

The blue RAM slots will be filled so I hope this won't be too visible after that. I'm not gonna paint them, that's a bit too advanced for now.

I also got myself more rope. Got 15 meters now so that should be enough haha. It is only 30 cents a meter so.. After braiding it, I found out it's still one bamboo stick too long :wallbash::wallbash:. So since I'm not in the mood to redo it now, I'll do it later.

8_zpscff09fec.jpg

9_zps9d0953d5.jpg

10_zpsac13d81a.jpg

Look good right? But that's not all. The bamboo is even more fun with some lights underneath!

11_zps08c6f6ab.jpg

12_zps8cda457b.jpg

13_zps0124835a.jpg

14_zps4040070f.jpg

And light it up! My own PC is the power source at the moment. Burned my own LED's by accident but at least we have green light now!

15_zps48040996.jpg

16_zps1ee513b4.jpg

And as last. The whole mod is taken apart now so this weekend I'll see if I sawed all the cablemanagement holes etc. After that I'll sand it down and paint it. I'm still thinking about the outside of the case but we'll see.

17_zpscc59ad0f.jpg

That's it for now! Let me know what you think, feedback and tips are welcome as always.

Adios!

bitfenix_zpsf5302fbb.jpg

Update

Since it has almost been two weeks that I updated this for the last time and since that's of course not what we want.. Here's another update!! But without the crazyness, I've been kinda busy lately since I had to move (again) for my new study that starts in september. But next to being very busy painting, moving etc, I have also done a lot of casemodding. I came at this part called "painting the case" and since I have little space to do so, it has been a real pain in the *ss.. I have to paint everything piece by piece. As of we speak there are still 4 pieces hanging to dry and those pieces ar crucial to building up the case so that will come in the next update. But anyway I think I put together a nice update with lots of pictures so sit back and enjoy!

Alright, let's start with the front of the case. I don't think I ever showed you guys what I've been planning to do on that, even though it were the first steps of this mod. The hole in the front used to be a lot smaller, only the top part. But I didn't like this so I changed it to follow the lines of the case better. So after sawing and filing the hole, we made some more bamboo and fitted it behind. I put the logo there more for fun but seems kinda cool so lets see what we can make out of that.

1_zps65c4ea3a.jpg

2_zpsaa9bc7dd.jpg

3_zpsc1d5879e.jpg

4_zps3f32e437.jpg

5_zps7c1f9b93.jpg

Alright, and next the painting. The whole inside of the case has been painted antracite, just like the heatsinks on the motherboard. The outside remains black as it was. You will not be able to see the difference very well on the pictures but trust me, it came out pretty decent. 

6_zps52bfd99c.jpg

7_zps564d81af.jpg

8_zps56d81f70.jpg

Here you can maybe see the difference in collor between the inside and outside.

9_zpsd89781e9.jpg

10_zpsc5fcb63a.jpg

11_zps7bd4870a.jpg

Another try to show the difference.

12_zps8ba66e25.jpg

13_zps2cf10eef.jpg

14_zpsb2bcc144.jpg

And painted the mobo plate.

15_zpsecc1dd8a.jpg

16_zpsdf4b62f6.jpg

17_zps5195ba0a.jpg

18_zps4eab359f.jpg

Picture of all the parts except for the back of the case and those 4 pieces that are still hanging to dry.

19_zps3998c77d.jpg

More soon! In the next update I'll show you the step by step building progress of this mod and some other stuff, so see you then!

Stay tuned!

Adios!

Ps. My English might be a bit messy today, I'm kinda tired :yawn::yawn:

Very nice work. The motherboard looks fantastic now, and back lighting the bamboo looks sweet. Maybe blue with something to make it shimmer/move to make it look like a bridge over a stream lol