Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

296 posts in this topic

16-6-1-2_zpsy2prsreq.jpg

-Chaos continues. Originally the sink faucet was going to hold the usb stuff, but there's no room. Later I remembered I had this big aluminum pipe. It turns out I even have a nice cap for it. Will there be room for it? -who knows?
16-6-1-4_zps0ge0d4jm.jpg

-Psu heatsink conversion, day 120: Here I've milled pilot holes and a curve.

16-6-1-5_zpskjxhqnuk.jpg

-It's amazing how a few drops of oil can turn everything into a mess. Here I turned one of the sinks 90 degrees and cut more pilot holes.

16-6-1-6_zps850ggied.jpg

-I had to mill out some of the fins to get the tiny bit in there.

16-6-1-7_zpsz0ohhiz9.jpg

-Pilot holes need drilled out, but my drill press needed some work done on it. -Let's just say putting it in the messy garage turned out to be a bad idea. Not locking the table down was also a bad idea.

While I was working on that, we started getting outages, but I still have pics...

16-6-1black_zpsuxapobg3.jpg

-Here I'm hack sawing off the excess material in the garage by flashlight.

-Here I'm hack sawing off the exces-Here I'm cutting some 2" angle aluminum that will become the feet eventually.

-Here I drilled the mounting holes for the leg brackets.

-Here I tapped all the newly drilled holes in the brackets.

See a theme here? I've been off the grid so much, I gave up on resetting clocks.

16-6-1-11_zpsvga5otrz.jpg

-Sunlight! I rushed back inside and milled these out. Just in time, too. The power started blinking again as soon as I finished. :(

16-6-1-13_zpsuparkk3l.jpg

-A little 200 grit sanding to debur...

16-6-1-15_zpsajkrq6ul.jpg

-Here's the rough assembly. I should have left some of the heatsink riser so I'd have something to mount stuff too. :(  I only got 3 of the purple spacers cut before the power blinked...

16-6-1-16_zpsv0ltrood.jpg

-I finish up with a peek of the leg layout. See you later, weather permitting... Thanks again to my sponsors:

gigabyte_logobig_zps1548aa54.jpg

amd_7850k_AMD_A10_7850K_Processor_Kaveri

mnpctech_store_logo_2014.jpg

Swiftech_logobig_zps8600ffc5.jpg

hmm. I just watched the Superman movie an an {It showed up on my computer} Bat vs. Superdude. All I can say is. You'd give Lex L a f'n good run for all his money. Yup. Bats would hire ya first. Though I'm not sure how you and Fox would get along. I figure. you'll work it out.

More of a supervillain kinda person, to be honest...

BTW, you posted while I was editing pt. 2 ofthe post. That's way too fast, dude.:D

Wow. It feels weird. It's been at least 4 days since the last power blink. I must have been on the toilet for some of them.

16-6-2-4_zpsfvzdnbql.jpg

-Hey! I finally found a way to stop that pesky GWX.exe bullshit. 
When I was coding the CAM files for this update's stuff, my computer stopped and said: " Do you want to save before--TOO FUCKING BAD! YOU ARE REEBOOTING AND INSTALLING 10!" What's really bad is I set my rigs up to ask me to do anything, especially rebooting.
So, virus-like behavior=hard shutdown and back up to a previous restore point. GXW seems to have a hard time reinstalling itself without internet.:p-md:

Anyway...

16-6-2-2_zpsnftrbtoc.jpg

-Half a second of thought was put into how the purple bits would be held in place. This is part one.

16-6-2-3_zpstajifzed.jpg

-See the dif? I cut some tiny insets for the hole and fused them to the purple spacers.

16-6-2-5_zps9szmdaiq.jpg

-Milling new feet. See the paper towel? That was a horrible idea. Later, a bit barely caught it, and suddenly the oily chips were gone... Well the neat pile was gone. The paper flung it everywhere before exploding into tiny oil-soaked bits.

16-6-2-7_zps0wmuibad.jpg

-You have rolled a twenty. Your paladin has done 40 damage to... ah, no. -These are case feet. You can see a tiny notch cut in the 90degree bend in the middle. That was my center reference point for flipping the part.

16-6-2-8_zpsr0fg970f.jpg

-I leave this stubby update with a layout teaser. See you again.

Paper towels and spinning sharp things never ends well lol  Look forward to more, Cheaps

You might have noticed the liberal use of epoxy lately...

16-6-3-1_zpsnd3csqnc.jpg

-You know that bit under your sink that connects to the drain lever? I had a bunch of brass '70s-era ones that had been mistreated and replaced. This is a cap from one the lever seal of one. I stripped the chrome to get some hot brass action. 

16-6-3-3_zpsegri7cbh.jpg

-I slapped some packing cellophane on the tank and gave the power switch assembly a slathering of epoxy.

16-6-3-4_zpso5e1p0zx.jpg

-I milled out 4 'toilet seats' while that dried. 

16-6-3-7_zpsr9vtdmpa.jpg

-You can tell here I did a second dose of mud. I switched to electrical tape for masking because the cellophane left gaps. This pic gives you a good idea how oblong the tank is too.

Thanks again to my sponsors:

gigabyte_logobig_zps1548aa54.jpg

amd_7850k_AMD_A10_7850K_Processor_Kaveri

mnpctech_store_logo_2014.jpg

Swiftech_logobig_zps8600ffc5.jpg

I took a week off to draw circles... many, many circles. Blame Bill.

16-7-1-1_zpsgcb7tsd3.jpg

-I said something about space for USB, right? First, I gotta get some decoration going.

16-7-1-2_zpsdmqohpzk.jpg

-Best use for those crappy steel T-slot toilet bolts yet.

16-7-1-3_zpseiekj4m3.jpg

-Venting. This is what happens when the best way to cut the metal is with the edge of a cutting disc, but the hole is smaller than your discs. I have a grinding stone somewhere that's half the size it originally was. That's what I finished with.

16-7-1-7_zpsvaxozb7i.jpg

-Hack sawing only one side of this at a time.. Think about what an awkward Olympic event that must have been. Now imagine doing it in 98 degree heat. :(

16-7-1-6_zpsivbjja41.jpg

-For the curved bits on the above cut, I was filing back a ton of material. I thought, "This is killing me. I bet I have something that can do this faster. After some digging, I found a pack of rotary files that had never been opened in drill bit box #3. :lol:

16-7-1-8_zpsrb6if9fk.jpg

-I can't cut all the way through the tube, so I made a ding in the tank instead.

16-7-1-9_zpsjany4acf.jpg

-I still have some baseball bat left. Who wants to watch the mill party?

16-7-1-10_zpse6uspy5d.jpg

-I got pretty aggressive with this cut. I found the vise was moving.

16-7-1-11_zpsziuuj8np.jpg

-You know it's a good party when you have to shovel the swarf out of the way.

16-7-1-12_zpsgym2eefl.jpg

-Here's what I plan to use that part for.

16-7-1-15_zpsbkr3ilqi.jpg

-I spent a whole day buffing the cap of my turnip. -I said that. Yes, I did. The final polish shows off how dented up the tank is. I thought polishing the bit behind the purple plexi would look good.

16-7-1-16_zpsqcwaxwt1.jpg

-Some of the polycarb scrap matches the curve of the tank, so I made a mounting block with it.

16-7-1-17_zpsrrxdrzbm.jpg

-I finish up with a pic of a mess of tape and epoxy. 
-That's all for now. :D Later, Munkeys.

OK, I'm done bumping a project log that died before the ModZoo was created. :kyle:

16-7-2-3_zpsl5pcqdeo.jpg

-This is the bottom connection for that tube. I may have over-engineered it.

16-7-2-2_zpstylojz7l.jpg

-Here's why it's done like that. It makes an internal countersink possible.

16-7-2-5_zpsozfuqanh.jpg

-Here it is with the part that glues into the pipe. The electrical tape is to keep any glue from sticking.

16-7-2-6_zpsrg88qwps.jpg

-I remember saying somewhere I would give a preview of what all this random madness would look like.

16-7-2-7_zpsnm4jnht3.jpg

-I bet you are all still confused though. I do that to people.

17 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

OK, I'm done bumping a project log that died before the ModZoo was created. :kyle:

I doubt that :P

It looks pretty cool now that we can see the whole thing-ish

Thanks. :D Yeah, I screwed up not being able to give everyone a good idea of what was happening.

and I'll be back after Kyle to do something, just not for a few months. I'm penciling in a November visit. If Hitler crawls back out of the grave or the East Coast falls into the sea, We'll know he updated his log.

How does this forum thing work...
17-5-1-3_zps3le7eecd.jpg
-That tube I milled 1/4" holes in was so I could tap this 1/4" purple rod into the holes. The tapered tube to the side is with the mounting plates that attached it to the case MANY MONTHS AGO.
17-5-1-4_zpskk6cngaj.jpg
-Here that is sanded down smooth.
17-5-1-6_zpssg0xrg2s.jpg
-I was still trying to remove the chrome from the faucet tube. 
17-5-1-7_zpswgdhitms.jpg
-For that I needed some flap sanding discs. I could buy some God-awful expensive Dremel ones, or... Yeah.:D
17-5-1-8_zpshnmigwpr.jpg
-A little cardboard backing and I'm ready to rock.
17-5-1-11_zpsmw1wpidj.jpg
-A little side mod I did to a crappy tool design. The battery attachment point disintegrated due to the violent tool vibration. I made an extension cord.

To disgust you, or give you a vague idea of WHY I have been gone so long:
redrum72_zps097mvxza.jpg
-Check out that sweet paint work! This is vacancy one, somewhere in 2016. They honestly thought they could paint over the filth.
catowners17_zpsdddfmtag.jpg
-This is my current project immediately after the scoop-shovel squad finished up. Feral cats, rats, raccoons in the attic, and a hen in the garage. Drugs are bad, M'kay?

-Hoping to do a real update someday. Think of this as a postcard from limbo.

Darn, was hoping for more lol  I had to go look back at some of the previous posts to remind myself where things are at lol

Crappy tenants suck... 

Hey, I had to re-read a few posts too.:rolleyes: 

crappy... Was that a pun? Every flat surface in that last house was caked with cat shit and pee. I had to pull the pergo floor in the living room because underneath was soaked with pee. On the plus side, No more laminate flooring. It's a pain in the ass to put down, and this finally convinced the "boss" to use wood-look tile instead. 

I feel a rant coming on..

Let's see... house one moved ten family members in that didn't work. They flooded the house repeatedly until our contractor busted them.

House two bugged out and left 90% of his junk behind. The big problem I had there was the neighbors across the street acted like gypsies and dug through all the trash I put out and threw it all over, so I had to truck everything home to dispose of it. They wanted to move in too...Yeah, No.

House three was crazy cat lady.

House four moved in, only paid the first month's rent, and let her 6' plus 'kid' punch holes in everything and smoke to a level that would put Bob Marley to shame. -Not our house. We never would have let them in. ;) 

#5 is in eviction process. This guy was actually the best tenant we've had in this house, but the neighbor is an ass. The owner is taking this opportunity to sell the house so he can re-locate his properties to another state. Here's the fun bit. Property is currently being bought up by Chinese investors. Their MO is to rent to subsidized housing tenants. :D I can guarantee that that is going to give the ass neighbor a stroke, and possibly destroy property values all around.

-This one is going to suck because the house belonged to the king of "glue it, and screw it." It's going to need a lot of fixing if it is going to be sold. House one was the same owner, and it was fixed for sale. 

So, yeah. Almost a year of suckage. Zero break-ins, though. That's a plus.

I'm glad you caught the pun lol  

That does not sound like much fun.  Bonus on the no break-ins I guess?  Chinese investors, who I presume will have someone over here manage or do they try to handle all that too?  That's interesting, being in residential single occupancy housing that far away... 

There are local property management companies popping up all over. The property market here went insane ages ago and Houston is turning into a solid 50+ mile radius subdivision. Foreclosure sales started blocking investment offers for the first month their house is on the market, so the owner occupied offers could get a chance.

The problem with Chinese investors is their MO: They offer full price cash or better to get the contract, then try like crazy to haggle the price down to nothing, try to get out of the commission fees, ask for cash back at closing... all kinds of illegal shit.