Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

48 posts in this topic

Niiiice and purty!

Thanks, bro!

Not a bad technique for installing standoffs... I suppose I could do that with tapered machine screws through wood too, instead of threaded inserts to screw regular standoffs into...

Yeah it worked out quite well.  I just hate cutting screws, especially steel.  And only a couple of mm's.  Just isn't worth the heart-ache.

Looks awesome. :D

Dare I ask where you got the patterned plexi?

Thanks man!

I've used it in the past; it's actually pearl-acrylic.  They make marble, etc. too in all colors but it's becoming increasingly difficult to get a hold of for some reason.  I think I got this from Taps at the time?  It's old material I had been sitting on for like 5 years.  I'd prefer to get from Delvie's as they used to know me quite well, lol, but they don't carry anything like that.  At least I don't think they do?  Who knows, maybe something has changed.

Too late. The "plastic hoarder" found something. See my above post.

Gotta say, ~$13 shipping is nice for a stack of 12 x 24" sheets. I find it funny they can sell Acrylite/evonic stuff for MUCH cheaper than the manufacturer. Viva Delvies! Shut up and take my money!

Hahah, yeah the Acrylite stuff rocks.  I love matte opaques the best, but the translucent can come in handy definitely.  Was always so hard to find back in the day!

Update time!

LilyPC is completed.  Unfortunately I don't have final photos -- ran out of time.  :(  I will however get those taken care of early next week some time, so I can button up this log entirely.  I do have some additional shots during my final assembly this evening.  I didn't take a ton of meaningful photos as I was just trying to complete the build.

Let's get to it, shall we?

1st off, I had been meaning to create some sort of wire/cable management unit similar to the 'wire comb' that everyone has basically their own version of; the one thing I've found messing with any of them that I have come across is the fact that the wires can pop out of them easily.  And having a completely round hole is great, only it would be a shame to have to remove pins just to remove the wire from the comb. 

I decided to split the difference.

LilyPC_V2_078.jpg

Now, the wire won't pop out of the cavity, but it's also fairly easy to remove the wires when/if necessary.   And they're specifically designed to fit in with this project.   :)

Showing installation...

LilyPC_V2_079.jpg

Some additional assembly shots...

LilyPC_V2_080.jpg

False-floor to cover up the wiring and dress up the inside a bit more.  The lace sets it off a bit more for me.  My wife thought I was nuts at 1st until she saw it completed -- then she realized what I meant.

LilyPC_V2_081.jpg

Some more shots of the interior... 

LilyPC_V2_082.jpg

LilyPC_V2_083.jpg

Back plate with recessed captive nut for the power jack.  Main reason I did that is the material was too thick for the jack's threads and I couldn't track down a replacement that had longer threads on it.  This came out a lot better anyway; it's clean.

LilyPC_V2_084.jpg

Back I/O area...

LilyPC_V2_085.jpg

Front completed and assembled...

LilyPC_V2_086.jpg

Assembled shot of LilyPC!  (well, minus the other side panel attached, but just wanted to show interior too).  :)  I didn't get too many shots of the process, but that's my custom plunger power switch.  Acrylic bevel holds it in place and allows movement in and out of the case slightly when button is pressed.  Works like a charm, and best of all it's not yet-another bloody Bulgin rip-off vandal switch!  ;)

LilyPC_V2_087.jpg

Alright, that's all I have for now.  I'm going to get things cleaned up, polished and ready to go for her party soon.  I actually got it done!  You believe that?  As I stated earlier, I'll be back with final photos to call the log entirely done.

I greatly appreciate the watching!  Take care and see you soon!  Toodles!

EEL_ind_sig.png

Man you're an astist. 

After i see Clunk and Hubris is obvious that your a great modder, but what you did with this project shows the level of art that you put in your work.

Great one mate!!! Pretty Awesome job, is the perfect PC for a little girl. 

I salute you!!

Thanks, m8!  I appreciate the kind words.  Although I don't consider Hubris one of my mine -- that was more or less just putting parts together which is why it's not an EEL project; I prefer getting creative with stuff.  ;)

A little bit from both parents if I remember correctly. Filled with rare artifacts and extra love, you get the recipe for awesome.

Holy Cow! I could see miniature version sold by American Girl

Thanks bro!  I told Morgue that and she laughed.

A little bit from both parents if I remember correctly. Filled with rare artifacts and extra love, you get the recipe for awesome.

Thanks bro!  I don't recall, lol.  This version was all me though.  I don't think I asked Morgue about anything on it; just kinda went with it. 

OMG! The sleeve job, the paint and smooth cuts *drools* Awesome!

Thanks!  Paracord is a bit annoying at 1st; then it kind of clicks in place working with it.  I 'cheated' and built the wires 1st and didn't crimp until I had the sleeving run on it and melted the paracord around the pins on all the wires that were 'shrinkless'.  It worked fine.  I figured it'd snag on pins easily otherwise.  I know they make tools for that but figured it made more sense just running everything beforehand.

These pics don't look at that good either; everything was sort of out of place and not cleaned up yet.  I was right down to the wire on it; glad it's basically done though!  Can't wait to shoot cleaned-up final shots of it before I call it the end of this project log.

Now that be purtyyyyy!!!  :D

The perfect PC for any girl mate, the overlaid acrylics and attention to details with the cable combs just top it off to a tee!!  B)

As promised...

Final Photos

Click thumbs for larger image

lilypc_final_01_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_02_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_03_thumb.jpg

lilypc_final_04_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_05_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_06_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_07_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_08_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_09_thumb.jpg

lilypc_final_10_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_11_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_12_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_13_thumb.jpg

lilypc_final_14_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_15_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_16_thumb.jpg

lilypc_final_17_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_18_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_19_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_20_thumb.jpg

lilypc_final_21_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_22_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_23_thumb.jpg

lilypc_final_24_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_25_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_26_thumb.jpg lilypc_final_27_thumb.jpg

Thank you & sincerest appreciation to MNPCTech and ADATA for the continued support, and most of all, patience!

Thank you, everyone!  I'll see you with the next project!

EEL_ind_sig.png

There's just so much detail in this build.  Very nice work, as always, man

Thanks, man!

Awesome, sir. :D

The video seems to be a bit blurry, I think you had the "Capt. Kirk spots a female" filter turned on.

Thanks, man!  Yeah it's shot @ 24fps too, and the star-filter overcranked on purpose so it's going to look more 'dreamy'.

As per Mos's post, the sheer level of detail is phenomenal bro; I keep looking back at the photo's and seeing something new.

Truly an epic girlie girls dream PC B)  

As per Mos's post, the sheer level of detail is phenomenal bro; I keep looking back at the photo's and seeing something new.

Truly an epic girlie girls dream PC B)  

Thanks man!  She was soooo stoked to have it too.  ...5 y/o hardware and everything.  Hahaha.

Thanks man!  She was soooo stoked to have it too.  ...5 y/o hardware and everything.  Hahaha.

Hardware may age but memories and a Daughters love for her parents are timeless bro.

Told Bill I just about bawled when I watched the vid, tugging hard on those daddy heart strings.  Great job, you detail work and layering with the acrylic is bomb.

Hardware may age but memories and a Daughters love for her parents are timeless bro.

That's true!

Told Bill I just about bawled when I watched the vid, tugging hard on those daddy heart strings.  Great job, you detail work and layering with the acrylic is bomb.

Hahaha, aww that's awesome bro.  Thanks!

+1 on the Daddy heart strings - Stuart hit it right on the head  ^_^

Hahaha thanks bro!