Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Zoyadog

Final: "CHIMAERA" by Zoyadog

41 posts in this topic
Greetings everyone! I am new to this forum and im really inspired by all the mods and worklogs I have seen so far here. :)

My name is Frida, also known as Zoyadog, and welcome to my first buildlog here. I got my interest in computers and modding for about one year ago and here is my second, but my first serious, project. 

So here is the story, I have always been in love with the Silverstone TJ07 and all its functions. I have been dreaming of creating a mod of that case for so long, and now was the time to fulfill my dream. But things changed. I never managed to get a hold of a TJ07 unfortunately, so I bought a second-hand Obsidian 800D instead. It wasn't really what I expected and I had no idea how to make this build with the unexpected case. 

But then the idea finally struck me; Why not combine the both cases, 800D and TJ07? 

I am not sure if I can call it an 800D or a TJ07 anymore, basically the whole interior of the case is now custom built.

Hardware list:

Intel i7 3930k

GIGABYTE GA x79 UD3

GTX 680 2GB SLI

Team Xtreem 4x4GB 2133Mhz CL11

x2 Intel SSD 520 240GB

Samsung SSD EVO 830 120GB

Silverstone ST1000-P

I want to thank my sponsors for making this project come to reality.

2zs672v.jpg

mttlkw.jpg

I welcome all ideas and constructive critism. :D

So basically there is nothing left of the 800D, I am going to keep the front side and the bottom. The rest will be custom made.

152dbia.jpg

nxm9fs.jpg

ibfn0p.jpg

The body has been replaced with aluminium L-profiles. The second-hand 800D I bought was in pretty good condition, except for the 480 radiator cut in the top. Luckily I will replace that.

302nzwj.jpg

9u0pdc.jpg

I've made a body for the case with aluminium L-profiles, similar to the TJ07, so I can fit the same parts in the 800D as I would do in a TJ07 case.
I've also made a radiator-holder out of a fan grill and some spare aluminium parts, so I could see if it can fit a 480 radiator in the future.

294jak2.jpg

2i8ztjk.jpg

2na742d.jpg

The ordered TJ07 motherboard tray and PSU bracket made out of plexi 

vhvtie.jpg

33116if.jpg

zjfhab.jpg

murderMod inverted ATX backplate and mid plate, fit for TJ07 aswell.

hv3sp2.jpg

hv3sp2.jpg

Parts

2sbvi53.jpg

Thanks to SilverStone for this wonderful 1000w modular PSU.

2qjeluw.jpg

357q74n.jpg

I love the stickers on my Team Xtreem 2x4GB 2133Mhz CL11, they are shifting in different colours and will fit my colour-scheme so well. Thank you Team Group and Rotakorn.

2603oe1.jpg

33kc7ex.jpg

Thanks GIGABYTE for this beautiful GA x79 UD3, this one will be powering my i7 3930k. :)

110bvhc.jpg

eknllk.jpg

Bits and pieces on place!
All the TJ07 trays and plates were fitting perfectly. I made a first attempt to bend a plexi wall also, it wasn't the easiest part. But with a little extra work on it, it will probably be just fine!

23u35ns.jpg

aeqsl4.jpg

900lmo.jpg

2qlhljp.jpg

New parts arrived! I thank Coolingstuff.se for the great service and cooperation with my project.
Small teasers on the GPU-blocks for the 680's from Aquacomputer.
I also received the radiator, pump, fans and some other accessories. Had to return the pump top for the D5 tho due to a small error on it.

6p85rc.jpg

16lkxo8.jpg

2uiyk9u.jpg

Ive been working on the case for a few days now. It was time to fix the poor window in the top and trying to figure out something to do with the front.   :)

28a185w.jpg

34zel3l.jpg

29zy2rq.jpg

1180dg8.jpg

iz26fq.jpg

Also time to fix a new window on the side panel. 
Since the motherboard is now inverted, the original side panel window will now be behind the motherboard. Therefore I had to make another window. Its going to keep the 800D-look, except that it will be devided into two parts. One part for the window, and the other one for air-intake for the radiator.

I accidentaly left it out in the rain, if you wonder why the tape is buckled. :)

2ztk26e.jpg

hspdfl.jpg

28qzpeq.jpg

So here is the new look for the front and top, its going to be frosted plexi all the way where its cut.

sfdnrb.jpg

This small part will be between the front panel-plexi and top window-plexi, to make sure that the plexi-panels wont crack when the case is moving.

2569zwo.jpg

Here is a small sample where I tried out the frosted plexi :)

2a6qkis.jpg

Pretty epic start, there.:D I think I read that right-You are joining the plexi in the front and top like a wrap-around window? I like.:D

Left out in the rain: You are going to have a grand time cleaning that panel.:lol:

Also, That ball of twigs or whatever in the pic just above that one is terrifying. If you saw something like that here and kicked it, spiders, hornets, roaches, and god knows what else would swarm out!

Looking good so far mate,

Love anything 800D related, Keep up the interesting builds and good work

Thank you :)

Pretty epic start, there. :D I think I read that right-You are joining the plexi in the front and top like a wrap-around window? I like. :D

Left out in the rain: You are going to have a grand time cleaning that panel. :lol:

Also, That ball of twigs or whatever in the pic just above that one is terrifying. If you saw something like that here and kicked it, spiders, hornets, roaches, and god knows what else would swarm out!

Yeah Im almost finished with the wrap-around look, having some hard time putting together the three pieces of plexi ive made for the front and top. Ive tried melting them together and glueing, cracked both times :( Going to figure something out and post an update of it (if i can do it haha). I also had a hard time removing all that sticky tape, had to use some alcohol to remove and i rubbed it like forever  <_<

Wow im lucky we dont have those things here in Sweden, just some creepy spiders but theyre harmless :)

Great work on the case . . . I really like the wrap around plexi look you are going for it should be sweet.

Cheers

Fen

Thanks alot!  :)

Great idea, selection of components and photos. Welcome to the Mod Zoo!

Thank you alot! I really enjoy this forum :)

Those murdermod bits look great on a 800d....

Glad you like it! Thanks.

are they murdermod bits or from coldzero ?

The backside and midplate is murderMod. Motherboard tray and PSU bracket is Coldzero  :)

Can't go wrong with frosted plexi, something about it is so appealing.  Epic start on the build, what are you going with for colors?

Would love to visit Sweden, my relatives just visited Minnesota this summer, they live in Västra Götaland.

Can't go wrong with frosted plexi, something about it is so appealing.  Epic start on the build, what are you going with for colors?

Would love to visit Sweden, my relatives just visited Minnesota this summer, they live in Västra Götaland.

I hope you will like the frosted plexi in this new update  :lol: The colors will be violet, light grey/silver-ish, titanium grey and black :)

Ive heard that there are alot of swedish descendants in Minnesota.  :) If you come visit, wait until summer, unless youre going skiing because its too cold here  :P

Hi!

Since the last update i've been doing more dirty work, sanding and putting on filler to the plexi parts. The murderMod midplate has been remade to fit my case instead of the standard TJ07 dimensions. As I managed to crack the extension of the plate I got some help from Laine to melt together the plates and cracks using a soldering iron. Here are the results! :D

f1js0i.jpg

xqjl7o.jpg

2z868vt.jpg

10705s9.jpg

And together with the mid-wall... :)

11uzzvc.jpg

Now its time to paint the clean-cut top of the case.

Before the first layer of paint: 

vy0e1i.jpg

21cyv0l.jpg

123qzvm.jpg

With some primer on the interior, as you can see it needs some more work on it before the final coating. Same with the top of the case.

35hejvs.jpg

9hkwok.jpg

The 800D front after opening up the 5.25 slots  ;)

2jd5551.jpg
Hmm... I kind of like the look of grey coating with the mM logo.

28lzzuo.jpg

2m83asz.jpg

I made a temporarily assembling of the case just to get a look on it. Here is what the frosting will look like, as you can see I haven't merged together the two frosted plates yet.

2q2ha34.jpg

2zyev6b.jpg

2vcdx51.jpg

28l7zmg.jpg

If you have any suggestions to be made in this mod or questions, feel free to comment :D

24l1kkm.jpg

Loving it, keep it coming. good work on the weld, it looks strong.

and love the outdoor pictures

Thank you! The cracks arent visable at all, im really happy with that.

I really enjoy working outdoors  :D

Hows your project coming along Zoyadog?

Its going fine! All the hard parts for the case has been made, now its time to fix them a bit and put some paint on. Then its time for hardware modding :)

Hello again

Today I applied for a contest called "Intel's Kitchen." Its a new computer-building contest in Sweden, just like "Hell's Kitchen", but with computers! It would be so much fun to be chosen, but a little scary.  :o

Today I am going to post some water cooling-parts, yay! I have finally come up with an idea on how the loop will look. Now im waiting for the fittings to arrive, I am so excited!

Thanks again Coolingstuff.se for these wonderful items.  :wub:

Aquacomputer backplate for GTX 680

k1qteh.jpg

Water Tank Z-Multi 250 (Acrylic Version)

jtbafp.jpg

2cenqbt.jpg

3329ix4.jpg

Alphacool VPP655 with EK D5 X-top Clear Acrylic

6tl020.jpg

2cmmz2p.jpg

Aquacomputer kryographics GTX 680 acrylic & nickel

2j2urgg.jpg

Aquacomputer airplex 420 with 3 x NB BlackSilent Pro PK-PS

11bnall.jpg

dqhybk.jpg

Thats it for today!  :rolleyes:

25rlcsg.jpg

very nice, and Good luck with the contest!

thanks, and yes im chosen for the contest!!  :lol:

Really nice, be proud of this mod because its really turning out great :)

Top notch Swedish modding ;)

Thank you, looking forward to see how your mod turns out aswell 

^_^

I really like what you're doing with this! Awesome job!

Many thanks :)

Great work Zoyadog! Hope to see you at Intels Kitchen :)

/J.

And we will be meeting up there! Im so excited!

Hi. More hardware today, and some case mods!

YES! Im in the contest, Intel's Kitchen chose me! 12 people will compete in building the best computer in Sweden, and im one of them! :) Im so happy for this opportunity!

But now for the update:
Looks like stuff is going together now. I was so impatient with the fittings so I just HAD to connect them all before taking photos... I have now managed the loop as you will see a bit of it in this update. All hardware for this build is now in my current PC, so I am not going to try it out with the loop yet. 

Some holes made for the pass-through fittings.

fyef7r.jpg

2nsymvo.jpg

1252blc.jpg

Also all the plexi-extenders are done for the midplate now! It fits perfectly in the case. 

xatafr.jpg

And now some fittings...

The pass-thru's!

1johmx.jpg

And more!

j11ysk.jpg

2ugccqd.jpg

t7jsar.jpg

Here is my first work with acrylic tubing, using Primochill revolver fittings.

14x3482.jpg

11ud9wi.jpg

jk7hib.jpg

346ugs0.jpg

For the pump bracket, this is one unique custom bracket design made by Laine for my build. 

16gn585.jpg

epn42q.jpg

15388xg.jpg

j8mtz8.jpg

Thats it for now, ill finish this update with some nice pictures of my water cooling stuff!

aca98g.jpg

2zid1xw.jpg

s6ox0j.jpg

Nice bit of work done there Zoyadog. Looking forward to the progress. Best of luck in the Kitchen Frida ( also goes for Justin   :)  )

For those who would like to follow the live stream of the build contest. Although page in swedish, timer is up&running and we should all be able to follow the actual builds when it gets underway yeah?

looking great! giving me inspiration for my 800d build! Best of luck in Intels Kitchen!

Thanks alot! Your "best of luck" really did help me :)

That's a beauty mate, It's amazing how many good Swedish modders there are out there. 

Thank you. Yeah we really have a great community for modders here and we are all connected, in some way :)

Nice bit of work done there Zoyadog. Looking forward to the progress. Best of luck in the Kitchen Frida ( also goes for Justin   :)  )

For those who would like to follow the live stream of the build contest. Although page in swedish, timer is up&running and we should all be able to follow the actual builds when it gets underway yeah?

Thanks. I hope you enjoyed the show even tho it was in Swedish :)

Looking all sorts of sexy, great pics btw.

Many thanks!

Gotta love this! 

Thank you!

Update finally! :)

I've been away for a while, had a lot of stuff going on with the recording of Intel's Kitchen. And now I finally can say, after one month of secrecy, that I won the contest together with Lucas G (Auxilium/iSw3de). It has been a wonderful experience. The winning computer arrived at my place yesterday, and im going to start a new modding project after Chimaera is finished.

Here is a sneak peak on my new X99 rig with 970 SLI:

1zf3sw.jpg

I have been working a lot the last few days, because I have Autumn holiday, with both sleeving and the case. This is also the first time im sleeving. Here are the results!

1ptmvc.jpg

zvpr1y.jpg

2aih3qx.jpg

2zyl7vb.jpg

2yjric5.jpg

s1l06a.jpg

29p9onm.jpg

Creating extensions on the cables... 

2unx8hs.jpg

2nhgq4j.jpg

x26s12.jpg

144a4at.jpg

14d39n9.jpg

vs01o9.jpg

:)
98sq9z.jpg

1nzoup.jpg

2s5yu6o.jpg

10xc22s.jpg

I have not arranged the cables yet, but this is how they look!

i252tv.jpg

Thats it for today!  :D

2exsktu.jpg