Sign in to follow this  
riesscar

New Build Advice

Hello all,

Having just finished my 900D high-end build, I have begun the planning phase of my newest build.  This is a budget build that I am doing for a Boys' Home in New Orleans.  The theme (and I'm sure that this will not please NFL fans in other cities) is going to be a black and gold NO Saints build.  This is particularly easy given the black/gold color scheme of ASUS' most recent line of MB's.  A brief outline of the parts I have decided on so far:

MB: Asus A88X-PRO

APU: A10-6800K

GPU: None

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9G)

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

HDD: 2x300GB WD Green Drives that I took from old machines

PSU: Corsair RM 450W

I have narrowed down my chassis selection to 2 options:

Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-Tower

Which of these two chassis would you recommend?  The price is comparable, and I am familiar with Corsair's Obsidian Line; however, I am leaning toward the Phanteks because it gets praise from reviewers, it comes with a psu cover and hdd cage plate, and because it looks quite nice; however, I am worried that -- since this is a budget build with an APU rather than a GPU+CPU -- the system may look empty in a full-tower chassis vs a mid-tower.  I also am not so sure I like the way that the Phanteks panel windows are laid out, but I cannot judge this without having seen the case.  I am leaning toward the Phanteks chassis, but I am open to suggestions for the 450D or any other case.

My second question is about gold spray paint.  Can someone recommend a good gold metallic spray paint for my custom painted parts and components?  I typically use automotive quality spray paint, and I prefer enamel based over lacquer for the durability.  I can use a lacquer paint, but I hate having to apply clear enamel as I am inept at doing so evenly.  Obviously I need the paint to match the gold on the MB, so that is really of paramount importance.

Thanks for any advice on these two issues,

Carson 

In my opinion I would go with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-Tower, my reasons for stating this is because I like the space. Not only do I feel it makes it easier to work with the case, but also lends the opportunity to large future upgrades. About 7 years ago I decided to buy my first Full Tower case and I have never looked back, in fact I am still using that case today.

If you don't like the side panel, maybe look at doing a mod to the panel itself. But that's just my suggestion as I'm really just getting into the full modding of cases.