Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

38 posts in this topic

Lol, used to watch that show a long time ago. Found the commentaries bot funny and annoying sometimes. Looks awesome!

*Reaches deep down into the bowels of the project-log subforum and grabs a hold of something dark and dismal, and pulls really hard on it*  

Update time!

Alright, after a relatively-modest 7-8 year break, things are back on track! :lol:

In all seriousness, things were very weird for a very long time.  So many things have changed since this original log started all those years ago, such as the fact that MST3K is officially BACK FROM THE DEAD with a whole new season with a new cast starting soon!  I don't want to use the word 'reboot', but it actually kind of applies in this instance.  Same as when Mike took over from Joel as host in a sense.  But it feels different.  I'm beginning to see all the old-school MSTies coming out of the woodwork out there, and it's a great feeling.  

Anways, with this amazing news and an official drop-date of April 14th, 2017 on Netflix, I figured I'd finally get back to this project and finish it once and for all.  You know, because it needs to be done.  And...because it's been in the back of my mind for literally years, nagging at me like an incessant child.  I have to admit I'm also a Kickstarter backer for bringing the show back, as I'm that much of a rabid fan.  I personally owe a lot to this little show; it helped me get through a lot of dark times in my own life, and it still brings a smile to my face to this day.  And my 6-year old son LOVES it too, which isn't much of a surprise -- It's in the DNA!

Alright, let's stop talking about my precious fluids, and get to the moddin', as that's what we're here for, right?

So much time has passed since this log began, and with multiple moves and other occurrences in life, things happen.  And just like Lemony Snicket, sometimes those things that happen are unfortunate things.  Such as.... a custom window panel that had a lot of time spent on it ended up getting destroyed in a move because of carelessness. :(  Not blaming anyone, but it was because people who helped us move once decided it didn't look important and decided they'd just...kinda toss the panel like a flying disc. :/

mst3k_moviesign_159.jpg

(Wow, look at that!  Up there!  ^ Isn't it weird?  Over 7 YEARS, and it's a new pic!  And in widescreen now too, because it's a reflection of the times and stuff!)

Oy!  Where the hell is Crow's head?!  Dammit!
It kind of sucks, but the metal portion of the panel is entirely salvageable.  I just have to remake all the acrylic stuff.  Not a major issue, but it still sucks, ya know?  

mst3k_moviesign_160.jpg

Just have to take it all apart again....

mst3k_moviesign_161.jpg

...And give it a good shower and clean it up.  A minor setback.

mst3k_moviesign_162.jpg

Yeck.  Look at that....  In the immortal words of Ernest P. Worrell, "ewwwwwwww."

mst3k_moviesign_163.jpg

After a good shower/scrub-down, it's good as new.  Some minor spots I can buff out and will be fine, so that's a load off my mind at least.

Moving on!  

Since it's been a few weeks (read: years) since I began this log, tech has changed a bit.  Did you know that?  So I've decided to update the paltry USB 2.0 ports up top on the chassis to USB 3.0!  Yes, there's a 3.0!  Did you know that?

mst3k_moviesign_164.jpg

Should be an easy retrofit, as most of the hard work has already been done recently (read: 7 yrs ago).

mst3k_moviesign_165.jpg

...and done.  Just have to do a dry-run fitment on it to verify, but should be fine.

mst3k_moviesign_172.jpg

Since tech has changed a bit since the last update, only slightly, I've also decided I'd ditch the DVD drive in there for a Blu-Ray Disc drive as well, as that would make my younger brother pretty peachy, ya know?

mst3k_moviesign_166.jpg

Sheesh, that IS kinda old, isn't it.

mst3k_moviesign_167.jpg

Let's pull that old thing out and toss it, I guess.  Anyone have a 12-gauge?  PULL!  

mst3k_moviesign_168.jpg

...And the new Blu-Ray Disc drive inserted.  Easy as pie, as they say.

I've also decided I would overhaul the whole look for things a bit and make it more 'whimsical'.  Mostly because I have a ton of scrap material I'd just like to use up, and ironically the original color material I used on a lot of the stuff on the original chassis, I do not have more of.  Ugh.  I don't feel like wasting money on stuff I don't need to get, as I can just change a few things and use stuff up in the process.  Win-win!

Such as the outside of it.  I'm overhauling the acrylic color a bit to reflect a more zany feel.  Such as this!

mst3k_moviesign_171.jpg

Nothin' like showin' some good ole' lovin' for The Gizmonic Institute!  I've decided to ditch the stock metal PSU bracket and do something completely custom instead, as well as covering over some areas on the chassis that are 'weird'.  With the panels on, it will feel more symmetrical too, if that makes sense.  I'm already hard at work on converting over and updating everything else to reflect the feel. :)

Due to an amazing backer, supporter, partner and friend, and coincidentally a mod-god legend, this project also has a completely new set of hardware to go in it.  

mst3k_moviesign_169.jpg

Special thanks to "Overkill Bill" Owen from MNPCTech for making it happen!!  :clap: 

mst3k_moviesign_170.jpg

This is a going to be a pretty bloody-fast rig too.  I've decided to donate an AMD R9 280X to it as well, in order to give some decent gaming ability to it, along with misc. things like an SSD and HDD for data, etc.

Coming up in the near future, I'll be getting some other things done on this project, like this thing:

mst3k_moviesign_173.jpg

I have a hard date of April 14th, so I Gotta get crackin'!

-------------

Thank you to my amazingly patient supporters:

mnpc_bottomsponsor.pngxigma_bottomsponsor.pngppcs_bottomsponsor.png

-------------
Thanks for watchin'!

EEL_ind_sig.png

Wow, talk about digging things up and "look what the kat dragged in"

LOL

Well now that this has been rebooted I'm eager to see the outcome.

Having at least two staff members active is good. -Although my last call from Bill was mostly, "Oh, **** I'm so ****busy!!" There's no hope for Kyle, but seeing this has tempted me into taking a 'sick day'. 

9 hours ago, RcRon7 said:

Wow, talk about digging things up and "look what the kat dragged in"

LOL

Well now that this has been rebooted I'm eager to see the outcome.

Thanks, man!  I'm hoping to blitzkrieg this thing quickly!

7 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

Having at least two staff members active is good. -Although my last call from Bill was mostly, "Oh, **** I'm so ****busy!!" There's no hope for Kyle, but seeing this has tempted me into taking a 'sick day'. 

Aahahahah!

Update time!  

I gotta keep plugging away, even if it's minor stuff.  Let's get to it!

Continuing with the makeover on the acrylic, I've also made some new hub stickers to fall further down the MST3K hole (does that sound dirty?  I think it sounds dirty...  what the hell is wrong with me?!).

mst3k_moviesign_174.jpg

Here they are!  Vinyl, and ready for stickering action!

mst3k_moviesign_175.jpg

With the top fan removed, I can get to the hub...

mst3k_moviesign_176.jpg

....and re-stickered!

mst3k_moviesign_177.jpg

Gotta put the grill, etc. back on it, so I can reinstall where it will reside. The bottom side of the fan isn't going to matter at all really as you won't be able to see it from the bottom anyway, but I'll know it's there so I have to do it!  It's kind of like smearing feces on the wall, letting it dry, and then painting over the top of it with some decent eggshell latex paint.  ...actually, it's nothing like that.  Sorry I said anything. ...What the hell is wrong with me?

mst3k_moviesign_178.jpg

Ahem.  Ready for install. 

mst3k_moviesign_179.jpg

...And done, with new refreshed frame.

mst3k_moviesign_180.jpg

Let's do the same for the rear exhaust as well!

mst3k_moviesign_181.jpg

...And done!  

mst3k_moviesign_182.jpg

mst3k_moviesign_183.jpg

I have lots of stuff planned for this project; I just have to make the dreams a reality.  Just need time to concentrate, and execute!  Runnin' out of time, and I'm feeling it already, haha.  Gotta do it!  I'll be back for more as soon as I can.

mst3k_moviesign_184.jpg

-------------

-------------
Thanks for watchin'!

EEL_ind_sig.png

Update time!  Let's get to it.  

I've been hammering away at this project, and admittedly it's getting away from me.  Mostly because I'm bursting with ideas and I'm running out of time, quickly, for me to be able to form these ideas into actual physical creations.  I'm trying, though.  If I don't get this done in time, which is highly possible, I'm going to push until it is completed.  I have to.  It's a moral imperative.

mst3k_moviesign_185.jpg

CPU socket area with CPU.  Time to get it prepped for the air-cooler to be attached.

mst3k_moviesign_186.jpg

Spackled some TIM on it...

mst3k_moviesign_187.jpg

...And completed.  But that's not all.  I'm going to customize the cooler so it fits the feel of things a bit!

mst3k_moviesign_188.jpg

Some design-work completed as well as some paint work later, and there we have it.  Finishing up on assembly!

mst3k_moviesign_189.jpg

Done.  Moving on!

mst3k_moviesign_190.jpg

Forgot to add the Gizmonic sticker to the other side of the rear fan, haha.  It's done now!

Now, the next thing I wanted to do to this project was tie it together even more in the MST3K lore. 

mst3k_moviesign_191.jpg

What better way to do that then having ole' Gypsy looking things over inside?  

mst3k_moviesign_192.jpg

Let's get to it!

mst3k_moviesign_193.jpg

After a few minutes of screwing around with this admittedly scarce limited-edition 'figurine', I finally got her 'eye' removed.

mst3k_moviesign_194.jpg

Now I can hack away at the solid body...  I need it all removed n' stuff.

mst3k_moviesign_195.jpg

Now, I need to make some room on the back side of her head so I can get at the internals.

mst3k_moviesign_196.jpg

Drill, drill, drill!

mst3k_moviesign_197.jpg

That's probably about as good as it will get.  Moving on.

mst3k_moviesign_198.jpg

Non-split loom to recreate her body!  Only thing is...  she seems a little...  I dunno...  flaccid. :jawdrop:

mst3k_moviesign_199.jpg

Let's drill out the 'eye' here...  I gots an idea.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...   due to technology moving on, sometimes mods will have to be revisited and be re-modded to make it able to work with newer technology.  This is one of those times.  :| 

Because of the backplate mount for the CPU cooler, I've had to go in and do some surgery on the already-completed chassis to make some room for it.

Sigh.  Marked off.

mst3k_moviesign_200.jpg

Ready to cut the crap.

mst3k_moviesign_201.jpg

Drilled to start the holes.

mst3k_moviesign_202.jpg

mst3k_moviesign_203.jpg

mst3k_moviesign_204.jpg

Done.  Now for some cuts.

mst3k_moviesign_205.jpg

mst3k_moviesign_206.jpg

Rotary tool action, as I don't feel like messing with the jigsaw tonight.

mst3k_moviesign_207.jpg

Close enough; it'll be hidden anyway by the mobo, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

mst3k_moviesign_208.jpg

Cleaned up with sanding drum.

mst3k_moviesign_209.jpg

And some channel-edge to finish it off.  Good enough!  Back to more fun stuff!

mst3k_moviesign_210.jpg

The mobo's cooling fans integrated into the sinks are a little plain, so made them a Gizmonic product too!

mst3k_moviesign_211.jpg

Trying out a different HDD rack that I'll probably end up going with.  It looks nice and subtle, and it's short enough.

mst3k_moviesign_212.jpg

Moving on, I acquired a bag of 10mm LEDs.  Basically, I just needed one, but the price for a few more was basically the same, so why not, ya know?

mst3k_moviesign_213.jpg

mst3k_moviesign_214.jpg

LED will be a tight fit, but it's about tailor-made, with some additional work.

mst3k_moviesign_215.jpg

I took a sanding block to one to shave down the domed end so it's nice and flat.  I think it'll work just fine!

mst3k_moviesign_216.jpg

After my careful drill-out work on the eye, it should fit like a glove.

mst3k_moviesign_217.jpg

Some careful surgery, here...

mst3k_moviesign_218.jpg

Bingo!  Like a glove.

mst3k_moviesign_219.jpg

Let's do a quick test.

mst3k_moviesign_220.jpg

And she lights!

mst3k_moviesign_221.jpg

...But, she's still.....  limp. :jawdrop:

mst3k_moviesign_222.jpg

Let's make her a little more turgid!  

mst3k_moviesign_223.jpg

Pushing it in, one centimeter at a time.... :eeek:

mst3k_moviesign_224.jpg

After about 9 hours or something (or at least it felt like it), I have about 2 miles-worth (or at least it felt like it) of tubing ready to go.  Along with some wiring in it too. :)

mst3k_moviesign_225.jpg

...And buttoning her head back up.

mst3k_moviesign_226.jpg

She's alive!  

-------------

-------------
Thanks for watchin'!

EEL_ind_sig.png

I'm supposed to comment on your paste spackling skills too, right?

If only you could sculpt fins with the stuff.