Bass Instinct

U0PpyJ.jpg

Hey Monkey's I'm finally getting going on a new build. I had a false start on a Corsair 250 D But life got in the way and I'm not sure I'm man enough to do the things I want to do in a Mini ITX case. 

The Victim of my affection is a Lian li  PC-V359. This is a Micro ATX case, but I will be using a Mini ATX board so I will have a little extra room for cooling gear and I like the square proportions, compared to the Mini version of this case.

tf0HoL.jpg

The case I ordered was Black with black Pillars. The Case I got was Black with Red Pillars, I kinda liked that model too so I'm going to go with it. Funny in the Lian li literature the red is more of a fire engine red, but this anodized red is a much better tone of red - Sold.

8hy0es.jpg

One of the interesting things about this Case is that the top and all four sides slide in and out of the corner pillars to give easy access it opens up a myriad of options for modding. 

SYLkt9.jpg

maRMtZ.jpg

fcyeLx.jpg

I had a huge sheet of thick Deep Red Acrylic so the first thing i did was make a replacement top window. I know there are a million red and black builds out there, but that's because it looks good, I'll just have to find a way to keep it from being boring.

00tKD7.jpg

gwGx6T.jpg

8hy0es.jpg

MnpcTech sent me out a set of their beautiful case feet. These feet were made for this case and improved the look over the factory feet, which weren't bad. These may end up getting painted in the end, but I'll wait on that decision until I see how all the colors are blending. I tapped the Case so I could spin the feet on and off easier, but they come with hardware for easy mounting to anything.  Ok I admit it, I just like tapping threads whenever possible.

QZVlGn.jpg

UCQfRD.jpg

My love to thick material is a painful affair when you do your work with basic hand tools. I just like the depth the thick materials add to the look, But there is a price to be paid! I cut out my basic shapes with a Jig Saw and Dremel and then refine the shapes with files and sanding. Not the easiest way to do things, but My setup allows me to watch movies while I'm filling away. My Initial plan for the front was to stack Aluminum on top of the Red Acrylic with the Acrylic just sticking out a little further than the aluminum. 

DIuEWV.jpg

VLUukF.jpg

ld4LEJ.jpg

Ok planning is not one of my strong suits. What I hadn't anticipated was that my thick stack of materials took away the distinctive angles of the corner pillars sticking out further than the case front. The pillars really make the look of this case, so this wasn't going to work. At this point I am dropping the Acrylic layer and I beveled the edges of the Aluminum to match the angles of the pillars.  I had cut the Aluminum wider around the window and now that I removed the lower layer I will have to adapt it to match up better.  I started adding some bling to the Aluminum sheet.

NCzC8t.jpg

Aw7Mz8.jpg

JaAYbe.jpg

This is closer than the picture shows, but it was hard to align the camera up perfectly.

n06Od2.jpg

Jv2SYv.jpg

lCjDNU.jpg

Not bad considering the tools used to do this with. I really want a Scroll Saw, but I don't want to buy a cheap one that I'll end up hating. So until then I'll just keep doing what I do.

TnqVb8.jpg

I continue to refine this piece. I plan to put lite Acrylic on the inside of the case behind The ROG Logo and Mesh behind the volume bars.  I think this piece will be painted in the end.  Here is a size comparison between the Lian li case and a 250D.

hgsSoY.jpg

1PhvJa.jpg

I had originally bought 2 - 250 D cases, I build this straight build in a day, Most of that was hiding wires. I was going to Mod the second case and then transfer the kit, But life got in the way and I never pulled the trigger on the Mod. The New case is more inspiring to me and there aren't 500 of them that have already been Modded. Anyway It is so good to be back into a build, This one is just for the pleasure of Modding, No time limit, no pressure Thanks for checking out the build.

I thought this would be a discussion about fish intellect. 

-Have you thought about making the panels stick WAY out from the case, have them poke over the pillars at some point, touching matching side panels,and whatever? -Something to break up the vertical-ness of the pillars 'n stuff.:D

I ramble when I throw out ideas. I never know if they get across...

Having the cover panels the exact size of the visible panel is part of what's bothering you I think. Making them larger or even a little smaller changes the effect.

Agree Cheaps I going to do something different on the side panels in less than full coverage. I think by putting the glass on the inside of the front panel will solve my problem. I won't get the full outline effect, but that gets done so much, that might not be a bad thing. I want to play with lighting more on this than my previous builds. Thanks for the Idea, there always welcome.

Thank everyone, It's so good to be back into a build!!! 

ftxWdY.jpg

Ok Pop Quiz Hot Shot's There are a lot of well traveled people on this forum.

With out Google who can tell me what these are?  

What do they do?

No Googling, your Mom knows when your Googling.

And no Fan Blade didn't make them, He could have, but he was busy pushing someone into the guardrail in turn 3.

These are actually made in the Home Land - Germany 

E6hr9D.jpg

rU4HQ2.jpg

TiBDwl.jpg

9svrTs.jpg

There you go Chris, Their called Speaker spikes. I needed some better knobs for the top glass in this case and these fit the bill. I think they look pretty cool on this case.

NKpo4k.jpg

v1gAZu.jpg

6vCkrE.jpg

WTNuMV.jpg

Progress sweet progress. I finished up the front aluminum piece and wet sanded it to get the big scratches out. I could have taken a little more care when I made it, but that's the great thing about Aluminum you just sand until the scratches are gone. Did I mention I'm a glutton for punishment! Different modders have certain niches in their building, mine seems to be torturous days of filing and sanding. I have been playing with the idea of painting this plate with some high grade Automotive paint, But I'm still working out the color combinations as I go.

nQEhNK.jpg

I didn't really plan on replacing the front window, But after removing the Red Acrylic layer I had a miss alignment around the window. daayumn the Ghost of Sam still looks over me and this will never do. I have to say, the fact that all the panels are removable is a modders dream! It makes it so much easier just dealing with each piece individually. I highly recommend you don't buy this case! It's mine all mine!

osBS3F.jpg

CbMleH.jpg

PEodix.jpg

Like I said I had been planning on Painting the Aluminum piece, But I have to admit Deep inside I love shiny. I think I'll go with it for now and see how I like it as the build comes together.  I didn't have any clear Acrylic on hand so I am trying some Bronze I had. It actually looks better than I thought. I'll need to get the case fully lite to see for sure.

ARCjPz.jpg

You think I would have learned from the Metallica Build that it's hard to take night pictures of shiny stuff! Oh well we all have our cross to bare.  Thanks for the quick shipment of the mesh Bill, This is one of the places where I will use it. I have two other kinds of mesh, but not the round hole. Fortunately I know people who sell what I need :)  

WDv1yT.jpg

i80DTt.jpg

W7hqzz.jpg

qmGj0s.jpg

wJwAzf.jpg

I threw a couple light strings inside to see what it might look like. Apparently I'm going to need to throw it a little harder lol. I'll work on that!

ucVc8u.jpg

D8eOaz.jpg

Oce99n.jpg

w8ux67.jpg

That's it for now, more parts on the way from E.E.L's and company so they have to be good!