MetallicAcid

Re(de)fine (Air 240) by MetallicAcid

Re(de)fine Air 240

Sponsored by

SponsorbannerAir240_zps893495a3.png

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my latest project which I have named Re(de)fine.

This project is using the Corsair Carbide Air 240 which I will transform into a stylish and sleek performing machine, which will look to belong in the cockpit of a Maclaren Spider supercar.

This project should be nice and short as I am aiming to have it completed before DreamHack Winter 2014 in Jönköping - Sweden, which is on between the 27-30 November. For those of you who have not heard of Dreamhack, it is only the world's largest LAN party! :)

The mods that I will be performing

Fill in all front USB/power/reset holes at the front with plastic filler
Install a single monetary switch in the middle of this newly covered section
Repaint entire case white, inside and out.
File/sand away all of the plastic bars which cover the areas where the fans draw in fresh air
Cover these bare areas with a round style mesh
Paint components white to match the newly painted white interior
Have a single GPU solution where the GPU sits on a 45° angle making the front face visible through window
Install a custom water cooled loop
Install custom leather dressed panels

Concepts

untitled161_zps907bd527.jpg

untitled163_zps7269e7ce.jpg

untitled158_zpsa623a727.jpg

untitled156_zps1c0299ab.jpg

Components
TBA

Thank you for joining me once again on another project, and as always, see you at the next update! :)

Kind regards,
Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

Now you've done it, Turned the whole world on it's side. He he he That doesn't even look like the same case.

This is what happens when you take an Aussie and put him in Sweden, where it is technically upside down. Everything that is upside down for normal people is my right side up!

/J

Sponsored by

corsair_logo_zpscb51f5e0.png

Hey everyone!

I have a nice little update for you. I have been hard at work painting and clear coating these last few days, but have not had so much time to get so many photos. I am doing all of this at my workplace before/after work and during lunch breaks and whenever I get a free minute to spare.

In this update I show that I painted the inside of the case from black to white... And oh my does it look mighty fine! :D

DSC07990_zpsda28e77c.jpg

DSC07991_zps7747e469.jpg

DSC07993_zpsb8effdf7.jpg

DSC07994_zps1254e3b6.jpg

DSC07995_zpsd03e8aa6.jpg

DSC07996_zpsbfb4c937.jpg

DSC07998_zps3cf3c740.jpg

DSC07999_zps19bfd808.jpg

DSC08001_zps21fc646e.jpg

DSC08002_zps8dac785c.jpg

DSC08005_zps5aefe3fe.jpg

DSC08006_zps5bc43f54.jpg

DSC08007_zps3bf50532.jpg

DSC08009_zpsd7eec6b8.jpg

DSC08010_zpsf7b25e30.jpg

I am in the process of painting the fans and top/bottom panels, and clear coating the painted PSU and redone front panel. I will have photos of those after the weekend for your viewing pleasure.

I hope you have liked this update :) 

Kind regards,

This is what happens when you take an Aussie and put him in Sweden, where it is technically upside down. Everything that is upside down for normal people is my right side up!

/J

WOW I had no idea that you were Aussie, what part of STRAYA are you from?  :D

also is that a dent in the (australian) top panel that I can see?

WOW I had no idea that you were Aussie, what part of STRAYA are you from?  :D

also is that a dent in the (australian) top panel that I can see?

From a small town called Peak Hill in the Central West of NSW. Near Dubbo :) Then I moved to Liverpool, Sydney for a few years before meeting my wife and moving away to Sweden.

That indeed is a dent you see. Came like this from Corsair. The metal there is very thin and easily bent so I am not surprised there was one.

/J

Sponsored by

Update No.3

Hey guys!

Progress on this project has been steaming along at 12000m/s (in my opinion anyways ;) ) and the project is almost complete. I am going to play some catch up with the updates now, and they should be coming in every couple of days whenever I get some free time to sit down and type :)

So, I thought it would be a cool idea to dress the inside of the case with leather :) I was inspired by the Maclaren Spider, with it's sleek looks and awesome white/black/tan coloured leather details. So I went ahead and ordered the leather!

2125ad18c73e7ede557cfb1ecfc046fex_zps4e3

927cf10b5831c768f05940911192a93ax_zps3ee

c51c151e74ed18d38ad272f9dd589e53x_zpscc3

Once the leather came in, my daughter thought it was an awesome idea to run around on the leather when it was fully laid out in the kitchen. I had noticed that during delivery, the company that sent it had folded the leather so that it would fit into the box, thus leaving fold creases all of it! Seriously, what do people think sometimes?? 

DSC08062_zpse9e9ed7c.jpg

DSC08067_zpsc5237528.jpg

I hope you guys liked this taste portion of the awesomeness that is about to come. See you all at the next update!

Kind regards,

I've been looking forward to the next update on this build , its looking awesome! ... glad to hear that the next one will be coming sooner, cant wait to see whats next!  :D

I really like this case... layout wise... just not the plastic... way too much plastic.

Sounds exactly like my thinking..... If only lian li made cases with some of the awesome layouts that have come out in the last year or so, like this one

I've been looking forward to the next update on this build , its looking awesome! ... glad to hear that the next one will be coming sooner, cant wait to see whats next!  :D

Sounds exactly like my thinking..... If only lian li made cases with some of the awesome layouts that have come out in the last year or so, like this one

I really like this case... layout wise... just not the plastic... way too much plastic.

Thank you guys! I really enjoyed this case as it's layout was unique and had some good ideas. It is a shame though about the panels. They should be made from alu and powdercoated, so that you can have it resting on any surface in any orientation. 

On the other hand, there is nothing stopping anyone from making their own metal panels for this case. That would be cool :)

Next update coming today!

Kind regards,

Justin

Sponsored by

Update No.4

Backplate Construction

in Installation

Hello again and welcome to another of my crazy updates, using this fine little case called the Carbide Air 240 from Corsair.

Well, Once I got the leather in, I started experimenting with how I would use it in this project. I had the idea of creating some vanity plates in various places of the case to make it feel cozy, like the inside of the Maclaren Spider's cockpit. First I started off with making a cable cover for the backside.

To attach these two plates together, I made a plate which screws into both the top and bottom plates which features my logo. I cut the logo from vinyl using scissors ( as I do not have one of those fancy plotters... Maybe you guys can crowdfund me one? :) ) and stuck it on. Then I painted the plate and logo which gave this awesome embossed look which is only visible from certain angles. 

DSC08071_zps253b8d62.jpg

DSC08075_zps5f4f10ab.jpg

Once everything was cut, glued and fitted, I went ahead and installed it into the case. Here you can also see the painted PSU. more pictures of that coming soon ;)

DSC08076_zpsf9d9290d.jpg

DSC08078_zpse2e3b426.jpg

DSC08079_zpsa51afc91.jpg

There are some small wrinkles in the leather that I cannot get out, but I do not mind. It gives the case a "worn in" feel. 

That is it for me with this update. Please let me know what you think so far, and if you want any more details, you need but just ask :)

Kind regards,

Sponsored by

Update No.5

Custom paintjob for PSU

Continuation of custom leather panels

Hello and welcome again everybody!

I have a small update as I have had a few questions regarding which PSU I have used in this project. Well I am here to tell! :D

The PSU is a Corsair RM850w, painted with paint which is used for painting cars with the bran Multona, bought from Mekonomen online for instore. I used superwhite with colourc ode #0009, and finished off with 2 layers clear coat. This paint is durable, and looks great all glossy. 

The inside of the case, and all outside panels are repainted with the same coloured paint, as I am a perfectionist.

I would like to apologize for the lack of images of the PSU itself... I had very limited time to get the project finished before DH, so documenting the painting process was a low priority :( But I will spam with more images of the case with PSU installed, and a few other custom panels which I made for this beast PC.

Oh, did I mention that a GTX970 Strix from ASUS is going into this bad boy? No?! OK, well I will have some images of this, and some more sponsor announcements over the coming days!

Time for the photodump!

DSC08092_zpsfc118d2a.jpg

DSC08084_zps4c3de432.jpg

DSC08087_zps8053337a.jpg

DSC08089_zps5b4a08bc.jpg

DSC08090_zps7b94b022.jpg

DSC08093_zpsfe04905b.jpg

DSC08096_zpsffc46043.jpg

DSC08097_zps1bd6a4cc.jpg

So as usual everyone, please let me know on anything that I can improve on and I will take that on constructive criticism - making an even better build log for you all to enjoy :)

Kind regards,

Sponsored by

UPClogo_zps042bb5db.jpg

Update No.6

UPC sponsorship update

Hello guys and girls of modding!

This update is to announce UPC (Ultimate Personal Computer) as a sponsor of custom made and sleeved cable kit for my Corsair RM850 PSU. 

These cables were hand made by Adam Birli - who is the owner at UPC - using a combination of MDPC sleeving and his own sleeving named Aegis! These cables will go perfect with this build. I just love the look and feel of them and best of all, I don't need to sleeve!

Thanks UPC for the sponsorship.

DSC08109_zps59e3edf8.jpg

DSC08110_zps99843884.jpg

DSC08111_zpsd43af4d3.jpg

DSC08112_zpsb7c86e88.jpg

DSC08113_zpsf5725739.jpg

DSC08114_zpsf478b59c.jpg

DSC08115_zpsd114139b.jpg

DSC08116_zpsf892dfd3.jpg

DSC08117_zpsc5ed7db6.jpg

DSC08118_zpsa885199d.jpg

DSC08119_zpsc666c81a.jpg

DSC08120_zps6bd878ad.jpg

DSC08121_zpsb8e43127.jpg

DSC08123_zps66614429.jpg

DSC08125_zpscc12433a.jpg

DSC08126_zps90967a58.jpg

DSC08127_zpsb1396f6e.jpg

DSC08128_zps3b4a9f2b.jpg

DSC08129_zps4eec067e.jpg

DSC08130_zps2fae253a.jpg

DSC08131_zpsa797808b.jpg

DSC08134_zps8ca8d22b.jpg

DSC08136_zpsc74a7a19.jpg

So guys, thank you for reading, and I will have another update for you in just a few days!

Kind regards,