If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

23RO_UK

i5 4690K - Not only do we have a new member of the 3000+ Club but it appears the newest member is a 5GHz 4690K...

Recently I had an i5 4690K dumped in my lap, to clarify I had a client change spec on me so at the time my thoughts were great I’ve been stiffed with yet another unwanted CPU…

If you look around you’ll see the 4690K hasn’t had the best of reception from the tech media, if anything it’s kinda been left with the tag of the fat chick every stunner seems to come equipped with (the type that always says thank you in the morning).

Undeterred by this I decided to have a wee play and see what was what -

I set myself a goal of a 4.8GHz overclock, this was achieved with 1.302V

bAsgMj2.jpg

A nice respectable CPCBS score was also achieved  B)

Time for some some OCCT love

JstTmoR.jpg

Temps are good

IntelBurnTest

YTLswTG.jpg

Good timings

Some CINEBENCH R15.0

i6L6AiL.jpg

Not bad

And lastly some benches with my SC 780 for good measure

8VmjMu5.jpg

giLYhBE.jpg

bhwJd55.jpg

So in summing up...

I'll be keeping this one  :D

These were an odd bunch, like the 4770 K some of them were great and others were Dog's. Looks like you got luck too. I love your over clocking exploits Mate and I get to live vicariously thru you. I've dabbled a bit, but to be honest, since I don't know what I'm doing in that area, I'm a bit of a Puss when It comes to burning up my gear.  

These were an odd bunch, like the 4770 K some of them were great and others were Dog's. Looks like you got luck too. I love your over clocking exploits Mate and I get to live vicariously thru you. I've dabbled a bit, but to be honest, since I don't know what I'm doing in that area, I'm a bit of a Puss when It comes to burning up my gear.  

Agreed some CPU's are absolutely dire and will do the bare minimum rated spec, I've landed well and truly on my feet with this one however  :D

Overclocking is akin to tuning a car, a 4790K is a tuner - call it an Evo or Imprezza of the CPU world; the 4690K I prefer to view as a V8 - pure physical core power (no logical threads). It doesn't end there however, once you have it all purring along at the speeds you want you then have to stablise it.

I'm pleased to say I've now found my winning CPU, GPU and memory combo for my new build (call them cherry picked), this is how they perform -

ADNeVnE.jpg

JBmGXe1.jpg

KSzDBNp.jpg

jQuOs20.jpg

fxkPGEH.jpg

I'd say I'm pretty happy with it  ;)

You'll notice the comparisons in CINEBENCH R15 - Those were my previous best scores, what I now have is a day to day OC of 4.8GHz yielding a consistant 3000+ CPCBS score and who needs a 970 when you have a 780 that goes like that?

Ok, so not only do we have a new member of the 3000+ Club but it appears the newest member is a 5GHz 4690K  B)

bqiLdXG.jpg

Not only that but it's now broken my previous best score obtained with a 4790K  :o

It's amazing what 4 cores of pure grunt can do :D :D :D

Firstly Happy Christmas to you both  :)

In those Cinebench pics is that your top 10 or is it stats of stock speed runs?

Hey Grimm, the blue stats are all Maxon stats with hardware run at stock speeds, the brown is my previous best and the orange my current.

That is really impressive. It seems you have the magic touch when it comes to finding great silicon. My last great piece of silicon was a I5 3770K, that I dropped on the floor and broke :( .

Cheers Jesse, from one silicon head to another thank you bro  ;)

I've been asked by some how it is I have access to binned CPU's recently - the answer is simple, I don't (wishful thinking on my part I assure you) it's just the luck of the draw.

With reference to the 3770K, I truly feel for you there bud  :( Good CPU's don't come around often, I had a 4670K and that was truly abysmal, quite how that one scraped it's way through quality control beggared belief  :angry:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Chatbox
    There's a thing here. Somehow it moved to the top of the page, but I didn't do it. No, really! But still, Cheaps is likely to blame...
    You don't have permission to chat.