If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

HCP

Bitfenix Pandora quick weekend modding

Well, someone got to do it with the Pandora, so why not me ? smile.png

First part of this mod is a weekend mod, i need to free up my current workstation case for a project, so im putting it into the Pandora.

But, is it possible to just use a case without some modding? nooo smile.png

Later on, a part 2 of this project will be made with some more crazy stuff.

But, here we go for part 1 smile.png

The Pandora on the table, its the Black version with window.

pandora.jpg

After a couple of minutes, its naked!
Time for the work to begin

Radiator in the picture is only used for mockup, not used in a loop ;)

pandora-naked.jpg

When i was cutting and looking at this, it probably will be more than a weekend mod :P
Found more and more stuff i want to do!

Starting off with some templates to see how it may look.

pandora-paperfloor.jpg

And short after, the acrylic floor.
Time to think about holes and exits i need for cables, reservoar and front facing radiator.
Im not really pleased with the sharp edge on the floor, probably add some rounded edge to match the rounded front panel.

pandora-acrylicfloor.jpg

Forgot to mention the hardware

Intel 4690k on a Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI

2x8gb G-skill Ripjaws

240gb Samsung 840 SSD

AMD Radeon 7950 with waterblock

Laing DDC Waterpump

EK DDC-res-pump combo, 150mm

EK-CoolStream PE 240 radiator

Not sure what fans to use yet. Probably go with Corsair SP´s

I want to use hardlines, but not sure if it will be possible when all is in later. We´ll see about that :)

Next step was to remove the top buttons, i dont like them, too big for something i hardly will use.

I moved the power/reset to the back of the case with small push-buttons.

Made the top panel into a smooth panel instead, added a picture of the original panel also for comparison :)

pandora-roofpaneloriginal.jpg

Aaaand, what i wanted. Except for color...

pandora-roofpanel.jpg

I was stupid thinking i could be pleased with just one weekend of modding :P

This has escalated to something more, as usual...

I wanted to make some sort of floor to cover up the cables a bit, and somwhere to hide the pump and part of the reservoar.

BUT, using the the cutout in the window to display the SSD, why not put the reservoar and pumpc-bombo there, so, i got to work :)

I have a bunch of ITX motherboards, so i will go with that for this one. Maybe update later.

Made some smooth backing to cover the holes and whatnot inside the case.

Also has begun on the floor, due to width of the Pandora i had to cut out the PSU from the side.

Some have asked why sinking the pump and res? - because the watercooled GPU will hit, or get a awkward position if i do not sink it into the floor, or put it horizontal and my DDC pump doesnt like that (the manual say). And already have alot of pump-res combos, not keen on ordering new stuff so i go with what i have :)

Some pics...

A overview

pandora-floor2.jpg

The floor hiding everything below

pandora-floor.jpg

A quick rendering of the floor, just to get a feeling of what i´m aiming for.

Pump/res is not designed accurate, just the measurements ;)

pandora-floor3.jpg

Very nice. I like the idea for the pump mount

Thanks, yeah, wanted to make something different when i have the cutout in the window, everyone else put their SSD there. I´m not as other people :)

Just trying to think about a solution to run the hard lines trough the floor, if i should use some sort of fitting or just drill a hole...

What about drilling holes big enough for a rubber grommet around the tube, and just go through that way? No fitting, and a nice secure fit. Otherwise I'd say just a hole, and skip the extra bulk of the fittings, makes it look messier in my opinion.

My friend you are most definitely not like most other people!! I'm getting tired of the SSD thing myself. Unless your getting them sponsored most of them don't really look all that cool and these days even my Grand ma is rocking solid state.  With a little taller feet, you could just go out the bottom of the case and come back up where you wanted, if you could hide it? If you could find a cheap ram water block it could be mounted on the bottom and used as a fitting?  

Got some o-rings and stuff i´m going to test, thanks for the ideas :)

Pre-fitting the lower panels before making the last sanding of edges and see that it fits perfect.
Now comes the fun part... routing and bending the acrylic pipes :)

pandora-floor4.jpg

Something like this....

Time to hit the sander and prep the panels for paint, or wrap. Haven´t decided yet wich way to go.

I dont like the waterblock for the 7950, but its the only i have that fits in this case, Pandora is only 16cm total width.
I´ll have to look for a nice backplate, or make my own.

pandora-floor8.jpg

More problems.

Was planning on using the PrimoChill Ghost fitting, but that one on the GPU is too wide.

The side panel is 100% tight against the GPU block, and that fitting is 2-3mm more.

Ghost fitting that´s too big down right.

The two top ones is what i have to choose from.

Maybe incorporate a metallic red theme... hmm

Or... use Ghost fittings all over, except for GPU where i use the black ones? (top left)

pandora-fitting2.jpg

Here´s how it stands out.

pandora-fitting1.jpg

This is how it looks trough the panel, pump got pretty nice positioned :)

pandora-fitting3.jpg

I'd say match fittings everywhere, unless you'd have to buy more, then primochills and just the other ones on the GPU. At first I thought it was the same issue that heatkiller CPU blocks have (ports too close for ghost fittings), but then realized it's the case side panel issue not port spacing, that's a tight fit lol

The res location looks awesome

I have full setup of all fittings, i´m just a bit unsure of thoose push-in-fittings. Are theese really safe to use ?
Ghost fitting seems more safe, or just imagination :)

I tested the Ghost fitting with side panel on, it doesnt bulge, and its not visible that the fitting is head on with the side panel window.
That would be the best solution, i like the Ghost fittings.

pandora-fitting4.jpg

I like the ghost fittings too, but wish they weren't as large as they are. If they fit, that's what I'd go with too. The Alphacool HT fittings are just barely smaller, but don't look as good, in my opinion

Third day now, still stuck on how to route the acrylic tubing :P

Any suggestions ? :)

First routing idea.

Pretty straight forward, one of the pipes has 5 bends in it. Not sure if i´ll pull that off :)

pandora-pipes1.jpg

This one is more complex, where the inlet for the CPU goes BEHIND the GPU.

And the other one just trough the GPU and down.

Its really tight pulling anything in front of the GPU due to case width (only 160mm)

pandora-pipes2.jpg

What about a combination of the two? I like the CPU -> GPU -? Res/pump from the first one, and the Res/pump -> CPU on the second (behind GPU)

What about a combination of the two? I like the CPU -> GPU -? Res/pump from the first one, and the Res/pump -> CPU on the second (behind GPU)

Stung by the ModSquito, thats would really work better :)

Thanks!

Time to bend some pipes!

Mos - The master of Fittings, doing those reviews really helps get a side by side on these things.

I'm amazed that this case is that tight, It must be that those Aqua Computer port blocks stick out a wee bit more than most brands?

Mos - The master of Fittings, doing those reviews really helps get a side by side on these things.

I'm amazed that this case is that tight, It must be that those Aqua Computer port blocks stick out a wee bit more than most brands?

Yeah, i bought the Ghost fittings after looking on Curry Sauce & Mosquitos video :)

The Aqua Computer block is smaller than my EK Acetal block for 7950.

Had to stop try and buy after 2 blocks, got too expensive :)

Happy that the block is on the downside, i don´t like the look of it.

Received a backplate yesterday also, opened it... and it was for a 7970... darn

Think i keep it, and just make a custom one in acrylic instead, less time than wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement.

Bending testing goes well, the left one is done.

Doing some testing with the right one, trying to run it paralell with the other.

pandora-fitting5.jpg

Ran out of pipes, so i got stuck.

Yesterday i got a message that the delivery will take alteast 10 more days...

So, i did some testing...

And, i´m just stuck again, i like the copper in some way, and the acrylic in another.

Acrylic or copper ? :)

pandora-pipes3.jpg