noobas4urus

EKWB rolling out passive coolers for Gigabyte's X99 boards

EK's new cooling kit for Gigabyte's X99 series motherboards isn't revolutionary but it's something I haven't seen from the company before (more experienced custom coolers jump in here).  The kit consists of a pretty standard MOSFET water cooling block and a passive cooler for the southbridge (PCH).  Embracing EK's circle design that can be found on the rest of the company's wide array of blocks, the PCH cooler design opts to leave out a few of the circles for presumably more air circulation.

On a personal level, while I love the idea of custom heat sinks to match the rest of your blocks, I would have preferred a design with the material left in.  What do you guys think?

The kit, EK-FB KIT GA X99 LE, comes in at around $75 state side.  Full release at EKWB's website: http://www.ekwb.com/news/553/19/EK-introduces-hybrid-water-cooling-kit-for-GIGABYTE-X99-series-motherboards/

The_Mod_Zoo_EKFB-KIT-GA-X99-LE_NP_fill_1

The_Mod_Zoo_EKFB-KIT-GA-X99-LE_NP_fit_12

I'm not sure I understand the move from a business perspective.  I could see them getting into passive cooling as an 'affordable' option to their higher cost water cooling products, but this doesn't seem to be priced that way.  It's more like earrings for that expensive ball gown...

Whilst I've rediscovered love for EK recently - I'll have to say that looks decidedly odd at best and as cheap as a ten dollar hooker at worst...