alexciobanu

GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2)

HHqeKvy.jpg

Case: Modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene
CPU: Intel i7 3770K
GPU: nVidia GTX 970 SLI (still need to acquire)
RAM: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominator GTs 2133Mhz
SSD: undecided
HDD: undecided
PSU: Corsair AX860

Cables: Icemodz custom sleeved white and green cables

Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper Monsta 240mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 360mm
Fans: 7 x Gelid Wing Green
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X with Koolance casing and heatsink
Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Full Acrylic
Fittings: Primochill Rigid Ghost Green fittings, various Bitspower matte black extensions and angle fittings
Tubing: Primochill Rigid Clear
CPU Block: EK-Supremacy CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
GPU Block: 2 x EK-FC670 CSQ Nickel Acetal (reusing old blocks that will fit on some GTX 970 reference cards)
RAM Block: EK-RAM Monarch X4 CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
Motherboard Block: EK-MOSFET ASUS M5G Acetal
SLI Bridge: EK-FC Bridge CSQ Polished Dual Parallel
Coolant: Mayhems UV Emerald Green

Lighting: DarkSide UV LED strips

Other: nVidia Claw SLI Bridge, Aquaero 5LT USB fan controller

SPONSOR

y9W1WcM.jpg

Hey guys! My name is Alex, I'm from Gold Coast, Australia and I just joined the forum.

I would like to welcome you to my new build log and what will be my second mod project.

Hope you guys enjoy the project and pop by and say hi tongue1.gif

This build is more of an upgrade of my system in a Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 in which I will be keeping most of the components as well as adding new ones happy1.gif and a lot of modding work to the case and other bits :P

Here is the build before disassembly and before a pretty major event happened ...

zGMvmD2.jpg

dp1vHre.jpg

frLKo9p.jpg

Now back to the pretty major event that went down with the build. One Saturday morning a few weeks back now, while I was still enjoying my sleep my partner wakes me up telling me there is a burning smell coming from the system, me thinking she's just making fun of me as she sometimes does, I choose to ignore her :hehe: . However as she kept insisting and telling me that it's no joke I got up and went to the other room where the system was just to be greeted by this awful smell of burnt plastic and a couple of seconds later realising that the DDC pump had burned out.

The CPU was rocking 105C according to Real Temp but was still running fine. Not sure how long it's been like that, it was running the whole night as we stream movies to our bedroom from it and before I went to sleep it was fine. I immediately turned it off by just a normal shut down and there went my day as I decided to just dismantle the thing there and then.

The aftermath is shown in the following pics as I went ahead and took everything apart, cleaned it and installed the system on my desk to test everything. Fortunately everything was fine minus a burned out DDC pump biggrin3.gif. The little guy has been pumping my liquid pretty much 24 hours straight for the past two years and a bit and it decided it's had enough of the Queensland heat. Just when I was about to mount a heat sink on it along with the upgrade of the system happy1.gif.

And let's start straight with the dirty stuff

JyDKQOS.jpg

e4TGZVP.jpg

4Cz2cl1.jpg

As you can see the little guys burned out pretty good, I doubt I can salvage it with a new PCB from that DIYINHK site that still sell them

eknzOuZ.jpg

F7eRmOU.jpg

c5abSQw.jpg

If I'm guessing right the fluid must have been boiling around the CPU area that caused the tube to fog up as well as deform a little bit to the touch. My partner may have woken me up just in time to save it. Not sure if the system would have shut itself off after a while or if the acrylic tube would of just melted but I think I'm lucky nothing further happened.

IO7A2gr.jpg

eRGzm7J.jpg

n9Y2hwa.jpg

Here's the empty case and by the looks of things something funny happened to the label on that Corsair Force GT SSD.

cePWKYb.jpg

yjGRCM2.jpg

cKpCILd.jpg

VJK8Le8.jpg

And everything out on the table to be cleaned and inspected happy1.gif

You may also spot the new side panel that I have been working on the few days prior, finished it the night before.

Here's a better look at the side panel

OASuAiZ.jpg

The plan was to have more molecules but I managed to mess up the left side of it so decided to just make the window bigger. Still think it came out pretty good in the end, minus a few painting mess ups due to an unexpected storm that occurred as the paint was drying.

Dm48CEf.jpg

These are the molecule shapes I used as I am not good at drawing things

c4nD5mf.jpg

zA4DzY2.jpg

UVU7WeB.jpg

A better look at the finished side panel as well as the very last pic of the system running happy1.gif

The side panel was fully crafted by me using a Dremel rotary tool, a jig saw and lots of filing biggrin3.gif

I was also playing around with this new Aquaero 5LT controller the night before. Installed the optional heatsink but didn't get to test it out.

ipJEqH6.jpg

WI2jsGq.jpg

WEtFXaZ.jpg

AubIpbI.jpg

The modding begins !!!

First I cut a small hole in the floor which I will use as a drain from the bottom outlet of the Alphacool Monsta 240mm rad that will be going in the front of the case.

gixonGV.jpg

Did a cut on the MB tray as well. I will be making a shroud for the bottom so I cut the bottom right corner of the MB tray as to better help with cable management at the back.

hd8n8z0.jpg

ewTPRJP.jpg

I made a small mistake here and started cutting higher that I wanted to. However it doesn't make a difference as I will be putting some white acrylic around the MB that will cover everything.

0K6Mif5.jpg

g9xQZW1.jpg

y4m5iY2.jpg

Y4zzQ0k.jpg

I then got the case ready for painting biggrin3.gif

rEHENmT.jpg

Z1MVvHw.jpg

ilV83Ut.jpg

tKz8JNg.jpg

OWGxLkN.jpg

E6AlAIx.jpg

XJMebVj.jpg

2qA1LXY.jpg

MuMpxYr.jpg

LWVctAa.jpg

5qwT9de.jpg

pf0f1es.jpg

H07lShW.jpg

i4b8uCV.jpg

z4Uok80.jpg

xFjj1mK.jpg

In this last pic you can see how the brushed aluminum aspect of the front panel looks after painting.

Some parts will be going green while other will stay white.

The plan is to have the inside of the case white and the outside shell green like the side panel. Hopefully it will look good like I'm imagining it.

Here is the frame of the case assembled once the paint dried.

aapJQe2.jpg

fqTjfyn.jpg

AAodrbL.jpg

xS0fD5I.jpg

SwemlgV.jpg

n1xxTU4.jpg

That's it for now. Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

Kick ass job Alex!  everything executed nicely, including project log and photos!

Welcome to the Mod Zoo! 

I own Mnpctech, and we support the Mod Zoo and offer some really cool and interesting PC Case Mod & Modding Products & Supplies for Mod Gurus, here are some examples 

M3 Radiator "screw'd" color anodized screws, 

http://mnpctech.com/screws-anodized-m3-m4-30mm-35mm-40mm-red-blue-green-gold-ek-alphacool-hardwarelabs-corsair-xspc/pc-radiator-screws-anodized-socket-head-machine-red-blue-green-gold-black-silver-m3-m4-alphacool-ek-xspc-bix-hwlabs/pc-rad-screwz.html

m3_ek_alphacool_feser_radiator_screws_an

m3_ek_alphacool_feser_radiator_screws_an

Mnpctech just got these new alloy anodized vandal push button switches if you're interested in the Blue one possibly?

blue_anodized_bulgin_lamptron_mod_toy_va

They will be stocked here

http://mnpctech.com/pc-switch-plates/vandal-power-switch/

red_anodized_bulgin_lamptron_mod_toy_van

yellow_anodized_bulgin_lamptron_mod_toy_

green_anodized_bulgin_lamptron_mod_toy_v

black_anodized_bulgin_lamptron_mod_toy_v

Corsair h50 h55 h60 h80i h90 h100 6-32 screw set radiator replacement sets, http://mnpctech.com/screws-anodized-m3-m4-30mm-35mm-40mm-red-blue-green-gold-ek-alphacool-hardwarelabs-corsair-xspc/corsair-hydro-series-screw-sets-h100-h55-h50-h55-h90-h280-h80-fasteners-aio-cpu-cooler/corsair-hydro-series-fan-mounting-kit.html 

corsair_h50_h55_h60_h80i_h90_h100_6_32_s

ASUS ROG Billet machined aluminum Gaming PC Case badges, http://mnpctech.com/pc-case-badges-en/asus-rog-badges/

asus_rog_gaming_pc_computer_case_badge_g

Digital Winter Camo Vinyl Wrap sheets, http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-vinyl-wrap-graphics-modding-films-sticker/urban-winter-snow-digital-camouflage-pc-case-mod-car-motorcycle-vinyl-pc-case-mod-car-playstation-xbox-film-sheets.html

digi_nzxt_digital_snow_white_camo_camofl

digi_digital_snow_camo_camoflage_3M_viny

digi_digital_army_camo_camoflage_3M_viny

digi_digital_asus_blue_echelon_camo_camo

Welcome to the zoo.

It's scary how long a rig can run without a pump, isn't it? :ph34r: Keep an eye on the cpu block top for a while. If you see any micro cracks forming in the screw holes, it got too hot.

Kick feces generator job Alex!  everything executed nicely, including project log and photos!

Welcome to the Mod Zoo! 

Wow what a welcome to the forum, getting a reply from the mawd gawd himsealf. Thanks a lot for checking out my project log Bill. Glad to be here :D

Welcome to the zoo.

It's scary how long a rig can run without a pump, isn't it? :ph34r: Keep an eye on the cpu block top for a while. If you see any micro cracks forming in the screw holes, it got too hot.

Thanks, glad to be here :D . Yup pretty scary :P , luckily nothing else happened to the system. I will definitely be keeping an eye on the cpu block thought I'm gonna use a new evo block in this rig and keep the older one for a future system :)

XQJQ3aX.png

Hey guys. Here's a small update of what I've been working on for the front and top panel grills of the case :D

I previously painted them white, I then cut some molecule shapes out of white vinyl, though any colour could have worked. I then painted green over them and after drying I took off the vinyl stickers. Very simple do to and I'm very happy with the result.

NG2D6wl.jpg

ClAngVP.jpg

5kSZUcH.jpg

c4mK53d.jpg

KOHYC5F.jpg

gUXO9Vi.jpg

EioXw4o.jpg

qMTjsJD.jpg

D8akoYj.jpg

Cheers,

Alex

XQJQ3aX.png

Hey guys. I've been getting quite a few things done to the case in the past few days.

Firstly here's the case with the top and front panels finished. Pretty happy with the way they turned out.

V5xXokM.jpg

HhpqV1U.jpg

w9kMIYM.jpg

LxJgwFa.jpg

OLHPwC7.jpg

4tnyEcq.jpg

PxgW2qy.jpg

kxQMwbV.jpg

cJJkWlM.jpg

rbb4K8D.jpg

gUeIFgD.jpg

utPiD3n.jpg

u7Cq09v.jpg

TgZTlqH.jpg

loNF5xb.jpg

9VBgdb1.jpg

ygMQJRt.jpg

I ended up fully stripping both side panels, including the windowed one as I was not happy with the finish. I will be painting them in the next couple of days :)

PiUbbCy.jpg

I also did some work on the acrylic panels that will be covering up the inside of the case in some places. It is a nice glossy white acrylic so hopefully it will show some cool reflections once the build is complete.

Here's the front bit

VzLZ0Nr.jpg

bVAjJwM.jpg

This will be the shroud for the bottom of the case. Hiding the PSU and also I will mount the Aquaero to the inside of it.

PkbOHcf.jpg

Cut and ready for bending, though it was getting quite late that night so I haven't bent it yet. Finger crossed it will turn out good. It will be the first time I'm bending an acrylic panel.

d8zoSoA.jpg

This is the panel for the back

EXclGkX.jpg

Here it is cut and in place inside the case. The top right corner bit will be covered by the radiator and fans.

Eg6rz5G.jpg

I decided to make two small windows to show off the SSDs on the back of the motherboard tray.

BHu1idK.jpg

Haven't filled the cuts as again, it was getting quite late that night

xC5uTdj.jpg

Here it is on the case though

Y6w3fIN.jpg

That's all for now guys.

Stay tuned for the next update.

Cheers,

Alex

Scary pump situation you found yourself in. Hopefully everything's ok. Really enjoying this build log

Looks great dude! Lovin' the progress so far. Good thing nothing worse came of the pump failure, scary!

Thanks a lot mate :D. Yes very lucky :P

XQJQ3aX.png

Hey guys! Here's a small update on the build.

I bent the acrylic piece for the shroud. I think it came out pretty good for my first acrylic panel bend.

Firstly here's a look at the painted rads. You'll notice on the 240 Monsta I stuck some molecule vinyl shapes and painted over to have an even look. Didn't come out as I expected thought I still like the look of it.

OAP8Z5g.jpg

5w8jj2S.jpg

KO20O8Y.jpg

yARNMLo.jpg

Here is how I paint the rads. Cover up all the fins with some painters tape and use some long screws to give me something to grab on to and flip it over so that I can do both sides at once. Another option would be to hang them, though I don't have the space for that.

azAezZD.jpg

rhjXecL.jpg

HL68xVv.jpg

ZwGDkeH.jpg

Here's the case with the shroud in, although it's not secured yet, just sitting in place. Also the front rad is just sitting there so I can visualize the look of things.

lznmPva.jpg

Beh9IqD.jpg

I hope I won't have clearance issues with the EK-FC Bridge for the two GPU water blocks with the shroud. Might be pretty tight once the GPUs are in.

h2kJJzd.jpg

6FzyvFJ.jpg

avAqJiN.jpg

I might have something special going in the 5.25" bays. We'll have to wait and see

1ECW7mQ.jpg

A look from the back and underneath the shroud. Plenty of room for cable management and I hope that once the PSU is in place the Aquaero will have some room left in there

04clJ9M.jpg

x2aRpxk.jpg

Side panels are still not painted. It's been way to hot and humid here in Queensland to paint these past few days. I did clean them up and prepped them nicely so they are ready to paint on the next cool .. er day

L0vSQHB.jpg

vMxP5WV.jpg

A close look at the SSD windows

wRuNY6s.jpg

I think the windowed side panel will look sweet once the build is completed

FlWzp0k.jpg

ChYSaLY.jpg

That's about it. Now I need to get the motherboard in and take some measurements for the MB tray acrylic piece. Secure everything properly inside the case, get those side panels done and the case will be near completed.

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

nice work dude.

But   I think there is a mistake… overlooked.

the marked part should be slightly wider

if  there is no other reason for the narrow part...

NIVM4W.jpg

nice work dude.

But   I think there is a mistake… overlooked.

the marked part should be slightly wider

if  there is no other reason for the narrow part...

Thanks mate :D

Yea unfortunately that's how it had to be. I didn't plan to have it that narrow originally but as I said in the first post, I messed up the molecule shapes on that side of the panel so made the window area bigger. That's how much I had to cut in order to save the panel :P.

I have a possible fix for it once it's painted and have the acrylic window on :)

XQJQ3aX.png.

Hey guys. Here's a quick look at some of the components and water blocks.

EK Maximus V Gene water block painted white

4XvRcNV.jpg

XbqUWch.jpg

KMKcpRY.jpg

Polished EK Ram block with the Primochill rigid fittings that I will be using

WRlZIlc.jpg

BXMDVzp.jpg

PguOViA.jpg

RUYD4lj.jpg

A7Xdbgd.jpg

EK Supremacy EVO CPU block polished and painted white

bhIjOH5.jpg

2Z9SAJF.jpg

giuUKqS.jpg

05v13yd.jpg

Waterblock installed on the motherboard

yLozA3n.jpg

ZWS8StH.jpg

Removed the heat sink for painting

FyjYUOf.jpg

UMROeh2.jpg

c3NCagd.jpg

gVMh8sQ.jpg

Added some white vinyl to the side of the ram slot that will be seen. The ram will also get custom graphics

yHHEoMh.jpg

Batter look with all the waterblocks on

Mdkkp6R.jpg

You can also see I added some white vinyl on top of the sata connectors

fodND8N.jpg

White strip on the RAM though I don't like the look of it, as I said custom graphics for the RAM will be coming

kFFmhs6.jpg

d1zAirM.jpg

eSjYCqt.jpg

yP1WTfh.jpg

aHNichV.jpg

hOusrFz.jpg

4AQPaO9.jpg

2veXygm.jpg

JU1EyJt.jpg

8dsJnMM.jpg

Heat sink is back on the motherboard after painting. I will be making a custom plate for it with some nice ROG graphics to match the theme of the build.

NQdT3YO.jpg

6k3b9pB.jpg

iAqRTDR.jpg

uhu8dKD.jpg

That's pretty much it for now guys. Most of the red bits on the motherboard will be covered by components so they won't be seen and the build will still stick to the green and white theme.

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

XQJQ3aX.png

Hey guys,

Here are the Gelid Wing UV Green fans. 7 will be going in the build, 3 on the top 360 radiator in push and 4 on the front 240 radiator in push/pull. This is a quick look at the fans before painting along with the UV LED strips from DarkSide. Two of the fans have white LEDs, those will be going in the front of the case on the 240 rad and will be staying black, the rest of the fans will have the casing painted white.

Q7WTVsx.jpg

hWq9pKZ.jpg

IccML73.jpg

These are the two with white LEDs

KheLPs9.jpg

I have 9 of them but will only need 7 in the build

0hLVByd.jpg

pgdEW2I.jpg

PBexlOV.jpg

mv7rZGO.jpg

1QwHOAp.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Alex

XQJQ3aX.png

Hey guys,

I'm proud to announce SIMPLE MODZ, a new Facebook page that I have just launched!

XuxL19h.png

It is just a place for me to showcase my custom builds and interact with the community. There is not much there at the moment but I have quite a few nice projects upcoming this year and much more beyond that. If you enjoy my work, please have a look, pop by and say hi, maybe even like the page.

As for the build, not much has changed as for the moment I am waiting for a few things to arrive.

I do have part of the system in the case and it is running nicely on my desk. Air cooled for the moment. Also that GPU is in there temporarily, it's an ASUS 780 Poseidon Platinum. Really nice card but it would be too big for the build with the way I'm installing things with the 970 reference short pcb in mind, the Poseidon would be blocking the spot for the res.

JPfY8KY.jpg

lVIlpXn.jpg

Here is the top rad with the fans sleeved and mounted

UBsLDeX.jpg

h7BxAGs.jpg

7pIEMkv.jpg

LH93lPQ.jpg

ocUtsnP.jpg

EFZdbul.jpg

A better look at the shroud outside the case and also how I install the acrylic piece for the motherboard tray

ICwkty2.jpg

Fd2dDKN.jpg

AaXbfeS.jpg

P32B43e.jpg

That's it for now guys!

An exciting piece of equipment should be arriving this following week so stay tuned for that.

Cheers,

Alex

XQJQ3aX.png

Hey guys,

I am proud to announce Icemodz as a sponsor for the build! :D

I would like to thank them as they will kindly provide the custom sleeved cables :D

y9W1WcM.jpg

As for the current state of the build, both rads are now in the case and I have also modded a vandal switch for the power button on the front panel. That got rid of all the cable mess that was coming from the front panel connectors and it also looks really good in my opinion.

TzYkJqr.jpg

Those drilled holes are for something special going in the 5.25" bays

opQjuzE.jpg

Xy5iS1h.jpg

dcxlc9t.jpg

8ZdriIu.jpg

PJhUS6a.jpg

CRQJr3w.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

There is something refreshing about stripping back a case to the bones and coming up with ideas to suit our desire. Some nice work there keep it up.