If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

s7Design

COMPLETED [BUILD LOG] Raised from the dead

Hi guys,

have seen this forum and all the great mods on it and wanted to share my latest mod also here with you guys.

I've been doing the build now for 2 months and have a extensive build log with daily updated on the bellow link from another forum, ti would be just to much work to move it all here, also it has over 1000 pictures so hope you understand I'll start now updating also this site with daily updates from today onwards, but if you're interested in what happened till now, you are more then welcome to check out the

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

So this is how it started 6 months ago was a very exciting ride, id love for anybody who has not seen or read the thread to check it all out, i know its a long one but you wont regret it, as so many people have not smile.gif

but if your just to eager to want to see the final product bellow is the link to the final pictures, but I'd really urge you to read and check out the entire thread smile.gif

http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php/topic/2133-build-log-raised-from-the-dead/page-14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.overclock.net/t/1536880/build-log-raised-from-the-dead

Just to sum up the key features of the build

- unique case design, made up from 2 old cases

- unique case interior

- custom water cooling, made up from initially uncompilable parts :) and will use a array of 12mm tubing, 10mm tubing, custom acrylic water paths and 12mm hard tubing

- custom made acrylic CPU water block top

- custom painted GPU

- custom GPU LED acrylic back plate

- custom painted RAM

- custom painted fan controller

- custom painted fan's

- custom made power cables

- and a few more surprises  along the way :)

and a few pictures to get you started and interested in the build :)

ca1368a2_20150119_194127.jpeg

900x900px-LL-cbd42985_20150124_155232.jp

900x900px-LL-fe52544a_20150125_111530.jp

900x900px-LL-623517ac_20150131_094733.jp

900x900px-LL-7e9cf33b_20150202_193535.jp

900x900px-LL-106cd6ef_20150207_233556.jp

900x900px-LL-1376b67e_DSCN2810.jpeg

900x900px-LL-0c64d2d1_20150210_221016.jp

900x900px-LL-7e712dd6_20150213_230917.jp

900x900px-LL-2f77b8c1_DSCN2604.jpeg

900x900px-LL-1cd3b2ac_DSCN2614.jpeg

900x900px-LL-9f706fb3_DSCN2626.jpeg

900x900px-LL-c8cf9757_DSCN2666.jpeg

900x900px-LL-abe5633d_DSC_1200.jpeg

900x900px-LL-4b340c65_DSC_1206.jpeg

900x900px-LL-9c2b8ed5_20150317_225510.jp

900x900px-LL-4db7203f_DSC_1521.jpeg

900x900px-LL-54ced161_DSC_1527.jpeg

900x900px-LL-7f3b36fd_DSC_1528.jpeg

900x900px-LL-8411de6b_20150319_231818.jp

900x900px-LL-03f07bd9_20150319_232715.jp

DAILY UPDATE

Again 3 hours of tedious work melding with the bottom foamed PVC cover but at the end was pleased with the result that i got.

Cut out some ends to be able to fit the foamed PVC in the bottom, and now you can see all 3 foamed PVC sides, still need to glue the S7 logo onto the foamed PVC, now is only help up with sticky tape, that's why it crooked smile.gif

900x900px-LL-98ac22d7_20150324_223455.jp

900x900px-LL-26bcfa94_20150324_223522.jp

turned the case upside down and marked out the holes for the cables and for the fan controller, and here is where the fun begins smile.gif

900x900px-LL-d32428a8_20150324_223705.jp

900x900px-LL-3000496a_20150324_224500.jp

Took me good 2 hours to make the hole for the fan controller, wanted to make it so that the top of the controller will be in the same line as the bottom cover and wanted to have the straightest lines possible so cut of near the lines and then with a fine file, filed down all the foamed PVC to make the edges straight After a lot of filing was very pleased with the result that i got, the cut out is tight so it holds the controller in place. Today need to make the 2 cut outs for the GPU cables and the SATA cables for the mobo, also just to tidy up the 2 cuts i made already yesterday. And yes i put the fan controller upside down in the picture as it was already 01:30 and did not even notice then :)

900x900px-LL-6bd3c8e3_20150325_011129.jp

DAILY UPDATE

Today did the same work dirty work as yesterday, but got the bottom panel finished and have to say it dose look good smile.gif Especially when the fan controller is placed inside

Cut out the GPU power cable hole and a hole for the sata connectors
900x900px-LL-5af819f4_20150325_232617.jp

The fan controller looks perfect , just the way i imagined it would look like

900x900px-LL-1c23c428_20150326_000350.jp

900x900px-LL-c6ebb666_20150326_000758.jp

900x900px-LL-ca462fd7_20150326_000819.jp

900x900px-LL-bae4ce7d_20150326_000830.jp

next step will be to sort out the cable management and to sleeve the power cables, still thinking of a pattern to use, as im thinking of making a different patterns on the same cables, on pattern when the cable will be going down from the PSU into the bottom case, and then a different patter, when the cables come out out the bottom to the connectors. Have to think that out through, and after that besides the painting the interior will be done.

Nice work man, that fan controller looks sweet

Thanks Mosquito, yes the controller did come out very good looking, it looked like this, before i got my hands on it :)

900x900px-LL-1f692c30_DSCN2832.jpeg

900x900px-LL-518a4892_DSCN2839.jpeg

DAILY UPDATE

today spent my time at my PC thinking an planing out the sleeving pattern and how to make a LED spotlight case, for illuminating the big S7 logo

-Sleeving patern

Have decided on this pattern but it will involve me sleeving the came cable in 2 different colors, one color when going down from the PSU and then in a different color when it comes out of the bottom case and into the connector. This is because i want to have a symmetrical pattern all over the case where the cables will be visible. Cables will be mostly white with neon orange high lights.

The 24 pin and the 4 pin will come out the case and run in the grove along side the card mounts and then turn into the mobo once both clear the GPU. Will make some acrylic cable holders to they will end up looking nice and straight.

I'll sleeve any other cables in white so they will blend in, hope to get white mesh sleeving for the SATA cable, but think will have to by that over ebay as Slovenia dose not have such things to buy

900x900px-LL-706235e6_20150202_193528.jp

-LED spotlight

As i was already at my PC decided to do a quick sketchup model of the LED spotlight. Ill use a white 5mm LED pointed to the S7 logo on the front of the case. Ill paint the back of the logo in orange so the letter will pop out and be also illuminated in the end. And will power the LED with a cable direct to the PSU via molex connector . Will try to make the spotlight casing tomorrow out of 3mm white acrylic and super glue it tougher

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

Im not a stranger to Sketchup but just did not see a need to do any 3d models of this build as it was meant as a quick cut and prey mod, then i fell in love with it and went to some extreme details that i did not even consider doing, but they did not need 3d modeling, like painting the GPU and the RAM and the fan controller

I have already made a scale 3D model for my next project that i'll unveil when the time will be right :)

DAILY UPDATE

today have spent 2,5 hours looking at cables biggrin.gif not much work done just looking on how to realize my ideas for the cable management.

For starters had to untangle the 24 pin cable as some some cables got crossed over and for my design need them all straight and also taped 2 cables together. Taped up 2 cables vertically tougher to have a better idea where the top of the cables are and how they will then run down the case

LL.jpg

As the cable is soo long it kept tangling any way. I then tried to use a 24 pin cable comb or how that is called, to keep the cable in a nice line and then taped it off so i can test fit it in the case. These combs would be a nice solution to my cable managemnt problems but i only have 3 of them, would need 15-20 i guess to make this work as i want it.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

Test fitted first only the 24 in and then all the other cables as well, will be a really interesting procedure to make these cables look the way in imagined it. Ill have to make some brackets and mount at least 4 to the mobo tray to keep the cables in line and straight. I have some space behind the mobo tray to put a nut, so i can screw in the brackets in place.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

DAILY UPDATE

Yesterday i fell a sleep watching a movie and woke up just to move my self to the bedroom at 02:00, so in 2 and a half months that was the first day i missed going to work on the mod, and the late nights finally cough up with me, but no fear im back today biggrin.gif

trying to figure out the best way to make the cable management for the power cables going down from the PSU, and decided to make a test on a piece of wood before drilling holes in the mobo tray.

Measured up the actual length of the tray and the with what i wanted for the cables to take up
LL.jpg

and just quickly made some holes in the left over peaces of the foamed PVC i had laying around. For the final version im looking to get some metal brackets to hold the cables in place
LL.jpg

The 24 pin cable started out nicely but on the second bracket it started ti swerve a bit, but i still have 2 cables taped together and that is not allowing me to get the perfect line
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

Added the rest of the power cables, one 6 pin cable is from a old CPU and the cables are fairly bent out of shape, will see if ill redo them with new wire or will i leave them as they are.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

All in all im quite pleased with the test results. But after looking at the mobo tray and where the last bracked needs to be to get the desired effect, i come to a problem. I cut out the bottom portion of the mobo tray so i can access the back of the HDD's and with that i have no where to mount the lat bracket. I'll make a white acrylic back board that will go the height of the case and that will allow me to have some where to mount the last bracket to. And the whole pack plate ill glue or screw to the mobo tray to keep it fixed in place
LL.jpg

DAILY UPDATE

after a away day yesterday back to work on the build, tried making the LED spotlight case and measuring out the thickness of the sleeved cable for the design of the cable combs

-LED Spotlight

making something in sketchup and something in real life is totally different biggrin.gif Love working in sketchup as it a very simple and powerful tool, but now had to put my design into practice.

have to warn that this is not the final product, it's only a prototype smile.gif

started off by using 3mm white foamed PVC and made the side and the front piece
LL.jpg

Drilled the hole for the 5mm LED and super glued the sides to the front, I intended to have the spotlight turned in one direction and in the end i found that it had to be mounted upside down to my initial design to get the right angle of the light, so that is why the hole for the LED is now more on the top then it was supposed to be, should have turned it around so that its more to the bottom and then i may already got the angle right.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

looking now back and seeing my mistake this is then the bottom cover that had to have the edge sliced away to get to the correct angle, so that it would fit snug when mounted to the top foamed PVC cover
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

Added in the LED
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

sticky taped the spotlight to the top cover to see what came out of this, and where the light shines, as said before if i had just turned the front of the spotlight upside down and the hole was near to the bottom then the light would be spot on the logo, now is a bit high.

Also my concern is making this with straight lines, need to find a tool that i can use to make the cuts straight and neat. As what i have did not seem to work well for getting straight lines. Maybe ill need to get one of those small modeling saws or something like that.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

-Sleeving a cable

i quickly popped on a PCIE pin to a left over cable i had to see what thickens of cable + sleeving i will get so that korruptedkaos, can make the cable combs to the most exact dimensions and that the combs hold the cable firmly.

Also have to say that the crimp tool i bought at lutro0 customs is simply awesome it makes such a nice crimp on the cable.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

Yes it's a pretty handy tool. I got it because i ripped out 2 pins a year ago when i was sleeving cables for my main PC, and instead of buying just new cables decided do pay a bit more and get the crimp tool as you never know what can happen if i rip out another pin :) or decide to do my own custom wires.

I did search fro this tool in Slovenia but was not able to find it that would crimp the PCIE pins, and had no other choice  then to get it from lutro0 customs. The price is good and also he fine tuned them to give the best possible crimp.

DAILY UPDATE

After a week of rest, a few day of holidays and a couple of days of some real life issues, finally back to more important things in life biggrin.gif MODDDDDDING!!!! thumb.gif

Now will be going into the final stretch of the build, finishing up the insides and going on the exterior

-MAKING THE LED SPOTLIGHT

before i left last i made a test spotlight case and it came out looking OK, gave me a idea where i am and what needed to be tweaked, also was not sure what to use to make nice straight cuts with. And i remembered that i have the EKWB DIY hard tubing kit and that it came with a little saw, so that came in perfect for my needs here, to cut the foamed PVC.

This time made it a bit bigger i/o 1,5cmmade it 2x2 cm in the front and extended the sides by a few mm to get a better angle on the logo
LL.jpg

The saw worked very well and i super glued all the peaces tougether
LL.jpg

Here is the comparison from the prototype on the right to one that i made and will use on the left.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

Test fitted it into the case and when the wire will be coming from the top and the spotlight case glued to the top it will shine directly in the center.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

-Sanding the front inside panel for painting

Here is again the situation with a lot of work and time spent and almost no pictures to show for it

Sanded down some scratches from the most font of panel that had a rather big scratch all the way from the top right down to the middle, and on the very back panel had to smooth out the area where the S7 logo will be glued on to.
LL.jpg

Painted the S7 logo in white and the panel orange so it will nicely contrast the white logo.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

sweet idea with the lighting

Thanks Bill, i was thinking of making some sort of light to shine on the S7 logo, and a spotlight just seemed right :)

DAILY UPDATE

- Front panel painting results

very happy with the way that the paint job turned out, the orange really pops the white letters out, and once the light hits it from the top will be stealer biggrin.gif Just need to glue the S7 logo to the back.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

- Taking it from the TOP

while i wait my cable combs to arrive ill start work on the exterior of the case, I still dont have planed to do any major radical changes to the exterior of the case, some tweaks here and there my main goal was to make a unique interior with a unique water cooling loop.

So starting with the top of the case, the Top cover.

Its a interesting design by it self with the handle a intake for a 8cm fan and it two toned. Will keep the two tone color theme, but ill paint the darker color white and the lighter color orange. The On and the reset button will be painted Orange and the indicator LED's will be white but also painted white to stand out from the orange color of the plastic behind them.

Started taking apart the cover.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

As ill be putting a 8cm fan with LED's on top its only needed to put on some protection. Instead of putting on a regular fan grill, decided to take the old mesh trash can and cut out the needed dimension.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

After a few minutes ob bending and cutting got the peace looking and fitting in the handle nicely. Will spray the mesh in white to contrast again the orange paint on this part
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

Wanted to change out the LED's to clear white LED, but the ones i have are super bright, so i remembered that i bought some diffused white LED's but i did not like their look, they are just washed out white. So i decided to sand them down and paint them white so that they end up looking better and shining less.
LL.jpg

Also needed to extend all the cables by 20 cm so they reach the bottom of the mobo. Got a few of them done and run out of the small wire, will have to go tomorrow and rip our some cables in a old PC in the attic.
LL.jpg

Prepped the LED's, mesh and the buttons for painting, gave them all a coat of white primer. Only the buttons will be painted orange. Will see how the LED's took the paint, from past experiences they will need at least 2-3 coats to have a nice and even finish

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

The mesh is looking good already biggrin.gif
LL.jpg

DAILY UPDATE

First thing in the morning i could not resist then to go and see how the painted pats looked like, i was most eager to see the white mesh
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

-Making the fan hole

Douring the day did several 2 more coats on the LED's and one coat of orange on the ON/OFF button, forgot to paint the reset button at that time smile.gif So you can see now only the power button in its place
LL.jpg

Went on of making the hole in the top for the 8cm fan. Did buy a 86mm cutter but it's only rated for wood, but figured it will cut this thin metal. But sadly it did not, it only make s bit of a indent and then i just kept spinning and spinning.
LL.jpg

So Dremel cutter to the rescue, Just followed the grower and cut out the "circle". Not to worried that the hole is not that nicely cut out as it is the bottom and the plastic cover will nicely cover all this up. But will for sure buy a metal cutting circle saw( or what ever that is called correctly) for sure.
LL.jpg

Marked out and drilled the screw holes, in the end the right 2 will not be used as the plastic cover will cover them up, but the left 2 will do the job, in worst case i can put on some 2 sided sticky tape smile.gif
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

But now did take my time with the cut out on the plastic cover.

Firstly cut off the plastic with cca 5mm to the edge
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

And then took a small grind stone and grinded away the plastic all along the edges. The plastic melted away pretty easily so this went better then expected.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

drilled out the 2 holes for the screws and mounted the fan to the case
LL.jpg

of course i could not resit to put on the mesh and the rest on to see what came out of this
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

And the light show from the LED fan, if any one remembers from the beginning of the mod i swapped out the blue LED's that were in the fan with the white ones
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

-White LED's

After 3 coats of white pant the LED's look like this, when they are on there are some spots on them, they did not over equally, and also that may be the fault when i was sanding them down, so that the paint would stick to them, that the grind patterns were different and the light shines differently. But that is no mayor concern, turned off they look awesome tongue.gif
LL.jpg

Swapped them out and when i test fitted them one it seems it had to much paint and it got scratched down, but that is also no problem as the LED dose not come out that far out. The visible part still looks great.
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

-Preparing for painting

Cleaned up the desk, so i have space to set apart all the parts and sand them down for painting.
LL.jpg

On the painting schedule we have now the, top case covers, one 8cm fan and the elusive reset button smile.gif
LL.jpg

It got is orange war paint now
LL.jpg

Painted with primer the parts that will be orange, the fan and the other cover will do tomorrow
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

DAILY UPDATE

- Working on the front of the case

I have the idea to put mesh also on the front of the case, to cover up the 5,25 bay covers, and each cover would have 2 allen screws on it to hold the mesh in place. And on the top i would have a DVD ROM, and it also would need to get his Frankenstein screws in biggrin.gif

Took the old IDE DVD ROM and started the Frankenstein operation. Took of the front tray cover.
LL.jpg

Never really had the time ti open up a DVD ROM to have a look at the insides, so i did it now biggrin.gif
LL.jpg

Marked out the holes and drilled a 3,5mm hole.
LL.jpg

Then got a 4mm tap and tapped both holes
LL.jpg

LL.jpg

And Franky is borne !!! biggrin.gif :D :D
LL.jpg

This is the idea for the front, to cut out a piece of mesh ( this one is from the bottom of the radiator) to cover the 5,25 bays. With the screws holding the mesh in place. I got some sealant or putty or what ever its called so i'll cover up the floppy drive hole with it. Also will ahve to do something withthe TRON logo as that one is actually a plastic piece sticking out. Still thinking about the color scheme what to paint white and what orange.

LL.jpg

- Preparing parts for painting

Sanded the rest of the parts that i could not do from yesterday and prepped them for painting

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

-Painted Pieces

just simply can not wait till tomorrow till the parts dry, so i can see them all together

Will do 2 coats on the top orange part and 2 coats on the big white piece, but its already looking good to me biggrin.gif

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg

LL.jpg