Freebee

BIG-er Lian Li, the quest for "MOARAD!", stage 1

19291106141_0069580bce_z.jpg

so... here starts another one of my worklogs :)

this will be first stage of the build (out of two or three), and will predominantly consist of the reconstruction of the case and getting the loop into a functional state....

I was planning on waiting a little while longer before starting this project, but have recently acquired a lot of slightly better hardware, and have a bit of free time on my hands for now, so I thought id get the first stage under-way...

now for the explanation behind the name of this project:

1) it is to replace my smaller lian li PC-A10, as that case is just not big enough to take a 480 rad....

2) Lowfat's "BIG LIAN LI" is a very similar project with one of these lian li monster towers, gutting it and completely rebuilding the internals, there will also be a number of similarities to his build which you may notice along the way... but im also going to be learning from his mistakes.. (there are a few if you analyse it like a modder, eg. the side panels don't fit properly due to the rear cover plate being exterior)

having just said all that....it should be noted, however, that there will be no direct copping of any part of Lowfat's lian li build, and this will all be original design work on my part...

and finally onto the victim, A Lian Li A71f, which I settled on after looking into the v2110 and realising that the a70 series cases were much more friendly to extensive interior changes and would allow for greater flexibility, then proceded to try and track one down...

this particular A71f, was previously owned by another modder (wishes to remain anonymous), who had extensively modified the internals  and had them laid out like an FT02 with 4x360mm rads, was shipped to me in flat-pack form... (still need a few minor bits but I have all the main parts that I need to start work already)

the front and top:

19100886859_410cd441a7_z.jpg

the sides:

19286988675_819d8790d2_z.jpg

(basically scratch free... the marks are fingerprints, tape residue and the likes, that I haven't cleaned off yet)

the back (with large removed sections) and inner front panel

19286980805_cbde7562bc_z.jpg

the motherboard tray and I/O sheid/slots supplied, not the original, but likely better, as I always wanted an 8 slot atx tray...

19099403988_d925015d27_z.jpg

and removed from the back panel of the case it was from (nb. same lian li I/O panel as lowfat's build)

18664473814_d9bd856aa1_z.jpg

and now for where the fun begins... 

19280946192_0b45a403da_z.jpg

the bottom panel had had the middle cut out by the previous owner as part of his layout... and for shipping it was cut at the front and back.... which means that I need to rejoin the lot with reasonably high precision..

18666357273_1b74dc9ca0_z.jpg

but it all still looks almost as it should when put together, which is a good thing

19260842926_906975dd4e_z.jpg

now some progress as required by some forums: (outdoor photography because the light is better and why not... :D)

19286889665_5cfc255913_z.jpg

19290799921_7b90b9ba84_z.jpg

19290776571_f90a3ff934_z.jpg

but that will be it, as im wanting to save some secrets for future updates....

Looks like another sweet project!

thanks bill, only hope it turns out nearly as good as the case in my mind....

so this is a quick update to give you all a slightly better idea of where this is going... :D

first the replacement/cover panels including front/back(they are identical panel sizes), bottom, top, top drop-in rad mounting plate and the midplate....

18697153663_9645f6d8fc_z.jpg

measured all these up a little while back and recently cut them from 1.6mm brushed aluminium on the sheet metal shear at school then used the bender to get nice looking bends on the sides of the top panel and midplate... B)

18697139803_5f02fb80de_z.jpg

(the marks/scuffs/scratches can be easily sanded out)

drilled and filed to fit the original front and back panels, and the front one sanded to remove scratches and oxidisation

19317712245_fc430533dc_z.jpg

close up on the surface finish... tempting to just tidy up the brushing on all of them and then clear coat them

19291642296_411e6a095b_z.jpg

and fitted

19317686145_490a986205_z.jpg

19131543439_74861642a7_z.jpg

finally the second rad for the project arrived today :), so i thought id show the two of them... the one on the left is an xspc ex480 and the one on the right is a HL sr1 480mm... and yes they will be painted to match, yes they are 2nd hand

19317659945_fd027c443f_z.jpg

(I know these are rubbish photos, but cant get decent light till the sun comes up tomorrow)

19131518629_0f074278fc_z.jpg

hope you enjoyed reading it and I look forward to hearing from you!!!

He, just today I decided to catch up on what the monkeys have been up to, read the

last entry on your other Lian-Li log and then see that you have a new one up. Almost

like it's just for me. :D

He, just today I decided to catch up on what the monkeys have been up to, read the

last entry on your other Lian-Li log and then see that you have a new one up. Almost

like it's just for me. :D

thats crazy... :lol:

also this one will actually get some sleeving (and hopefully lacing) at some point... just don't know if it'll be stage 1 or 2 of the build... depends on time and budget...

and if your interested, the one you would've missed was the super lanboy build I did for the CM case mod comp... 

fiinally.... in your HELIOS build, I noticed that you were considering using nylon screws on the rad's... how strong are they, and would you consider them suitable for supporting the radiator or just for fans?

also this one will actually get some sleeving (and hopefully lacing) at some point... just don't know if it'll be stage 1 or 2 of the build... depends on time and budget...

Ah yes, time and budget, those magical words. :D

and if your interested, the one you would've missed was the super lanboy build I did for the CM case mod comp...

Great, will check it out, thanks!

fiinally.... in your HELIOS build, I noticed that you were considering using nylon screws on the rad's... how strong are they, and would you consider them suitable for supporting the radiator or just for fans?

Since Nylon is pretty soft you need to be a bit careful not to pull out the

threads when you tighten them. But tensile strength is pretty good, they should

be able to hold a radiator and fans without much difficulty I think.

Ah yes, time and budget, those magical words. :D

are there any more magical words in relation to mod projects?

Since Nylon is pretty soft you need to be a bit careful not to pull out the

threads when you tighten them. But tensile strength is pretty good, they should

be able to hold a radiator and fans without much difficulty I think.

ok, sweet, I will have to consider it when im choosing radiator screws... gonna tap out the ex480 to m4 and standardise on it in this build, just have to decide on what type of m4 screws to use... eg: steel, SS, nylon, buttonhead, countersunk, philips, flathead, allen/hex etc.

are there any more magical words in relation to mod projects?

"Honey, can I buy this new thingy? Pleasy? Pretty please? I promise it will be the last one!" :D

Or at least so I've been told by those who have a better half.

ok, sweet, I will have to consider it when im choosing radiator screws... gonna tap out the ex480 to m4 and standardise on it in this build, just have to decide on what type of m4 screws to use... eg: steel, SS, nylon, buttonhead, countersunk, philips, flathead, allen/hex etc.

He, have fun with that. thumb.gif

in this one the case finally starts to take shape... 

so about a week ago I got to this point, and was making rapid progress towards having it all in one piece....

19366040370_85e3cd7871_z.jpg

but then ran into this issue... :( (inner top panel was too long - and thereby the bottom panel was too long as they were made to the same measurements)

19527843756_8fa56b6687_z.jpg

which was odd enough considering I was pretty sure everything was measured correctly, measured thrice and no, it wasn't a measurement/cutting accuracy issue as everything measured in as it should be.. turned out to be a tolerance issue, hadn't accounted for the gap between panels sandwiched together and other imperfections... had to disassemble, trim and re-align everything for the top and bottom panels

and here it is as it stands today, a week later..... about 0.5-1mm shorter (less deep) with the sides of the bottom panel properly attached

18933048733_487a81a833_z.jpg

meaning that the test-fit's can continue :D

18933032103_efc039e769_z.jpg

(midplate not fixed in place, but sitting at correct height)

19527796686_4b822c402c_z.jpg

19558172351_7891f35792_z.jpg

the next steps are to fit the midplate & mobo tray, then mark & cut all the necessary holes in panels...

anyway, that's the end of this one, hope you enjoyed reading, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Ahhh to re engineer something that was machine made to accomodate for our mods. Just have to love cutting up old or new cases. Keep it up. Modon. Freebee.

Ahhh to re engineer something that was machine made to accomodate for our mods. Just have to love cutting up old or new cases. Keep it up. Modon. Freebee.

isn't it just pure fun  :P, and will do, its gone untouched for the last week or so due to being busy... but i'll try and get to it in the next few days....  should at least tap out the xspc rad to m4 and get some m4 x 30mm screws for the rads

one thing that has made progress so far is the component's... ive now managed to source nearly all the required fittings, so all I still need its the fillport/through-panel fittings

also been thinking about main compartment airflow, and how im going to get enough intake... food for thought

hopefully will have the next update out soon, but then again.. there's a reason why this is a multi-stage, long-term project

Just wanting to let everyone know what's going on.. Currently in the middle of an exam block and have been a but busy with the stu-dying in the lead up and therefore unable to make much progress... However I should have a fair bit of time next week and am hoping to get some work done and post an update