Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spiggotine

GPU + CPU in parallel?

I've seen builds that have done this, but I'm not sure how viable an option it is when it comes to temperatures. The CPU block will have significantly less resistance compared to the GPU blocks, and that is going to impact the efficiency of the loop and the temperatures of the graphics cards, especially since you're planning to do parallel the entire way. In general that kind of setup is not recommended for any kind of strenuous use, and I've only really seen it done on show builds -- computers that will just be show pieces and not actually used.

This is something that Jesse and I were actually toying around with the idea of testing out...

I want to do more extensive testing around parallel vs serial with just GPUs as well, and also test the scenario you mentioned as well. Curious to see what kind of flow rates we'd get to each component (obviously what brand/model of blocks would make a difference but still curious)

Yeah, I was pondering the issue with flow against different block resistances and it then seemed intuitive to put the most restrictive flow passage first, then the next most restrictive and so on until the one with least restriction which then ends up last in the chain.

That's for the inflow chain tho, but how this applies to the outflow I don't find as intuitive. The restriction/flow situation will be totally reversed as the passage with least restriction will end up being first in the outflow chain. See new flow chart below

http://ibin.co/29zvVvzbXq8R

Being a plumber and seeing water do things that you wouldn't expect in like, circulating systems, parallel scares me a bit.  I know it should work fine, but whenever we run multiple hot water re-circulation routes, we have to valve and adjust them till everything plays nice, and really should have flow regulators so one line doesn't pull extra.  And that's just so Joe Schmoe can have hot water when he turns on a faucet.  I'd be afraid of one of the GPU's hogging the circulation in a parallel GPU setup, maybe due to a small flaw in milling, or debris, or whatever, and running the other GPU hot.  Or worst case, burning one up.  It'd be even complicated with the CPU thrown into the mix.  Granted, your pump should have enough flow to make sure you're pushing through it all, but how do you check or monitor that?  At least in series, if it's flowing, you know it's running through everything.  

If I built a parallel loop with a processor included I would run my line from the pump to the bottom port of the GPU's then up to the CPU and back down through a bottom port in the GPU's.  Then I would go out from the GPU set to the top radiator to the front and back to the res.

If it works out right your only splitting your flow once and your saving yourself fittings to split the flow in the first place.

I ran it on the beast for a while and then I went back to serial after a pump failure. Temperature was similar (Australian summer had it at about 8 degrees above ambient in either series or parallel) regardless of either set up. I could not see how it would circulate as it should due to the vortex that could format if the CPU block was more restrictive, though for six weeks, 24x7 running it never faltered. 

Saved on caps, paid for it with fittings! 

Ads. 

IMG_20170712_081836.jpg

Cool man, sweet that it actually works well.  I'd still love to do some testing around the flow rates involved.  Thanks for sharing!