Sign in to follow this  
doesntevenMATer

Fractal Design Define R5 Project

My Fractal Design Define R5 case mod.

n00b's first complete water cooling build.

(Short back story)

So I had every intention of spending my weekend putting together a build log showing progress made on my first water cooled and modded computer build.
...BUT...
Last night I completed the water cooling loop and the system started up with no problem. I was super nervous water would just start gushing everywhere, but the system didn't have any leaks and booted without any issues What's the first thing you do after water cooling your PC? OVERCLOCK! I figured I'd play it safe, since its only a Z97-AR, and used Asus' automatic overclocking utility in the Ai Suite. The system reboots a couple times, which is expected. On the third reboot my computer did not come back on. I instantly had a bad feeling about this, like it was more than just a little Windows 10 quirk. When I tried to turn on my PC again it posted fine, gave me the DEL or F12 to BIOS option (which did not work), and afterwards I got a message saying "Data in the EC or EC cash may be corrupt". WHAT THE HECK?! I checked all of the usual things. I did the routine CMOS jumper, battery, power supply, change ram, unplug non-essentials, blah, blah blah. Nothing has worked. So I got the pleasure of wasting all of my previous work and taking apart my nearly finished system so I can try to fix the motherboard. Waiting for a reply from Asus as to what I should do. I'm hoping they will have an easy fix or will be able to replace my board.

I was/am so upset about the situation that I figured posting something will make me feel like I've actually accomplished something. So here are the exterior shots of my case.

The design is rather simple. 3 blow holes with MnPCtech overkill fan grills and the MnPCtech machined side panel. Eventually there will be a digital thermometer display behind the front cover that can be seen through the middle fan grill. Other than that I don't plan on doing much more to the exterior. My aesthetic tends to be rather simple and clean as opposed to the flash computers that will turn heads and I'm OK with that.

The rest of the build will come soon. I'm sure it will be right after I get tired of waiting and go to Microcenter for a new motherboard. 

------

21200648949_5348698407_b.jpg

21199460410_653453f83c_b.jpg

21199460310_ac0ea047bc_b.jpg

21387578655_5138a935b5_b.jpg

21200649659_116b4c26e6_b.jpg

21199705148_6c3eaa84af_b.jpg

20764865524_791293defe_b.jpg

21199459850_94054211ea_b.jpg