Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spotswood

Case frame kits for scratch builders?

I've been working on this idea of offering a case frame kit for scratch case builders.  A kit would consist of slotted anodized aluminum extrusions pre-cut to length, tapped and milled (to allow inserting nuts post-assembly), and will ship with all of the necessary fasteners, nuts, 90-degree angle braces, etc., along with some extra pieces of extrusion.

Options would include a backplate (for a CaseLabs 8-slot IO cage) and a PSU mounting plate.  Eventually, additional "modules" (of various sizes) would be offered that would attach to the original case offering the ability to "grow" a case in all possible dimensions (the holy grail for PC cases - full external modularity).  Understanding that some builders won't need all of that modularity, a version consisting of just one module would also be offered:

Spotswood%20CL%20IO%208%20slot%20rear%20

Any and all thoughts/criticisms/questions would be greatly appreciated.

A motherboard tray would be critical. That area intimidates a lot of new builders.

This x1(with a lot of zeros)

When I first got into modding the only thing stopping me from doing a scratch build was the motherboard tray and mounting holes for the power supply.

This x1(with a lot of zeros)

When I first got into modding the only thing stopping me from doing a scratch build was the motherboard tray and mounting holes for the power supply.

The horizontal flat bars drawn in the model above, support the standoffs, just like i did for this 5-slot case I built:

5slotSidewMBSupports-640.jpg

EDIT:  Various backplates would be offered: 120mm fan hole, 140mm and PSU over the CPU socket.

Spotswood%20CL%20IO%208%20slot%20rear%20

Your ideas are intriguing to me.  Hit me up at Jason@Caselabs.net   Can't guarantee anything, of course, but maybe there's a chance.

Did I mention that these will be completely modular?  Here are examples of what you could build with just a "motherboard" and "psu" module(s), in all orientations and popular configurations.

Standard ATX:

Base%20ATX%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).jpg

Reverse ATX:

Base%20Reverse%20ATX%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).

Horizontal:

Base%20Horizontal%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).jpg

Vertical:

Base%20Vertical%20w%20PSU%20(Copy).jpg

PSU modules can also house radiators (and those can be made in various heights and lengths) to enlarge all of the above ad nauseum.