banner_by_tkrep-dausog4.jpg

THEME

• Pretty simple, favorite sports team coming off of a championship year (http://www.Esks.com). 

CONCEPT

• Always wanted to do a scratch build. 
  • Custom "wind tunnel" design allows air to enter through the back platform, push through the PC and past the radiator on top. 
  • Built to support up to two 360mm radiators.  Water-cooled, dual GPU design. 
  • 3D-printed supports with aluminum bar and acrylic sides.  Intended to be dead-simple and repeatable.

SPECS

• Details TBD

Twitter:  @Krepadoodle  ||  Project Hash Tag:  #ESKIMOD2 

theme_by_tkrep-d9tezp2.png

framework_by_tkrep-d9tezot.png

exploded_by_tkrep-d9tezoj.png

backside_by_tkrep-d9tezo9.png

Initial test print worked out pretty well.  Just used a simple 10% infill for now.  Bar slipped right into place.  Will add screw holes for final print.

test_print_001_by_tkrep-d9tf0rg.png

Overall the test print went fairly well. 

testprint001_by_tkrep-d9ul45r.jpg

testprint002_by_tkrep-d9ul45t.jpg

One issue that did crop up (if you can spot the little black arrows) is an adhesion issue.  At some point after the print started the edges lifted and caused some curling.  I'm hopeful though that a higher infill and better skirt on the print will resolve that problem.

testprint003_by_tkrep-d9ul45x.jpg

And this is just another fun fact of 3D printing is you can get bridge material where it's kinda hard to remove.  In this case due to the design it's down behind the post for the aluminum tubing.  That will take some time to get out.

testprint004_by_tkrep-d9ul461.jpg

Overall not bad.  Should allow me to test fit the bars and frame and get a sense of size of the project.

Despite some printer challenges I've been able to start some test fitting this weekend.

testfitting001_by_tkrep-d9uybog.jpg 

As well as some model revisions and re-prints here:

reprints001_by_tkrep-d9uybw7.jpg

Test print completed successfully - yay!  Now to pick up some more square tubing.

testfitting002_by_tkrep-d9v2k64.jpg

8 hours ago, Bill Owen said:

Brilliant idea for mounting the squared tubes.

Thanks!  Hopefully it all comes together as expected.

More supplies acquired!  Now that the test prints seem solid I should be able to print the other side and build out the frame.  

supplies001_by_tkrep-d9v5i1r.jpg

Still waiting on final PLA shipment in green to come in.  Honestly I think because I didn't pay for expedited delivery Amazon just sat on the order for two weeks and will give me 2 day delivery anyways, just later.

amazon001_by_tkrep-d9v5itq.jpg

So simple and yet so effective.  They say triangles make things stronger, so I designed up brace.

modelling001_by_tkrep-d9v5i1k.jpg

Quick test print and is working great.

testfitting003_by_tkrep-d9v5i1y.jpg

Aha!  Filament shipment has finally arrived.

plashipment001_by_tkrep-d9vdw81.jpg

And not wasting any time.  Straight to the printer.

plashipment002_by_tkrep-d9vdw86.jpg

I'm guessing about 40 to 50 hours worth of printing to do for the frame.  2.5 hours done already.

plashipment003_by_tkrep-d9vdw8k.jpg

And a bonus shot of the new frame in front of the lit-up Downtown mod.

funky001_by_tkrep-d9vdw8v.jpg

Yeah, it's not a high-end printer by any means.  More than likely it was just meant for printing baubles.  After this project I may end up looking for one with a bit higher resolution and better speed.

Yeah, it's not a high-end printer by any means.  More than likely it was just meant for printing baubles.  After this project I may end up looking for one with a bit higher resolution and better speed.

You could always mod your 3D printer for speed and resolution. There's a lot of people that have spent a lot of time making that print platform better. After years of chasing higher resolutions I found that a 1mm nozzle works better for large or long prints. Very rarely do I need high resolution anymore for case modding. It's neat to see someone else using their printer for case modding/building.

1 hour ago, Envious Mods said:

You could always mod your 3D printer for speed and resolution. There's a lot of people that have spent a lot of time making that print platform better. After years of chasing higher resolutions I found that a 1mm nozzle works better for large or long prints. Very rarely do I need high resolution anymore for case modding. It's neat to see someone else using their printer for case modding/building.

Yeah, I may tackle improving it after the case mod is done up.  Don't want to risk any more downtime than I've already had - lol.

This is actually the 3rd mod I've used it on now.  Works WAY better than my hand crafting skillz.  I've been peeking at your mod as well.  I like what you've been doing there.

Yeah, I may tackle improving it after the case mod is done up.  Don't want to risk any more downtime than I've already had - lol.

This is actually the 3rd mod I've used it on now.  Works WAY better than my hand crafting skillz.  I've been peeking at your mod as well.  I like what you've been doing there.

I completely agree. I wouldn't tackle an printer upgrade during a build either. This will be my 3rd one using printed parts as well. I like being able to mix a bunch of different materials together so a printer is perfect.

I'm glad to hear that your checking out my build. There's a lot of stiff competition in CMs Case Mod World Series. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Envious Mods said:

I completely agree. I wouldn't tackle an printer upgrade during a build either. This will be my 3rd one using printed parts as well. I like being able to mix a bunch of different materials together so a printer is perfect.

I'm glad to hear that your checking out my build. There's a lot of stiff competition in CMs Case Mod World Series. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about the competition.  Like most forms or art it will be subject to the tastes of the people judging it.  Plus there's lots of people doing some brilliant stuff out there.  I figured the timing is right so I may as well get some exposure.  Who knows, somebody may dig what I'm doing.

Progress continues.  Drilled a screw hole through the square tubing.

screwit001_by_tkrep-d9vsn1t.jpg

I haven't modeled any screw holes in the actual print itself.  The nice thing about PLA is it melts at a reasonably low temperature.  So I heat up a rod...

screwit002_by_tkrep-d9vsn21.jpg

And plunge it down into the plastic.

screwit003_by_tkrep-d9vsn2b.jpg

Then get a screw nice and toasty.

screwit004_by_tkrep-d9vsn2h.jpg

And into the tubing it goes.

screwit005_by_tkrep-d9vsn2p.jpg

Tighten it down.

screwit006_by_tkrep-d9vsn2x.jpg

And once everything cools we have a nice tight fit as the plastic melts to the screw.

screwit007_by_tkrep-d9vsn37.jpg

So far only one screw and the frame is nice and solid.

screwit008_by_tkrep-d9vsn39.jpg

Just waiting on the top to finish printing and we should have one side of the frame ready to go!

screwit009_by_tkrep-d9vsn3l.jpg

1 hour ago, Cheapskate said:

That sucker is never coming out. :lol: You'll have to grind the head off if you want to disassemble. 

lol, Not quite that tight but ot is pretty solid.

Printing completed, yay!  One side done.

rightframe001_by_tkrep-d9w19p6.jpg

rightframe002_by_tkrep-d9w19pd.jpg

rightframe003_by_tkrep-d9w19pa.jpg

Next steps:  on the road this week, but next weekend to finish printing the other side and complete the frame.  Then on to the acrylic shell.

9 hours ago, Bill Owen said:

Looks daayumn good, Todd

Thank you sir!  Can't wait to get the full frame completed.  Once I have that and the acrylic on the outside it's going to start feeling real.

8 hours ago, Mosquito said:

Dang, those are some pretty big prints!

Yeah, they're taking a long, long time to complete.

7 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

I see the test prints pilling up and all I can think is there's a service niche that needs to be filled. 

OMG don't get me started.  It's all re-meltable (if that's a word) so it would be nice if I could melt it down and make new filament out of it.

I just saw the link... lolz.  Man I could buy a lot of filament for the price of one of those.

3 hours ago, InsolentGnome said:

Hmmm.  Print a machine that recycles printed parts for filament to print more machines that recycle printed parts for filament....

Bahahahahaha!  That's Eskimod 3.

3d printers are a fantastic resource for strangely shaped brackets. I would definitely advise in modeling the pilot hole into your brackets. You'll still need to plunge the heated rod to even out the hole due to printing resolution but it will provide a more solid surface to screw to without piercing the infill layer.