Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Driftrunner

Project Caroline: an Aperture Laboratories desk.

Ii7pLDQ.jpg

Since 2007 the Aperture Science Portal Project has been the cornerstone of our aggressive recruitment program. Thanks to the Portal project we have been able to weed out any test subject with any of the following personality flaws; cowardice, impaired motor skills, poor judgement, fear of heights, drowning or fire. Now our marketing engineers have discovered a way to offer consumers a home version the Portal project. We are pleased to announce the Portal project workstation.

n8GiRKV.jpgTLyqzpV.jpg

Hello everybody, welcome to what will eventually become my first build log. I am a Design Engineer in the Sioux Falls SD region by day and avid gamer. My wife and I recently purchased our first home and as a reward I am going to build a desk inspired by the Red Harbinger Cross Desk. One of the things that bothered me about the Cross Desk and other Desk Mods was that none of them were designed for a corner area. With this in mind I wanted a desk to fit a theme I could decorate a man cave with and decided on Portal. I am still in the planning and design phase though I have started acquiring the parts needed to build Project Caroline.

Please feel free to ask questions or request information. I love to hear your thoughts and will do my best to offer more specific pictures if needed.

The two end legs are in the style of test chamber signs and will be illuminated. I have plenty of access to run wires, cords, or anything else I need:

lBDwHQ3.jpg

The center is designed to house the surge protector and backup battery:

5xSYNoh.jpg

The console part of the desk is going to house access to the power supplies, the 420 Rad, an AV receiver as well as access to run cables and cords.

ryNDAD4.jpg

My goal is to have a media server and storage on the left side of the desk and to have the gaming setup on the right side. Both sides will be water cooled with a 360 rad for the media server and a 360 and 420 rad for the gaming station.

6d9Sh9e.jpg

Is it ambitious? Sure it is, but it will really be a masterwork when completed.

Indeed! I've been in the design phase just under a year and have most of my materials soured. I do have a few more design things to work out namely the center channel and the AV receiver. I just received the AV receiver in the post today though, and like with all new toys its time to take it apart! I'll get some photos with it in the next day or two.

So my receiver arrived in the post. I decided on a Pyle PT592A mainly due to its smaller form factor. I was fearing this beast as I have very little wiring experience and was unsure what would be involved in relocating the display and volume knob. I have some cables I need to lengthen, I need to wire up a new, not hideous, power button, and I need to make a mounting provision in the read of the console. Truth be told it should be pretty easy.

y5FoT6G.jpg

I got all the cables unattached and marked so I know where to put them back in. I have the front bezel separated so I can measure the openings.

1qd44PS.jpg

.. Yes that is the ModZoo in the background monitor.

That many wires can be daunting, but it looks like you're well organized, so I'm sure you'll have no issues.  I look forward to it.  Ever since I made my "Music Box", I've wanted to do a larger, more powerful integrated audio build... 

This is going to be interesting!  The guts of that receiver are pretty compact.  I was expecting something like my Onkyo, where the case is stuffed full.  It'd be nice if you could locate the amp section near one of the rads or an air intake.  The air getting drawn by would let you get rid of the little fan.  Or this might be a little ambitious...water cooled amp! LOL!

Just now, InsolentGnome said:

It'd be nice if you could locate the amp section near one of the rads or an air intake.

This is what I plan to do. I am intending to mount the amp just inside the rear panel so it can get as much air flow as it can get being the only real item not water cooled in the build.

ryNDAD4.jpg

1 hour ago, Cheapskate said:

Pretty massive. Me like.

Recommendations: Make sure it tears down to fit through your door, and the ups battery needs venting. 

Thanks! I didn't think the UPS got that warm but why take the chance. I'll add some ventilation.

Well, it's been almost a year, but I have been quietly acquiring materials for the physical desk construction. I hope to all the components fabricated and back from powder coat by the end of January so I should be able to get some pictures up mid February. I'm pleased to report that there is actually some movement on this ambitions behemoth.