Sign in to follow this  
N0mahd

Stripping paint from PC case necessary?

I've been experimenting with painting using rattle cans and such as I've been prepping a new paint job on my PC case. Some guys who paint cars suggested that I remove all the old paint. I would attempt this however, my PC case is steel and I don't wanna deal with any rust or gremlins. As the easiest way would be to just grab some aircraft stripper and remove everything but I'll have to wash it down with water. One thing that has always been a wonder to me is if the old paint actually needs to be removed from a PC case or anything to be repainted? 

Now, I know about just scuffing up the old paint, apply a primer, base coat color, then clear. I've done that to cars before.

It got me thinking though.. The original paint job from the factory is probably as good as a paint job gets, I mean it was made under IDEAL conditions.. It's probably a really good foundation for painting.. IF THE PAINT DIDN'T REQUIRE A PRIMER.

What do you guys think?

I think saying "the original paint job from the factory is probably as good as a paint job gets" can be a bit of a stretch, some manufacturers (like NZXT up until recently, it seems) have had pretty poor paint finishes. 

Thing is, it's a lot easier to spray a paint into nooks and cranny's than it would be to remove it from those same places. This would require you, most likely, to disassemble most of the case to strip it, which is a lot of work on many cases.  If you dry the steel off well after you wash it with water, it'll be ok for a little while.  I use a heat gun on some old hand tools after I derust and then wash them, to dry them quickly enough to not have rust issues.  I then oil them to keep them from rusting in the long run, but obviously something you wouldn't want to do with paint being the next step.  If you can do it right before you paint, I'm sure it'll be fine.  As long as the old paint isn't cracking or peeling, I'd probably just go with scuffing it up unless you have access to a media blaster and some time.

Removing the old paint isn't needed for cases really. It's not like you're leaving it out in the rain or smashing bugs against it at 70 mph. 

I've ran into filler mud being used on a radiator before too.