Porknz

First time water cooler looking for some advice

So it's been eight to nine years since I was able to pull together some money for a new build.  With some saved up money and some Black Friday deals, I have some new parts coming.  I'm planning to do a full tear down and rebuild next week.  Included in my purchases is an EKWB L360 which will be my first jump into water cooling.  It has been my plan to replace the black rubber tubing that comes with the kit with petg.  My long foray into what to put in that petg tubing has been extremely frustrating.

Some places say only distilled water (or deionized water?), some say only coolants, some say use a kill coil, some say never use one.  I love the look of Jaytwocents yellow build, but then of course watched as he vlogged about how he hated it a few months later when it was brown.  I'd like to teach myself to bend petg, but I still don't know what to put in it safely.  Ultimately it's a fallout theme so i'd like to have the petg and liquid as yellow as possible (without getting the typical uv green affect) in my case with fans that already have blue led's.

Also, suggestions for any tools I should have as a first time petg molder other than my heat gun?

Thanks.

Hello.  welcome to the wacky world of watercooling!

I would start your adventure with fulling installing the EK L360 ... great choice of kits, all you need is in the box.  Get that running for a little while, the build process will open your eyes to some of the joys and pains.

After you are satisfied, then consider making the jump to PETG.  You'll need different fittings all round.  The L360 uses 16/10mm compression fittings for soft tube, and these just won't work on hard tubes.

My favorite coolant of all time is still distilled water with some propylene glycol.  never fails. Then look at colored PETG .. Primochill have a small assortment, but I've never tested it out.

Surely, others here will offer up something about coolants, Mayhems stuff and the like.  good luck and document your success for a build log over here eh?

Thanks for the support.  Had some car trouble tonight, so I was actually thinking just that, using the L360 as is for starters and putting in petg when I make a move on a graphics card in the coming months when I have money again.

Can you give me the short story on needing different compression fittings?  I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks again.

Oh, and what can I do to make a good build log?  Haven't done that before.  Is it more than just documenting with lots of photos of the steps involved?

A Pure Glycol solution with PETG according to the datasheets exhibits a small amount of degradation in the PETG over time.  

The small amount found in a premix coolant, or a mix such as what Bungwirez is talking about, should have no appreciable degradation of the PETG in any time frame that your computer would be used in.  The "No Glycol" thing seems to be something that many people are latching on to because they saw a couple pages that said there were incompatibilities.  I have not yet seen anyone running a standard off the shelf premix, or custom glycol solution ever once mention issues with that and PETG.  If anyone has, please by all means let me know.

As for making a jig: Nail a can to a board. need a 90 degree jig for that? Glue more boards around the can at the desired angle. 

Also: Why are a shitton of MZ videos coming up in gooble on holidayvideos.com? Content thief? 

15 hours ago, Axlrose said:

Thanks for the support.  Had some car trouble tonight, so I was actually thinking just that, using the L360 as is for starters and putting in petg when I make a move on a graphics card in the coming months when I have money again.

Can you give me the short story on needing different compression fittings?  I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks again.

Oh, and what can I do to make a good build log?  Haven't done that before.  Is it more than just documenting with lots of photos of the steps involved?

First off, as far as fluids, I've been going DI water with Mayhems X-1 concentrate and it's working great.  The X-1 gives you the the growth and corrosion inhibitors plus you pick your color and you can also tint it.  For your yellow, sounds like you want pastels.  Some people seem to fight them, some have no trouble, I've never used them so I can't weigh in.  Bungwirez has a good idea with the colored tubing.  Then you never have to worry about the color of the fluid.  I would also suggest for more color options along this line to consider acrylic as well.  A little more difficult to work with, but still works fine.  I'm not sure if there's an opaque yellow, but it expands your options.  Also with hardline, painting is always an option too!  

As far as fittings, hardline and flexible fittings are incompatible.  Flex fittings will have a barbed base that the hose slips on and then either a clamp or a cap to hold the hose tight to the barb.  Hardline fittings don't need the barb.  Instead, they have a recess that the hardline slips into and  use a cap to compress an o-ring tight between the tube and the fitting.  Hard to explain without pics.  But yeah, to use the EK setup with PETG or acrylic, you'll need new fittings all around.  But you can swap the EK's tubing out for something that works better for your systems looks.  See if you can find some yellow tubing or something for now, just make sure you match the sizes with what comes with the EK kit.

Edit:  Explaining the differences in fittings is bugging me.  I guess the for the fitting differences, generally a fitting is two parts, a base that screws into the block or whatever and a cap that screws on the base.  The base of flex fittings have a barb that goes into the pipe and the cap squeeze the pipe to the barb.  For hardline, the base is a hub that the pipe slips into and then the cap squeezes and o-ring in between the pipe and the base.  

Awesome stuff guys.  Planning on my last two parts of the build showing up tomorrow in the mail so I'm getting excited!  Still a bit unsure about what to fill the system with.  I'd like to just do distilled for now as you guys have wisely suggested for starters until I get the hang of water cooling in general.  Makes sense.  Baby steps!  :)

I am hearing that running distilled without some sort of growth inhibitor is a terrible idea however, and the most common solution is a kill coil, which performance pc's sent for free with my EKWB L360.  Unforunately, EKWB says no kill coil with their kits because they have nickel in their kit and kill coils react with it so I'm waffling between needing something to do what a kill coil does, but I can't use a kill coil.  I've heard rumblings about biocide(?) but I'm not sure if I can use that with the kit either?

Thanks for any further thoughts.

From EKWB site...

Never use distilled water alone as your main coolant! Pure distilled water offers no protection against biological growth or corrosion.

Always use market proven pre-mix coolant, such as EK-Ekoolant. This propylene glycol based coolant contains all the necessary biological inhibitors, acts as a surfactant and also offers lubricating properties which enhance the lifespan of the water pump. Besides this, it also offers corrosion protection when used in a mixed-metal liquid cooling loop.

Refrain from using strips of Silver (Ag), also known as “Kill Coil”, with distilled water alone in your water cooling loop. Besides introducing another metal into the already mixed-metal loop with no corrosion protection, the concentration of Silver ions may not be enough to prevent or to suppress biological growth in the liquid cooling loop.

I trust you guys and want to go the distilled water route, I just want to cover my bases with biological growth too.

I still like my Mayhems X-1 concentrate.  Mix it with DI and you're good to go.  Haven't had any problems and the color has been perfect for about a year now.  And takes care of the biocide and corrosion inhibitors.

InsolentGnome, when you say DI you mean just straight distilled water?  Like I can pick up at my grocery store?

Thanks guys.

Happy holidays.

Do whatever makes you comfortable.

The only issue I've ever had to date, is actually because of EK... one of their anti vortex sponges deteriorated and was literally falling apart in the reservoir.  I won't go into much more detail, but their response was basically "Not our problem, that happens after a year".  SO... if you go with an EK res and it comes with that black sponge throw it away immediately.  They told me "that's why we recommend changing it after a year".  Except they never mention that ANYWHERE in the instructions or on their website.  I won't press my opinions on others, but I've made my mind up on EK going forward for me.

3 hours ago, Axlrose said:

InsolentGnome, when you say DI you mean just straight distilled water?  Like I can pick up at my grocery store?

Thanks guys.

Happy holidays.

Yeah, distilled or de-ionized water like you find at a store works fine.  just not tap.