One day I asked myself what it would look like if I put a window in a steam link. I don't ask WHY, but HOW. I created the guides as part of my YouTube channel, but i'm going to break it down into steps for the readers. Before I begin, here are the videos from my channel. They're separated into 2 parts, around 10 minutes each. I tried to keep them interesting. :happy:

Part 1

Part 2

Sorry for the delay! 

Project Goals

1. Take the Steam Link Apart
  2. Cut a hole in the top of the Steam Link for the window
  3. Make an etched plexiglass window and glue it in
  4. Wire LEDs to the window

Taking the Steam Link apart
To get the screws out, I peeled back the "rubber" part on the bottom of the Steam Link. I used a T6 torx screwdriver to remove four screws underneath the four corners. Now you can use a pry tool to separate the clips that hold the Steam Link together. These clips are tough, so I had to use some force. Don't be afraid, these clips won't break very easily. 

376ff57fac.jpg
377026b54a.jpg

Once the Steam Link is open, you'll see a big piece of metal in the middle (aluminum? :huh:) This is your chips heat sink. We won't need this anymore, so remove it. Underneath, you'll find a thermal pad attached to the metal cover protecting the main circuitry and processor. I pried it off with a flathead precision screwdriver.

377091c7d3.jpg

37702f10c1.jpg

37707111b6.jpg

376f5c1fbb.jpg

I added a copper low profile heatsink in its place. I had to reuse the thermal pad to make it stick to the processor properly. The adhesive that came with the heatsink would not hold. I cut the arms off to expose the circuitry. If i'm putting a window in, I want it to look good.:S

3773896b2f.jpg

473216df18.jpg

377367342d.jpg

Cut a hole for the window
I used a Black and Decker rotary tool with a Dremel fiberglass reinforced blade to cut a circle. Thanks to @Bill Owen for the circle cutting tutorial on YouTube. I used a lens cap to trace the circle on masking tape and cut the circle. 

37730d238a.jpg

3773489e51.jpg

3773469e84.jpg

37720c00f0.jpg

Make an etched window out of plexiglass
I'm not fortunate enough to have access to a CNC router, so i'm creating a stencil and spraying over it with Rustoleum Frosted Glass (as opposed to sandblasting). I printed out a Steam Logo and cut it out to make the stencil. I glued it down and then sprayed over it with about 5 coats of Frosted Glass. This stuff gives you a translucent effect, but the clear parts should come out more vividly with blue light. I peeled off the stencil, but I wasn't happy with the effect, so I printed it out and started over again. 

377393426e.jpg

377376492b.jpg

377506e517.jpg

37747985d2.jpg

377319da35.jpg

This time I reversed the image so that the painted side would be inside of the Steam Link and not exposed where it could be damaged. I peeled it off with an x-acto knife and a plastic razer blade. There was still some haze left from the adhesive, so I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. Then I cleaned it with ArtiClean bottle 1, and finally polished it with Meguiar's PlastX (the headlight haze cleaning stuff). After a lot of elbow grease, I finally got it to where I wanted it (sort of :unsure:). 

3772fd59cb.jpg

3771ca3572.jpg

376f47d858.jpg

3772d11286.jpg

376fa5ac56.jpg

The legs of the Steam Link that hold it together with screws would get in the way of the window, so I cut the legs off with my rotary tool. The plastic clips should be strong enough to hold the device together. I drilled a hole in the right side of the steam link wall to put in a slide switch. I wanted to be able to turn the light on and off so I can sleep. I started with a 1 mm bit and moved up to a 4 mm bit. I hot glued the switch in. I also hot glued the corners of the outside of the window to the Steam Link top and pressed it down. Window assembly is complete, time to wire LEDs. :S
  37732d157a.jpg

37709391b3.jpg

37730007f9.jpg

37734eb55c.jpg

3773205cce.jpg

376f40149f.jpg

Wire the LEDs to the switch and power
I ran into a dilemma with the LEDs. It would have been easier to run a strip of LEDs inside the Steam Link. The problem is that these strips are designed for 12V DC power. I measured the input voltage of the Steam Link @ 5.1V, which is not enough. If I were to wire the LEDs in parallel, they would only require 3V total (series v parallel: series you add voltage, parallel you add current). So I wired three LEDs in series with their own resistors. I desoldered the LEDs from the RGB LED strip, hooked up LED and wire to the terminals corresponding to the blue LED, and glued it together with hot glue and secured the wires with heat shrink. I hot glued three leds onto the window so that they would light up the window (edge lit). 

377365467c.jpg

3772fb6648.jpg

37b22bf407.jpg

37b213fa89.jpg

376f42d784.jpg

376edd5eb2.jpg

I connected all of the positive and negative leads together. The positive leads were soldered to the positive terminal of the power adapter input. The negative leads were soldered to the switch and another wire was soldered from the switch to the negative terminal of the power adapter input. Heat shrink was added. All that was left to do was to carefully put the Steam Link together.

376ed7d32c.jpg

3773579e80.jpg

3772e9eb1d.jpg

Bonus Content
Some extra photos I took., including the test LED I soldered to the board, the proof-of-concept LED test with an early version of the window, an LED array I constructed, and the final product. 

ac6d7e7e57.jpg

ac6d9c8ddc.jpg

ac6d621735.jpg

ac6db4885e.jpg

ac6dac2a9a.jpg

ac6d6d2ec3.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Chatbox
    The ModZoo keeps getting blackout drunk and losing months of time. Apologies. -Also, anyone know where to get rid of a dead hooker?
    You don't have permission to chat.