Porknz

Rubber gasket placement on the back of the motherboard for water block

I posted this in the EKWB forum as well, now that I see there is such a place, but I'm working on the build right now, so I figured I'd post here too.

Trying my first shot at water cooling with an EKWB L360 on my new build.  I am slowly acclimating to the extra parts for other cpu's etc., but I've hit a snag.

I've looking at installing the backplate for the water block and there are solder pins(???) that are sticking up.  I'm worried about mashing the rubber gasket and the backplate down on top of them.  Perhaps the purpose of the rubber gasket is protect these pins and they can take getting the rubber gasket pushed down on them, but it seems counterintuitive to me.

Thanks for any assistance.

15726486_10211951739414631_6854281170690049766_n.jpg

15781408_10211951739854642_3518950149693900031_n.jpg

I think that gasket is to protect the pins and keep the backplate from shorting things out but now that you bring it up, it is a little scary.  Foam wouldn't bug me but I know that's not the softest rubber.  Can you shift it around a bit and get it off the pins?  What about shaving a bit off the gasket off where the pins hit?

I was thinking of cutting a little off of the gasket if I can.  I was assuming this was a shorting out issue, but I assuming that breaking some of those solder points off if it happens when I tighten down the water block is bad right?  Or if it prevents the water block from making a solid enough seal...

Hmmm.

So, I just tightened down the rubber gasket and the metal backplate and it seems fine.  There must still be some give in the rubber where it goes over the solder points.  I will say, this was a bit tricky because it took some work to make sure each of the four posts was tight.  It took some work to push the backplate close and to have the post hold it tight.  On two occasions, I let the post pull the gasket tight and it didn't get tight enough and wobbled badly.  I think I have a solid backplate on now.  FINALLY, on to the water block on the cpu.  Been in a holding pattern for a couple of hours now hoping for some help from any of the forums I posted on.  Finally went ahead and trusted the product.  Hopefully that works.

Man, can't catch a break with this L360.  Now I go to put the water block on, and it doesn't fit.  There are three capacitors that are too close to the cpu socket.  I have sort of leaned three of them over a tad against the copper block (and made a bit of a mess of my thermal paste in the process) but I can't imagine having three of my capacitors in solid contact with the copper block of my L360 as it tries to cool the cpu is alright.  It will transfer the heat right to them...

What board have you got?  I've never run into this much trouble.  I wouldn't think it would transfer too much heat at the edges.

Just so you know, it does usually go easier than it has been, so don't get turned off by this experience.  I normally just slap the blocks on without trouble and the only thing I usually worry about is orientation.

Yeah, unless EK really botched something, there should be a cpu keep-out zone on the motherboard for the form factor standards, so it's definitely not the norm.  Do you happen to have a picture?

Thanks guys.  I'm not going to lie, the custom loop is much harder than I expected.  I don't think it's hard to do, but the first time it's hard to do.  I'll try to attach some photos.  Not sure I can get a good shot of the capacitors, but I'll try.  Maybe you'll see something basic I completely messed up in the top down photo.  Square block, so rotating doesn't make any difference (tried that in case).  One the left side of the block is a double row of capacitors like you can better see on the top of the block.  Close up is a view of the left side where they are touching.

Last photo is where my front radiator didn't work.  Spent a few hours getting everything taken apart and put back together only to find that with the radiator attached to the fans to the front grill...there isn't room to get the clips back into the front of the case... :)  Back to removing everything again this morning and I'll have to attach the radiator to the front grill and install that, and then try to attach the fans to it (maybe needing to take the motherboard back out to have room to screw the fans in... :) ).  

Been a long install to not get very far with this new loop, but it's going to look great when it's done.

15726990_10211955498948617_4986499181188463338_n.jpg

15781469_10211955499588633_6213338941694209592_n.jpg

Attempt #3 on the front radiator.  Design three doesn't allow for the fan filters to attach.  Like playing chess and only being able to think one turn at a time. :)

Wow, looks like MSI made that freaking tight.  Those EK blocks aren't that big.  The only thing I could suggest is loosening up the backplate and pushing the block as far away from the caps as the mounting holes will allow, but I'm guessing you already tried that.  If you're super confident in your abilities and it's really bugging you, you could try grinding a bit on the block?  But that shouldn't be that tight, though I doubt it will ever be a problem.

Don't get discouraged though, you've definitely got a hard one to work on.  That board looks really tight and some cases are just a pain to get radiators in.  But keep at it!