Sign in to follow this  
Binge

Switch Doctor - Keycap Artwork

HWSlogoICO.jpg

A bit ago I was a featured guest in the Mod Zoo hangout video cast, and on the air I mentioned that I'd love to show my support and begin involvement with the site.

This thread will be a re-cap and continuing log of a project I've been working on since Nov '16 called the 'Switch Doctor'.

Premise:  Creating a humanoid sculpted keycap that will wear masks to change the appearance and profile of the sculpture.  There will be a mask template which other artists can use to customize the design.

Tools and Materials:  

• Sculpting:
  1. The sculpture has been created with Adam Beane Industries sculpting material CX5.
  2. Sculpture is made directly on a product that I developed with a team called the :~$ynth
  3. Hot tools for working with CX5: Kerr Ultra Waxer 2, Revlon Hair Dryer from the 90's, Mr. Coffee cup warmer, generic ceramic coffee cup.
  4. Sculpting Tools: Dental Cleaning Tools, Silicone Tip Shaping Tools
  • Casting:
  1. Air Compressor and Vacuum Pumps.
  2. ASME rated pressure vessel, Stainless steel and lexan 5 gallon vacuum chamber.
  3. Flexible heating elements for providing heat to the curing area in sub 60F temperatures.
  4. Syringes with blunt filling tips.
  5. Industrial Platinum Cure Silicone
  6. Industrial Polyurethanes
  7. Organic Vapor Respirator
  8. Nitrile Gloves: 4mil rated
  9. Metal Stirring Spatulas

Updates coming as I gather the photos and have time to write!

::EDIT:: BLOCK OF PROGRESS PICTURES FROM SCULPTING WITH CX5 -  STILL FINDING THEM ALL ::EDIT::

bn7Xyrf.jpg

dP0bMVq.jpg

0gRq7vT.jpg

zxGE5R2.jpg

PfwMd6W.jpg

77rZ70O.jpg

Loved the hangout, and welcome to the zoo.:D If I had ANY free time I would totally be into this.

I saw your monkey skull with the transparent skin and was wondering if you could add a paint layer to the 'bones' without the final casting damaging it. I like the idea of casting something a little jellyfish-like. 

On 2/11/2017 at 3:51 PM, Cheapskate said:

Loved the hangout, and welcome to the zoo.:D If I had ANY free time I would totally be into this.

I saw your monkey skull with the transparent skin and was wondering if you could add a paint layer to the 'bones' without the final casting damaging it. I like the idea of casting something a little jellyfish-like. 

You could add paint to parts of a encapsulated casting, but then the outer layer would bond to the paint and not the plastic bones.  With that sculpture in particular it would cause some structural problems.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Chatbox
    The ModZoo keeps getting blackout drunk and losing months of time. Apologies. -Also, anyone know where to get rid of a dead hooker?
    You don't have permission to chat.