Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jassilamba

Make Modding Great Again...

35 posts in this topic
12 minutes ago, Cheapskate said:

@B NEGATIVE-Um... That's like one guy here... and it's the name of his web shop.

As for THE ONE RULE, it's mostly about those people that have never even made a taco, and have no intention to. The ones that start a log and either say, "Now gimmie free stuff," or, "Can someone make that for me, for free? Oh, and gimmie free stuff!" 

It's a DIY forum, not the welfare office.

Also, I'd love to host a Sketchup competition, but I'm too busy with real life right now.

You know what I mean Cheaps. Not one guy specifically but that whole 'thing'....

Hi guys. 

i personally feel modding is a dying art. 
So many companies now refuse to give permission to modify their components and it is a nightmare for ''modders'' who want to break free of their shackles and go crazy. 

But ultimately, more and more people are just putting custom loops in a case and calling it a mod or ''project'' when in fact it's just another build with some stickers on it, and it grinds my gears when people like this get all sorts of sponsorships. 

I for one, refuse to give up on the old school ways, in modding more than just the case. 
I'll attach my recent project (not finished, waiting for the RAM to arrive) 

24 ct gold plated Alphacool fittings. 
Pearl gold/white Maximus IX Code
custom gold/white alphacool blocks / res / rads
Pearl white/gold mastercase maker 5 and airflow 140 fans
24ct gold logo's. 
24ct gold filigree 

DSC_0057_zps1ntvxzcs.jpg

Modding is slowing down with the inclusion of many case manufacturers taking the best ideas from the modding world, and implementing them into their cases to make money.

I guess the greatest of case modding might soon die out to become the gods of modding, those mythical beasts that could spin a pile of feces into the communities most praised creations. 

What we see now is a new generation of PC enthusiasts who's custom builds are being praised by these well known case manufacturers as being mods. The misconception of what the term "mod" means is being drawn through the mud by these companies so they can further market their product. The community eats that feces up and their definition of what a "mod" is becomes diluted.

This trend comes with the sharing of all of these builds via social media where there is such a wide reach, where these companies are promoting "Less work for more return and publicity". They might not realize what impact their marketing tactics have, but the pro modders see and feel this impact everyday.

No longer are your required to have a well documented and presentable forum build log, but rather you need to have more than 2000 Facebook likes and 6000 YouTube followers because you have wider reach.

I cannot see any way that us modders can redefine the term "PC Case modding" other than continuing to do what we already do, and teach the good word of modding to those new to the game and are ready to see the sparks fly!

/rant

P.S slowly coming back from hibernation. 

10 hours ago, MT Mods said:

i personally feel modding is a dying art. 
So many companies now refuse to give permission to modify their components and it is a nightmare for ''modders'' who want to break free of their shackles and go crazy. 

You need permission? That's new to me, I've modded all sorts of components from graphics cards to fans, power supplies, and even motherboards. I'm pretty sure you don't need permission.

There are still original and interesting mods out there but as with anything, it's survival of the fittest. At the moment if your build doesn't have dual gfx cards and tons of water cooling stuff with ever more complex connector blocks and pipe routing, then not many people are interested. That's just how it is. In fact there are so many of these types of builds now that it's difficult to find something that really stands out.

Personally, my next build (I'm so happy to be building an AMD based system for the first time in eleven years :ohmy:), will be air cooled or at the most an AIO cooling solution.

As for the original question. Enthusiasts have been arguing about this for years, I've never modded a manufactured case, I prefer to build my own. But I've modded lots of parts and have always considered myself 'a modder'. 

It's all modding guys.

12 hours ago, Attila said:

Try that with gigabyte, they down right refuse to allow modders to get gritty with their components. 
I'm not the only one who was told ''Do not modify our components'' either. 

My custom waterblocking didn't seem to bother them. I'm fairly certain they knew what I was going to do too. Must be a new guy. Maybe they didn't want that crazy overclocking re-wiring type of modding. 

Attila hinting a new project... There isn't an emoticon for deliriously happy.

My custom waterblocking didn't seem to bother them. I'm fairly certain they knew what I was going to do too. Must be a new guy. Maybe they didn't want that crazy overclocking re-wiring type of modding. 

Attila hinting a new project... There isn't an emoticon for deliriously happy.

I agree. I've worked with Gigabyte on several projects as well as Aorus and I've never had anyone request or even ask that I don't modify any parts. I could imagine that they don't want crazy rewiring of their hardware because they want it to perform as intended. Maybe I've just been lucky but, I've worked with a good amount of companies and I've never had a request not to modify parts. It would be a sad day if anyone tried to dictate the modding industry because the next big thing comes out of people stepping way outside the box.

I know it's happened where someone was using sponsored graphics cards in a build that was heavily watercooled (like a 480 rad for just the CPU), but they didn't watercool the GPUs because the sponsor wouldn't let them remove the stock cooler.  For some reason I'm remembering it as MSI, but can't remember exactly.  I'm sure it happens, because let's face it on a GPU the only real recognizable thing is the cooler and shroud... Still dumb though, in my opinion.

I would camp out on the street to wait for an Atilla mod... 

it seems to be certain things. 
for example Gigabyte didn't allow me to re-spray their Xtreme cards, wanted to change the silver to green. 
I was also told by another company to not waterblock the GPU due to ''De-badging'' 
ASUS has been grand through everything, occasionally Gigabyte and MSI allow me to do what i want to do.
But we've gone way off topic. 
lol

We can drift. 

I'll admit when designing for Bill, keeping components stock is one of the sponsor's/customer's requirements.  I just kinda forget about that stuff when building my personal rigs. -Especially when things won't FIT if I keep them stock.