Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

cluelessgenius

Clueless Projects: 901 Build - everything is chrome in the future

27 posts in this topic

Introduction

for a long time now i had this idea of making the split between a very small build and heavy water-cooling for silence. i kind of fell in love with the in win 901 for its very minimalist design but was very disappointed with the interior layout not allowing for watercooling. i mean seriously... they made room for a full size atx power supply but not one decent place to mount a radiator? anyway i still love the case so i deciced to throw the interior out the window and create my own iinterior layout ...with black-jack and hookers (futurama reference).

Main attractions

- fitting an aplhacool monsta 360 in a 901

- making new sidepanels (those beautiful tempered glass panel sadly have that cutout i cant have)

- creating a transparent display for one of the sidepanels

- ...yeah well thats about it. 

First pictures of current progress as of now 

y4mvNowBAlsIttOmW_mwG8GEyd9Un4tKJpAm0Zpv

y4m9vY64YsnjlYqi3TlK1W9KXWZaM-XbTFMKyRMy

y4mbwgxgmfHyxrWKir3-E3YMqTEBFURq7uhzTsUQ

y4mty6oq7Up448EjZgNqlPdanuxrrRw0raKCxAis

y4mJ4krs6RB6OmjqhmQ_8uiuIie2AvvHCVjpC-_Ay4m_TxHOoKB2JhxAqLd1ansvuj-bn-GKpdHZG7nz

y4mfrYaspHXXG2DtQcuhE5IFk5TVHNAuORBnxRcD

y4mwoRony_h8YeNtWS0VIWzjkYdC7QB0qJQrnuq4

y4mVA8aOW-4txhPeHxTYhWSvN2q-SKzFenUjsdP0

y4mqowuLn8VvcxDhWHdFliKZGtXXG6oeqYfea0Ze

y4mPFzjmKckImWxTnOWEAdK46_vQZaSx908z4NeQ

y4mPeptv_BWKEq9L6UylUi5dGpmObPmSwhJQWEA2

y4mZyZz_MPFrBUdOK9MlHI7rqRqbpIeNZyFXThTY

y4mmG2m6aOiakKGm5y1CiOwDpP_KBkALsdic1PNG

2 hours ago, Bill Owen said:

VERY cool ideas and mods happening here! 

sp.jpg

hey thanks. but sadly i messed up the sidepanel by spray painting it with apparently not so easy to remove plasti dip so ill have to sand it down and polish again. also the panel worked until yesterday and this morning only the backlight seems to work and i havent yet had time to analyse :( ...but hey im not gonna give up that easily 

8 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

hey thanks. but sadly i messed up the sidepanel by spray painting it with apparently not so easy to remove plasti dip so ill have to sand it down and polish again. also the panel worked until yesterday and this morning only the backlight seems to work and i havent yet had time to analyse :( ...but hey im not gonna give up that easily 

I speak from experience when I say you may need a few monitors before you're done. ;)

sorry for the long break guys but im on a work trip this week. soo i ordered a new display for next week and hopefully thats gonna be the last one. alos i messed up the side panel big time so im gonna have to redo that on completely but hey at least i got vacation from work next week so i got enough time to do all that

On 4/19/2017 at 5:48 AM, cluelessgenius said:

at 80 bucks a pop i hope not 

Dang thats a lot. I've been buying monitors used on Craigslist. I used 5:4 Dell Ultrasharps which go a little cheaper though. I need a new one for version 2.0 since I ripped the ribbon cable on the last LCD. :angry: 

Good luck, I can't wait to see the results! :)

On 30.4.2017 at 6:48 PM, ImmodderNation said:

Dang thats a lot. I've been buying monitors used on Craigslist. I used 5:4 Dell Ultrasharps which go a little cheaper though. I need a new one for version 2.0 since I ripped the ribbon cable on the last LCD. :angry: 

Good luck, I can't wait to see the results! :)

well sadly crasigslist or used monitors in genral arent around here trhat much because i do need specificly 15.6" screens and now also specificly one model because i got a controller board for tit that will only fit in this modell. alos i mean i may shouldve used something cheaper but for what the panel i think thats abtually a good price since its 15.6" 1080p IPS non-glare.

also yeah that ribbon cable is loose as hell on mine too had to tape it in place after like 20 minutes cause i got so feed up with it 

well thankse ill try my best but sadly i only got until august too work on it since ill be on constant business trips from august to at least end of year

Ooooh! You're reworking the internals too? Nice, I like your take on it. And that monitor is mental :ohmy:

I have an Alphacool UT60 360 in mine, almost went Monsta but wanted a bit for breathing space for fans since I'm replicating the stock look of the 901 and essentially stealthing the entire internal reworking.

I sealed up the front ports on the radiator to give me some extra space; without the front plugs I could get the end tank flush with the outside of the case so nothing was sticking through the PSU gap.

Have a jump on my log, would be nice to compare notes :S

36 minutes ago, LePhuronn said:

Ooooh! You're reworking the internals too? Nice, I like your take on it. And that monitor is mental :ohmy:

I have an Alphacool UT60 360 in mine, almost went Monsta but wanted a bit for breathing space for fans since I'm replicating the stock look of the 901 and essentially stealthing the entire internal reworking.

I sealed up the front ports on the radiator to give me some extra space; without the front plugs I could get the end tank flush with the outside of the case so nothing was sticking through the PSU gap.

Have a jump on my log, would be nice to compare notes :S

well first thanks im trying my best too make things as crazy and complicated as possible it seems. which sadly also means its gonna take a while. 

i thought about those end caps too but i wasnt sure how to get rid of them and still make sure its water tight soo i thought screwing with the bare aluminium of the case would be easier in case something goes wrong instead of me starting to screw with the rad.

ill definitly check out your log and am always happy to compare notes and opinions. 

4 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

i thought about those end caps too but i wasnt sure how to get rid of them and still make sure its water tight...

After a few experiments I ended up using a pair of G1/4 flangeless grubs sealed in place with lashings of Fernox LSX.

590c7b1e76cfa_flangelessgrub.jpeg.ddc4dd38b1d1e74cd663d462dbc2e151.jpeg

The Fernox LSX never sets completely hard so you can unscrew the grubs at a later date. Everything is sealed so far so hopefully I won't have any problems come actual final assembly and leak testing.

2 hours ago, LePhuronn said:

After a few experiments I ended up using a pair of G1/4 flangeless grubs sealed in place with lashings of Fernox LSX.

590c7b1e76cfa_flangelessgrub.jpeg.ddc4dd38b1d1e74cd663d462dbc2e151.jpeg

The Fernox LSX never sets completely hard so you can unscrew the grubs at a later date. Everything is sealed so far so hopefully I won't have any problems come actual final assembly and leak testing.

welp if i only.. now its already done oh well

18 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

welp if i only.. now its already done oh well

If only I'd found your project sooner. Still, it's a minor thing and you're covering the sides anyway so you won't see.

34 minutes ago, LePhuronn said:

If only I'd found your project sooner. Still, it's a minor thing and you're covering the sides anyway so you won't see.

yeah well not that bad i guess except the square for the screeen im gonna black out the sidepanels anyway and in the back it really doesnt even stick out more than the screws do anyway so i can live with that. honestly im quite happy to see people watercooling this case since not many people seems to bother.

also ill try to keep the origianl front io somewhere but right now im wondering how to mount the psu the best way.

y4mtxeHCN-6EP9pFg59t9_EqyGxBHHCXeuLexjQV

i like it like this but the width of the psu is gonna interfear with the watercooling and im really nervou about water this close too the power cables as you can see below

y4mkZ0_ycFQGcIEr5-s11EJjzaQJ1BYpVRjBHA4T

also even if i turn it around i still dont like the proximity to the power cord

y4miM59TijqG3XbZNovLQWpgoLRhkMuEUle8qeHa

so im probably gonna put it in the back somehow and cut the frame a bit more for the power cord to fit.

Yup, that's a component collision iff'n I ever saw one.

Venting the psu out of the case somehow is something I'd put priority on. I think you might want to give up on push/pull too. You will need that space for cables or drives or hookers.

As for aesthetic personal pref: I'd go with a beefier plexi sheet. -beveled edges too.

1 hour ago, Cheapskate said:

Yup, that's a component collision iff'n I ever saw one.

Venting the psu out of the case somehow is something I'd put priority on. I think you might want to give up on push/pull too. You will need that space for cables or drives or hookers.

As for aesthetic personal pref: I'd go with a beefier plexi sheet. -beveled edges too.

well yeah im gonna have it somehow in the back. 

as for giving up on push pull im really gonna try not to. and i mean i knew from the start that it would get very tight in there but im gonna make it fit somehow

thicker plexi would also be something i should have thought of earlier i mean i could but i think im gonna finish it like this and then make do a revision if i really feel like it.

hey guys so im back at it again after some long break now, nothing much has changed for now but i did get myself a msi z270i board. next thing up ill finally redo the sidepanel and build out the interior i planned.

also for anyone interested im gonna post a link to tinknercad here:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/1s47jWe7kJu-in-win-901-build

(online 3d moddeling tool from autodesk originally made for 3d printing but i use it to plan out my projects since its very easy to use offers all the basics one would need and is everywhere available with no setup time because online)

good to see you back. I've been gone a long time too so nothing's been happening.

Liking the renders and the layout, but you'll have to get creative with a hefty riser cable because your GPU is on the wrong side of the board.

On 4.8.2017 at 8:47 PM, LePhuronn said:

good to see you back. I've been gone a long time too so nothing's been happening.

Liking the renders and the layout, but you'll have to get creative with a hefty riser cable because your GPU is on the wrong side of the board.

oh i know ^^

sooo. i didnt actually get much done till now but i am however in talks with parvum about maybe making me a flat reservoir to use as a the back sidepanel an another controller board for the display is on its way from hong kong and i finally went and bought a 7700k to go with my already lying around msi z270i so i can finally at least have a reliable pc again

ok so quick update: cpu is here and installed now only the ram left and im gonna be up and running at least. as far as parvum goes im still in talks but im gonna build my case up a little more and then when i have the measurements like i want it im gonna send them a markup sketch and hopefully its gonna be awesome. and for the display well....the new controller arrived and its finally working awesomely...soo yeah again case build up and then sidepanel finish and then integrate the display...slightly bad news i killed my raspberry but whateverDSC_0202.thumb.JPG.519521c99589cfe6bb4eadf42eb892be.JPG