If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

ForsbergCustoms

Project Spectrum! ( ITX scratch build ) [SPONSORED]

Hi guys!

Sponsors:

mSho8iW.png

So this is Spectrum! Spectrum is an ITX scratch build that at its core is an "open" system, with that i mean that the components will be exposed.

The general idea for the "case" is that it's supposed to look like the components are "rising" up from the base as if it all was the same piece. The name Spectrum comes from yea you guys guessed it, RGB :)!

The case will be constructed out of 10mm acrylic sheets and in the bottom layer i will place an rgb strip that will be facing up so that the whole base will shine. This version will not be watercooled im afraid but i might do another in the future with watercooling. 

PS. components in the sketchup model are placeholders, i have not decided yet on exactly all the hardware.

I would love to get your feedback so do not hesitate to comment :).

Sketchup screen 1.png

Sketchup screen 2.png

Sketchup screen 4.png

Edited by ForsbergCustoms
Sponsored

Here comes some more pics of the plans on the build aswell as the carrying case. In the next update there will be some actual building going down.

jVenSIW.png

From the back.

7rLBxzu.png

Bottom view. In this picture you can see the hole for the 16mm vandal switch that will be the power button for the pc. The cables will be routed in channels in the acrylic.

9AQ3uoR.png

Bottom most acrylic layer. A better view of the channel that will be routed in this layer for the rgb strip.

3BsCGrQ.png

Bottom layer again from a different angle.

The Box

The box will be constructed from 10mm sheets of pinewood or oak if i can find it for a good price. It will then be covered with foam on the inside so that the pc will rest securely.

IAbhccW.png

Front view of the box open with the pc inside. I will probably cut some more foam inserts to put in between the components so that its even more secure during transit.

9TI4eKn.png

From the back. First of all, the handle and latches are placeholders fyi :D. I have not decided yet whether to engrave, paint or burn in the logo on the back, any ideas ?

G3vpy9r.png

A better view of the inside of the box.

So that was it for this update, next will be up shortly.

Cya!

So it begins!

First step for me is constructing the motherboard tray since im still waiting for the acrylic to arrive.

7j8DLr1.png

Measure ones cut twice or how does is it go ? ;D  

lFAZxDr.png

My trusted "old" jigsaw. Its been with me for ~8 years and works like a charm.

0x1ZrLi.png

First cut done.

YkviRbl.png

It's free!

pP36Ix5.png

Now its just the matter of getting everything square and nice.

bdrqk4R.png

Just a test fit so i could see if i got the widht right. ( not the board im going to use btw just a random card i found at work ).

snxtSXM.png

Measuring out where the bends are going to be and marking out the holes for the standoffs.

n5tQK9M.png

Now its just the matter of finding the right one (not use to the American measurements).

ayyn8gE.png

Decided to take a scrap piece of aluminum to try the tap on first but it ended up being a pain for some reason (maby i did it wrong).

So just for fun i tried to tap it using the standoff itself and that worked just fine since aluminum is quite soft (for the first hole). 

AKw7x8o.png

When i was in the middle of tapping the other hole the standoff broke in half ( probably torqued it abit to much ) leaving the other haft in the hole. yeay!

lpUhqR6.png

I did manage to save it by carefully drilling out the broken piece of standoff.

MVG5tSG.png

All of the standoffs fits perfectly, time for a test with the board.

LEOrMM8.png

Fits like a charm. Now to the hard part, bending this sucker.

2J5w5gq.png

Man its tough to bend it. Who would have thought that 2mm aluminum whas this tough (psu is a broken one from work so dont worry).

Well this will not work, lets try another plan.

EastXxI.png

Maby this will work ?!

RQ5eMZk.png

It did not. Since i dont have a metal brake at work or at home i decided to build my own. Found some plans for a quite

inexpensive one online. Next update will be trying to build that one.

Update!

So i've gathered the materials needed for the DIY metal brake, a couple of scrap pieces of wood, some right angle aluminum rods, 2 hinges and a couple of screws.

fjEFlPI.png

Some scrap wood i had left over from another project, i knew it was good to keep them.

EQ2ni3Q.png

All the pieces cut up to the right size and shape.

tpEhKSp.png

Some scrap pieces of right angle aluminum rods to keep the bending edges straight and sharp.

RmlBJ0A.png

All the pieces cut to size ( 20cm ) now its time to glue them on.

JdIKwdS.png

One glued.

NEfkRJR.png

Second piece glued.

ByUhKVr.png

First two pieces glued, third is drying ( do not have a picture of that one ).

nKxzzzw.png

All of the pieces done! Now its just a matter of aligning these so we get a straight bend ( SPOILERS! that was harder then i thought ).

XxQ5iKS.png

When i was mounting it together i noticed that the back of the brake did not sit straight so i had to make some supports for it.

Gd7UYWn.png

And then to glue those on.

vPpwbuo.png

There we go, nice and straight!

L9ge7Fx.png

I then proceeded to make some holes so that to bottom and top halves could be screwed together and the reason for all the holes is so that i can fasten it down as close to the material as possible. Having abit of modularity is allways nice.

4nDKaD4.png

And here we have the bending part attached to the brake. This proved to be a real pain to align properly.

nxNeJCW.png

Don't know if you guys can see it but the gap between these differ from one side to the other (in this picture i used the included screws that came with the hinges to fasten it together).

I later had to switch to nuts and bolts to have some room to adjust the whole thing.

yMBIeO9.png

In the process of switching to nuts and bolts.

5OIyums.png

And now for the fun part, trying to bend this sucker.

3xNxWYm.png

Maaaan 2mm aluminum is tough.

NPHqhds.png

FAIL! So this did not work, it bent abit as you can see but after this angle the screws started to rip out of the wood. Ive decided to redesign the motherboard tray

instead of remaking the metal brake but that will have to wait until the next update.

Cya!

Update!

The plan for this is to light up the "rays" in the logo in the correct colors so it looks like a prism getting white light in one end and the whole spectrum on the other end ( mine will only have 5 colors but you get the point 😉 ).

This time my metal brake worked perfectly! It did not bend them perfect 90 degrees but a rubber mallet fixed that. I started to lay out the pattern for the tray and in the next update i will be starting to cut this out.

So in the first to pictures you can see the new design for for motherboard tray. First of all the ammount of metal that is needed to be bent is

far less this time (only 4cm in total). Second all i decided to incorperate the logo of the build into it.

8VsqeTc.png

iNScJtR.png

MDaFule.png

So out with a "new" piece of aluminum and start measuring.

kw7mIyv.png

New piece cut out, now to make this one nice and square.

OiNE6Vo.png

There we go!

cnjtoRO.png

Now to start measuring out where the sheet will be cut and bent.

JMRnOxh.png 

Got my measurements and all of them are marked out. TO THE JIGSAW!

nwZpyxn.png

Far less material to bend.

25SsRmY.png

Soooo...We meet again!

lqXLpmB.png

Lining it up.

NszmnG6.png

This time it worked perfectly. The angle is not a perfect 90 right out of the brake but a good

bashing with the rubber mallet fixed that.

FtRvE2k.png

Fresh out of the brake.

ApMqHAV.png

Now to get all the measurements for the pattern.

Nkr0uk9.png

Nothing like a blank canvas.

deAeh33.png

Getting some of the markings out.

21kJiFS.png

Triangle marked out.

l2ZSrUR.png

Inside of the triangle and the rays are now marked.

aBAY21G.png

Marked the pieces that are going to be cut out with a black marker so that i can instantly see where to cut.

aN9c1sb.png

Delivery! My acrylic sheets arrived today.

clt5iWq.png

Time to cut it.

aOTME7f.png

Started with a pilot hole so that i could insert my jigsaw.

6FvOBPr.png

Then i started to hack away at it.

CeFMJar.png

Progress.

KCH5KTC.png

Even more progress. It's at this moment i started to realize that the holes between the rays are going to be a pain.

CRa9l48.png

Voilá! One down, 6 more to go.

e62czFx.png

More progress.

cxXfp7f.png

5 more to go, i do not look forward to the 4 small ones.

EBDIVqM.png

And to spare you the pictures of me cutting yet again another hole, here is the final picture of todays work.

I will probably start to cut out the smaller holes tomorrow.

Cya!

Update!

So i decided to start cutting out the spaces between the "rays" in the pattern and i was prepared for this to take some time but it did not take very long at all.

QlhbLbp.png

So i removed the tape and decided to mark the metal instead because it was just sliding around when i used the jigsaw.

The black markings are just so that i quickly can see which ones are going to be removed.

dmZlQe9.png

Marking out where the pilot holes for the jigsaw is going to start.

Zvz754y.png

Pilot holes drilled.

dPxRtLL.png

Was as i said expecting this to be more of a pain than it was. Now its just some filing to be done.

03cENC8.png

Some filing done :)

mRkYizm.png

Everyone includes pictures of their pets in their logs but since i don't have one i decided to

include my good friend @Johnny Stone who in this picture is working on his new build.

Cya!

Filing 'fun'? If you get a pinching sensation in your neck, STOP.  If you don't stop, you won't be able to turn your head for months. Let's just say I've learned the filing position in the above pic is bad for you. Find a way to clamp the work so you can file horizontally. 

Looking good so far. You definitely need to get your gpu riser card first so you can fit around it. It also looks like you'll need to get this design off the table so the PSU can breathe.

It's going to be fun when its done ;D. Yea looking at some vice atm but i have not decided which one yet. And thx dude means alot! 

I already have a rise cable but it might be to long, we will have to see i guess and yea i need to find some feet for it, i might ask @Bill Owen to make me a couple of smaller ones of his case feet.

Update!

Some more filing has been done since last time and the pattern is now complete! :)

q9PBhPr.png

XrsI0C5.pngpohXtNt.pngrDSzqum.png

It's quite amazing how much aluminum dust you are creating when you file stuff.

RTCCcSA.png

Nearly there!

3GcJxrr.png

Some of the small hand files i used. The flat, 45 degree and the box shaped ones got the most action.

fq4Epgu.png

And there we go! My small work light got to step in as a backlight so the pattern would pop as much as possible.

hs2NjYM.png

0VFAB1K.png

Starting to mark out the holes for the standoffs.

ZMlo6hA.png

Holes marked out and ready to be made.

bvobMYF.png

Standoffs are in!

TnUDaqL.png

Fits perfectly and as an added bonus the motherboard counterweighs the plate enough so it can stand on it's own.

yflTCK3.png

The back looks really cool in my opinion, what do you guys think ?

Next step will be to file down the back of the standoffs and figure out how i want to mount my LEDs and also mount the acrylic to the back of it (the tray will also be painted ofc).

Cya!

I feel your pain on the DIY brake. I didn't have much luck when I made mine and trashed a few pieces of bodywork for Asteria II. Bought one in the end for metalwork, but the DIY job is still great for acrylic.

Loving your manual cutting for the motherboard plate, looks really clean.

@Cheapskate Orly ?! Link it when you can dude :D
@LePhuronn Yea it looked good on paper but i think i might buy one in the end anyway to have for future projects :).

Thx dude, i'm quite pleased with it aswell. Really rewarding to cut things manually and get a good product in the end.

PS.

I'm waiting for some parts to arrive so i can continue the build, sorry for the delay :)

Update!

So after a little break for festivities over midsommer it's time to start working on the project again.

So now im going to file down the back of the standoffs so they will be flush with the back then go over the holes with some plastic padding to smooth it all out. I sprayed the back with a random spraycan just to see if the plastic padding was smooth or bumpy.

chPvpl4.png

jp7ETHN.png

xjFFSLF.png

bRGjXLj.png

Y1lSsaM.png

ECZIuSF.png

MrIVzB5.png

Then i decided to map out the holes for the LED's that are going to illuminate the rays in the pattern and also maping out the small groove thats going to be carved for the cables for those LED's. Started with drilling out the holes for the LED's and when the holes was made i started to connect the holes with the groove for the cable using a dremel. The job on the grooves could have been neater but this it's not going to matter since its going to be painted and it will also be on the back of the tray.

pQrmeyK.png

Cv6qbeU.png

jgVoC3Z.png

mXRnlG4.png

1AsvG3f.png

Cuwxsyj.png

KiUjnGB.png

I decided to start by drilling the holes in the feet of the tray so that it could be fastened to the acrylic and then throw some paint on it (I just had time for one coat today).

bm4w0u7.png

G6Ib4hU.png

J2Jhsbb.png

YV4vliq.png

ka4c97n.png

epKrJtQ.png

After that i decided to make a mockup of the LEDs thats going to illuminate the rays in the logo to see if my calculations where correct. When assembling the components i noticed that i had the wrong resistors with me from home (took a 180ohm one when i needed a 380ohm one). But just to see that the calculations where correct i took 2 180ohm and 2 10ohm ones instead and it worked. I think i might connect a little "stronger" resistor on the yellow, green, blue and white connection since they are much brighter.

KQxXnU3.png

jYsTXlO.png

AklZUbg.png

Quka1uP.png

WiSAOkJ.png

5XHUq0U.png

Update!

So now its time to make the acrylic plate for the motherboard tray. I ordered a 2mm sheet when i ordered the other acrylic sheets but it seems like i put in the wrong measurements because it was to short. I decided to try a different design instead since i had the sheet and it would fit that design.

What i decided to try was to make just the logo in acrylic instead och the whole plate. The main problem with this was that the 2mm acrylic was VERY flimsy when you start cutting it down to small strips and i ended up braking one off during the filing of it, RIP.

So i decided to get a big enough piece instead and do the design i planed from the start. The new sheet is also abit thicker (4mm i think, did not check) so its not as fragile as the first one. This one was a 1000 times easier to work with and the results (before filing) looks quite nice.

I also got my power switch today, YEAY! (just a month after it should have arrived).

Enjoy!

QHOnoer.png

ZLk0z7t.png

RUJUlIM.png

ToC0BAw.png

k5nyzo2.png

C1RfphP.png

PvtBNsS.png

uoytg2f.png

kdexsUB.png

lRe4wb4.png

wGd1HE5.png

iGKdtzg.png

JRmcsx1.png

oHciu0i.png

mCVHBBI.png

zfNZoa0.png

7nPEFrd.png

NhQ6kGe.png

WHFDEz3.png

VhGELAY.png

7DaJwa2.png

i8670mG.png

TmkzmiU.png

ULvWbhT.png

Update

So to make things alot easier this time i decided to fasten the acrylic to the frame so i could accurately match it to the frame. Since i dont have a routing table i made my own out of the routing attachment for my dremel. I tried to just turn it on its side but it was to unstable.

After a bit of routing it was time for some filing to get the last details fixed. The result looks quite nice and fits perfectly on the frame.

(The white stripe on the last pic is just tape on the pallet in the background )

I started by masking of the parts that's going to be clear and then went to town with the paint. After peeling of the masking tape i noticed some overspray but i manage to get rid of most of it.

After letting them dry for a couple of hours in the summer heat i put the to pieces together. I had to drill into the acrylic a bit for the led's to reach further in and ofc to remove the black paint.

It's always a good idea to test the components before gluing them to the frame and in my case it all looks good. So then i started to solder all of the wires and components together and gluing them down as i went around. After i had soldered on the resistors and the 3-pin fan connector i put a nice black sleeve on it and started to glue that to the frame so the connector would end up close to a connection on the motherboard. After testing it with a random psu i can't wait to get the motherboard and try it.

Enjoy!

8DSzGzn.png

qtXviIE.png

Cdw4HMb.png

W6fQPhJ.png

w6g8Y5X.png

7cVp5sO.png

Hb21iQX.png

vYEaWWP.png

hEksDwC.png

uMxjUv2.png

RQW6TCj.png

t6AJcac.png

CDnK67d.png

r7t5InH.png

eYuQElw.png

6nfkjZg.png

KFPG4h0.png

ehfKad2.png

fsCjF2W.png

HHEdDqu.png

7T43E3Q.png

CeWA1NY.png

XK9e5sI.png

OXB1XeR.png

c3n6UfT.png

mkgHsDO.png

Er5yJ5U.png

Vq7isC4.png

8VXa3zK.png

zx6f2fy.png

x31PL8W.png

TNDe92r.png

YafEoJi.png

wggiYAI.png

QxwP2tJ.png

cTuQYrU.png

NL0LhR1.png

Ls2lb6u.png

18kISnq.png

TsCs269.png

uywSRmx.png

SaoeNR1.png

oaE1hSF.png

wAGrBGQ.png

ZQEWIcl.png

0B6hMAm.png

FgGpooI.png

Ybp7m2h.png

uoiGnQS.png

cP1LWbn.png

qSXwrT8.png

Well, nice job on that lighting.

I'm with bill, I have to give it to ya.  Hand cutting and filing that stuff is a tedious process.  But it looks great.