DDCustomMods

DDCM Desk Project: Unique. Simple. Powerful

On 12/23/2017 at 2:12 PM, Cheapskate said:

If you are OK with the grain, I'd recommend just going with a black stain instead. You will need to wood fill and sand the feces out of it anyway, You might as well make the grain not look like an accident.

You can always paint it later, but you can't UN-paint it, and black spray paint in particular is unforgiving.  Insolent Gnome just posted a great example of odd color stained wood in his G-Frame log. I've seen some really awesome black stain art deco furniture that used a light fade of silver paint too. In that case, it was used to accentuate the surfaces of the drawers and corners.

-Just throwing suggestions around. I do that. :D

Loving the suggestions!  I will look into the stain and IG's post.

For black I've used both India Ink and Minwax Polyshades.  Polyshades required 3 coats on oak but I was able to get a good complete black, and could still see the grain texture, but that was solid oak.  This isn't a stain, as much as it is a tinted top coat, as it's polyurethane, so keeping that in mind is key.  You have to build up the layers, but once you're done that's it, no top coat to protect it or anything, it's gonna be tough.

The India Ink is more like a dye and would require a top coat of some sort to protect it from deep scratches.  It will penetrate the wood well, but if you try this route, make sure it's color fast so it doesn't fade.  Something like Blick Black Cat or Speedball have been the two more popular/successful ones that I've heard from woodworkers (I've used Speedball and it's worked well, though I have only done some testing with it).

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

On 12/29/2017 at 11:20 AM, Mosquito said:

For black I've used both India Ink and Minwax Polyshades.  Polyshades required 3 coats on oak but I was able to get a good complete black, and could still see the grain texture, but that was solid oak.  This isn't a stain, as much as it is a tinted top coat, as it's polyurethane, so keeping that in mind is key.  You have to build up the layers, but once you're done that's it, no top coat to protect it or anything, it's gonna be tough.

The India Ink is more like a dye and would require a top coat of some sort to protect it from deep scratches.  It will penetrate the wood well, but if you try this route, make sure it's color fast so it doesn't fade.  Something like Blick Black Cat or Speedball have been the two more popular/successful ones that I've heard from woodworkers (I've used Speedball and it's worked well, though I have only done some testing with it).

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I love that India ink, I watched a video of it used on Pine... which is what the desk is made out of... and it came out super black with slight grain still showing.  I don't think I'm going to have more than a few hours to paint it though.  Luckily, since I'm moving back to my hometown, I can use my friend's paint booth to give good coats to the desk with some quality paint.  Not optimal but will be the best since I'm gunna need the desk operational asap since I'm using parts from my main rig.  I definitely am looking to a poly coating on the top to increase durability and protecting the finish.

200https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jBy4r7

Good morning DDCM fans and followers!

How about another DDCM desk PC update? 

So, I wish I had a huge update for you guys, but unfortunately I only have one depressing picture for you.  We started packing away our parts for the desk.

For those that haven’t followed us on social media, we are about to embark on a coast to coast move as we move back to our hometown area near Lake Tahoe, NV.  My wife and I have both had parents have medical issues to include her mom having brain surgery.  Because of this we are moving back to be a support structure as they continue to age.  Additionally, our two daughters need to be close to their grandma and grandpas.

So, this build will be on hiatus through January and part of February as our stuff gets shipped to the west coast.  I promise as soon as we set up in the new garage I will be right back on this.  In the meantime, if you find us on social media we will continue to do other things while we transition.

Until next time, Happy Modding!

47 minutes ago, Cheapskate said:

Take care, and we hope for the best.

Thank you!  I will keep this updated with progress of the transition as it relates to the work shop etc.

What Cheaps said.  You're doing what you've got to do for good reasons, but the cause is not the greatest situation.  Hope things work well and I look forward to you coming back to it in the future.

16 hours ago, Mosquito said:

What Cheaps said.  You're doing what you've got to do for good reasons, but the cause is not the greatest situation.  Hope things work well and I look forward to you coming back to it in the future.

Thanks Mos!

I have a couple updates to post, but we’ll start with the first one to say “We are now moved into the new house!!”  One of my first tasks was to reorganize the garage into a workable area for me.  Below is my new dungeon.

IMG_0600.jpg

Then I turned my broken laptop into a HTPC in our bedroom so we can relax before bed with a show.  Look at that cable management.  Second picture is the wires behind the small 21” screen.  The only way it’d be better is if I ran power to behind the screen instead of having the surge protector run up the wall.  After which I built my wife a murphy desk below so she had a place to work and didn’t clutter up my desk project.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

It took a week but Spectrum finally came out and hooked up our internet.  Before they showed up I went ahead and mounted the wifi router in the hallway for the best whole house signal.  Last picture is my communication wall with the modem, power strip, and gigabit switch.

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Finally I could get down to work and got the wood filler and started filling in the nail holes, gouges, and small cracks in the wood in preparation for sanding later.

IMG_0656.jpg

Next I drilled and tapped the new motherboard tray.

IMG_0659.jpg

Took my R9 290 and tested my fit with my server ATX board next to the Alphacool reservoirs.  In my next post we start pulling out our water cooling gear and more :D

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Let’s start this update with some great shots of our Alphacool gear.  Sexy watercooling in place so I can start bending tubing soon.

I2dM4P5.jpg?1

iZucGQ5.jpg

bMnBsPr.jpg

We then went onto install our Seagate Barracuda drive in the HDD rack below the radiator shelf.  I can only hope the SATA cable will reach haha

MkgAk91.jpg

Speaking of cables, I first made a cable passthrough plate for the power cables to pass through.  Sexy 3 grommets from ModMyMods.com.

aeF4Pni.jpg

FawX2hc.jpg

I continued on the trek of cables to work on learning crimping and made my first CPU power cable.

VnONIqn.jpg

q7qiCMh.jpg

in7X6Ig.jpg

6rVRbVs.jpg

Let’s get this update started with one of my favorite photos so far.  The Alphacool Flow Meter Square Plexi edition. That polished plexi just makes my heart flutter.  Should be interesting to see it in action with the red fluid lol.

6GafIvy.jpg

Next was a super daunting task of painting our ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard to get rid off all the green and tan and make it red.  Steps: take it out of Night Shark, tape up everything and slip non sticky tape in all the slots and cover any exposed pins, then paint the feces out of it from every angle but straight above, remove tape and pray it turns on…..

FlgFDQ6.jpg

S99yQng.jpg

b1Q190u.jpg

1x3Oqkv.jpg

Once it was painted and all sexy red and black, we installed our customized Alphacool XPX cpu waterblock.  We painted the brackets red, swapped out the alphacool logo with the red replacement cover. Looks like it was created specifically for my motherboard…… oh… I guess it was haha

9kKYch8.jpg?1

After the motherboard was sorted out, we turned our attention to our AMD Radeon R9 290.  After stripping it bare of the turbo jet cooler, we installed our Alphacool block and backplate.  To mount it to the backplate, we drilled and tapped 6/32 into the backplate and put motherboard standoffs on.  Then screwed the motherboard screws in from the back, securely holding our mounting plate in place.

VEtUrqi.jpg

5OjfpxO.jpg?1

YWpTxm7.jpg

DauZ9FF.jpg

If you enjoyed this update, just wait for the next one! It will include pictures of our first time bending acrylic tubing!!!  It was a learning experience for sure.

So before the watercooling, acrylic bending, madness ensues….. Here’s a quick picture of our SSD mount.

AIZUBas.jpg

Now that’s over with…. Here’s our Alphacool acrylic tubing runs!  I did also record a video on how I cut and bent the acrylic….. But don’t have a computer that has the power to edit/render the video.  So bear with me :)

fVYgTwg.jpg
q2iepw2.jpg
A7vmDAi.jpg
VVSEs6t.jpg
Dd0dxPI.jpg
bzxD9LV.jpg

We left off last time with a completed watercooling loop…. but still had to paint.  So we start off by stripping it down to the bare wood.

5R921tA.jpg?1

While I waited for some wood filler to dry, I went ahead and painted our Alphacool NexXxos radiators, PSU mount bracket, GSkill RAM heatspreaders, and the fan grills for our rear intake fans.

iusKeVw.jpg
k8UMX5h.jpg
8fDUSoS.jpg

Once the filler was dry, I wasted no time sanding it down.  Then just testing a theory I checked the fit of the InWin RGB LED strips and how I was going to run the cable.  After the cable test, I brought the desk inside to be wiped down with a damp cloth.

mXdwvWb.jpg
RgOGaSi.jpg
odAKxq8.jpg

Once it was clean and dry we started painting it black by cutting in the corners and angles first.  Then we broke out the 3” brush and filled in all the big areas.

N17rZOw.jpg
rIkWti5.jpg
Pqf7m4M.jpg

If you’re still reading this far, the next update will be the components installed and the loop set back up and hopefully filled!  Leak testing here I come!

We can start off with a glamour shot of the leak testing we did.

EkqOWaQ.jpg

One of the first things we did while waiting for all the paint to dry was to finish making our custom sleeved extensions.

AjAfuCh.jpg
AjAfuCh.jpg
WRVAsEn.jpg

Once the paint dried we immediately set to installing our components and figuring out our cable paths.

fTXUQ3v.jpg
HHy1ueo.jpg

Then we prepped and installed our painted NexXxos 360 radiators which followed with fans, tubes and everything else.  Once it was all connected we started our leak testing.

jOQkwtO.jpg
dPwo4j0.jpg

First we will start with the winner of my contest.  I wanted people on social media to design a dragon and flames to paint on the top of the desk before I seal it up.  Here’s the winner.  I loved the shape of the dragon head.  The flames will need a little cleaning.

GxjDNmV.jpg

Ok, back to the desk.  We took this picture while it was night time and during the leak test.

Z9cvQTh.jpg?1

The next morning we went to paint the top of the desk…. And ended up spending a few hours cleaning the carpet instead DOH!

lPuArOg.jpg

Several hours later I recruited my daughters help and we drained the desk of all the distilled water and filled it with the Mayhems Red Aurora liquid.

YrAqC7x.jpg
KYQYrc5.jpg

After the paint dried on the desk top, I attached it in place and took this teaser picture for social media.  

TOw0Fzw.jpg?1

After all the cable management was done and I verified it was working great, I took this semi finished picture.  All that’s left is to install the windows and to get the vinyl lettering in place.  And YES, I know it’s a small old monitor for this massive project. haha.

95NLzIb.jpg
KTchOFJ.jpg

I hope everyone has enjoyed this so far and I will update with final pictures on a real camera once I get to the last couple things done.  And hopefully by then I’ll have a better monitor too.

Looks great!  Looking forward to seeing all the final photos.  That is to say, if that bottle of Jack doesn't keep you from getting that done lol 

Missed a bit. oops.

Valspar latex: That's cheating! :tongue:

Paint spill: Put the lid back on if you want to read the label. 

Also: You might want to look into putting a vinyl on the top of the desk later. Latex doesn't handle oily human contact well. (Not saying you are oily. ALL humans are oily.) 

In the end, It came out great. You did well, and still have 10 fingers, unlike some of us...

On 3/21/2018 at 5:52 AM, Mosquito said:

Looks great!  Looking forward to seeing all the final photos.  That is to say, if that bottle of Jack doesn't keep you from getting that done lol 

Thanks Mos!  Still working toward the final photos.  Any ideas for mounting the 1/4" acrylic windows?  I was going to paint some screw heads read and just mount it to the outside of the desk.  But after getting the desk together to it's current state I love how clean the outside is and don't want to sully that with the raised acrylic panels.  Additionally, I'd like them to be semi removable for maintenance down the road.    Clues?

On 3/21/2018 at 11:09 AM, Cheapskate said:

Missed a bit. oops.

Valspar latex: That's cheating! :tongue:

Paint spill: Put the lid back on if you want to read the label. 

Also: You might want to look into putting a vinyl on the top of the desk later. Latex doesn't handle oily human contact well. (Not saying you are oily. ALL humans are oily.) 

In the end, It came out great. You did well, and still have 10 fingers, unlike some of us...

Haha hey monkey man!  Thanks for the kind words *wiggles all 10 fingers* yep all there.  Also you must remember....all is fair in love and modding :S

I was lucky that my wife didn't have my head for the paint haha.  She just shrugged and said "It's just carpet"  ....disaster averted there.

For the top of the desk, the plan is to paint a fan drawn dragon head and flames, then poly the top.  That should keep all that primate oil off the desk.... and beard oil too :laugh:

Maybe you could embed some magnets in the acrylic panel, and either some short screws, or glue in some metal pieces flush with the inside?  That would make the windows easy to pop off, and mounted on the inside.  If you want flush mount, that would get a little more tricky... 

On 3/27/2018 at 8:02 AM, Mosquito said:

Maybe you could embed some magnets in the acrylic panel, and either some short screws, or glue in some metal pieces flush with the inside?  That would make the windows easy to pop off, and mounted on the inside.  If you want flush mount, that would get a little more tricky... 

Actually the magnets give me an idea.... if I mount small l brackets(painted black) at a depth of the acrylic, then I can place the acrylic in place with the magnets? maybe.  but then it'll be flush mounted also(or as flush as I can get) 

EDIT: Well... L brackets might be too big to work with, but small square wooden dowels should do the trick.

8 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

You laugh, but that shrug means you will be responsible for sweeping that room for now on. 

Haha, she's ordering a kid's play rug to cover most of the room.... and our 12 year old vacuums lol

So we needed a shot of the desk to put on our new business cards, so….. I figured I wanted to share with you.  We are also in talks to do a hardware upgrade if the vendor approves it.

ux1cP7Z.jpg
ujm3pHK.jpg
WzGTSwZ.jpg

Of course, none of this would’ve been possible without the amazing sponsors!

3zqeYBX.jpg

The business cards came out pretty snazzy too!

WpSS6zh.jpg