Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Telegraph

Valuing a destroyed CaseMod

Posted (edited)

I have been a lurker around mod zoo for around two years and much longer around bittech and have always been inspired by the work going on around here. 

I have done a few mods myself, my favorite being an Thermaltake HTPC case I modified into a bunker complete with nine digit key pad for start/reset. This computer was my pride and joy for many years. I say "was", because during my recent move from Dallas to Denver I foolishly let it get shipped by the moving company who in the course of moving it crushed its box causing irreparable damage to the case and internals

I now face the daunting task of valuing my work for insurance purposes. My new job had insurance but I am unsure how to price a complete replacement for something like this.  

Have any of you had to value a Mod? 

Does anyone who has done commissioned jobs in the past mind privately (or publicly) sharing what you've charged and how?

So far I've had to meet a pretty low bar for all the furniture they broke (they even broke our dining room table!) but a broken gaming rig this is a big ticket item and they are pushing back.

After that comes trying to replace the machine now that I am a father with a 1yo!

Edited by Telegraph
Typo

Price of parts is probably the best you can do. If you don't actually have a bill for services rendered, it might as well be trash to most people. It might help if you have a way to document the amount of time spent on it. 

Be glad it wasn't Saudi movers. My cousin caught them smashing his $18,000+ four-poster bed to make it easier to carry. Then they argued it was made to come apart- via kicking and slamming on the ground. 

Unfortunatley, Cheaps is probably right, because Insurance... 

Perhaps you could contact a few reputable professional mod shops (like Performance-PCS, PCJunkieMods, or MNPCTech) and see if they'd send you a quote for a replica based on pictures you (hopefully) had of it before it was destroyed.  It may be for naught, but maybe you could argue the replacement cost to insurance?  

That really sucks, never a good situation

Here is the best picture I have of what was destroyed:

Wyd9HqY.jpg

1 hour ago, Mosquito said:

Unfortunatley, Cheaps is probably right, because Insurance... 

Perhaps you could contact a few reputable professional mod shops (like Performance-PCS, PCJunkieMods, or MNPCTech) and see if they'd send you a quote for a replica based on pictures you (hopefully) had of it before it was destroyed.  It may be for naught, but maybe you could argue the replacement cost to insurance?  

That really sucks, never a good situation

I will look into those places although I already reached out to MPCTech, who isn't staffed for it anymore perhaps the other still do.

2 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

Price of parts is probably the best you can do. If you don't actually have a bill for services rendered, it might as well be trash to most people. It might help if you have a way to document the amount of time spent on it. 

Be glad it wasn't Saudi movers. My cousin caught them smashing his $18,000+ four-poster bed to make it easier to carry. Then they argued it was made to come apart- via kicking and slamming on the ground. 

My company fortunately bought "Replacement Insurance" meaning they are required to pay for what it would cost today to buy that thing new or fix it. Ive been able to track down an expert to tell me what equivalent parts would be today (this was built in 2010). Since they can't fix custom work... I just need to figure out how much the case is worth.

Sucks to hear about the bed, they broke our table (not as valuable) in the same way trying to remove the legs which we told them aren't removable

7 minutes ago, Telegraph said:

I will look into those places although I already reached out to MPCTech, who isn't staffed for it anymore perhaps the other still do.

Not at all surprised about that.  May want to make sure that you make it clear you're not necessarily looking to have the work done, but just looking for a quote for what it would cost to replicate.  

Was this a mod you did yourself?  

Just now, Mosquito said:

Not at all surprised about that.  May want to make sure that you make it clear you're not necessarily looking to have the work done, but just looking for a quote for what it would cost to replicate.  

Was this a mod you did yourself?  

I think that might be being lost in translation trying to explain this situation is often hard in generic email forms!

Yes I did this mod myself back in 2010/2011

Hey all,

I reached out to a couple of those folks hopefully I get some responses. Thanks for the advice, I think my backup plan will be to estimate the number of hours + parts and hope thats enough justification.