Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Telegraph

OnShape as an alternative to Sketchup

Hey all,

I have been seeing a lot of really crazy/awesome concept mods here and it looks like many of them are in SkechUp which is great... to a point.

While prepping for my latest diy project last year back I ran across this:

OnShape.com

which is an in browser CAD tool created by the original creators of SolidWorks (one of the more popular CAD/CAM software's in industry). Best of all? It's free as long as you are okay with your files being public. Even more insane they have Mobile/Tablet apps which would let you carry your concepts into the garage to view, reference, and yes even tweak.

If you teach or have a .edu address you can also get an education version to store files privately. I bring it up because in general I find SketchUp to be incredibly frustrating, unintuitive (and I am a Mechanical Engineer), and limiting when I am trying to design something.

Anyway, not sure if this is the right board for this but food for thought!

Haven't tried it, nor do I have the time to, sadly. Does it give you a way to output for machining? One of the things that sucked about earlier free versions of 3d cad programs was that they deliberately gimped the files or shut off file export. 

I definitely couldn't use it to design parts if they were free to all. We've already seen a few knock-offs of Bill's stuff.

I agree SU is pretty clumsy when you leave the 90 degree axes. Anything that could output complex 3d shapes in solid models would be a Godsend. 

There is a commercial version that I think runs a pretty 1.5k a year (ouch) you can get around this if you are 1. not doing commercial 2. have access to a .edu address as an educator/student. As for outputs they have a cloud based "app store" which has connections to everything from CAM to Renderers.