Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kirchnerbrn

Advice Wanted on Video Editing Computer Update

Hey all. Looking to do an update for my video editing rig. Currently Running a 4770k on an Asus Maximus VI Impact. Mostly running GoPro Studio and Adobe Premier Pro. Was thinking of doing a completely different build in an old case and build up a 6800K or 6900K. But I am not about buying the latest and greatest Hardware, wife runs the budget. I am by no means a professional editor but am just getting frustrated with render time and encoding time with my computer. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Before dropping the money on 6800k and 6900k, I'd try to see what you can find for detailed reviews/comparisons of them vs the performance of the Ryzen 7 series.  I ended up going with an 1800X for my refresh, and have been using it for my photo and video editing.  I haven't tried GoPro Studio on it yet, and I primarily use PinnacleStudio for my video editing, so can't speak to the specifics of those two.  

My old/primary desktop (Visible Contrast) also runs a 4770k overclocked to 4.5GHz for daily use, but sometimes I'd clock it up to 4.8GHz while doing some video stuff, but not very often.  At 4.5GHz on the 4770k and 3.8GHz on my 1800X, handbrake encodings were almost twice as fast on the 1800x vs the 4770k (took roughly ~55% of the time on 1800X vs 4770k).  Though handbrake actually does utilize all 16 threads of the 1800X.  I use handbrake to encode all my "off the camera" video files before editing, as PinnacleStudio seems to be quite picky with what formats it actually works well with.... 

While rendering out video in Pinnacle Studio, it doesn't fully utilize the CPU when exporting, but the background rendering is significantly quicker on that than on my 4770k system.  I may give a trial version of Premiere Pro a shot and see how that does with the extra cores, but I believe that's relatively limited in what it will allow you to export in for the trial.

A Ryzen 7 may not be faster than a 6800k/6900k in your work load, but the price is certainly a LOT lower... 

I haven't done video editing in forever, and it was on AfterEffects, (The version with crap memory management.) My choke points were memory and drive speed. If you have a weak spot in your system, opening Resource monitor during a render should give you a good idea where it is.

I'm with Mos, Ryzen will probably be your best bet.  I'm not big on AMD's 'throw a lot of cores at it' solution, but it seems to be the trick for editing on a budget, with the 1700X being the sweet spot.  

I can't blame you for wanting to look at a 6XXXK though.  I've put together a 6800K and a 1700X system in the past couple of months.  I haven't compared them because I haven't put anything other than windows on the Ryzen build and the 6800K is my daily driver.  But the Ryzen build seemed more finicky.  After replacing the mb and chip(one of them was dead) it was update the bios, play around with the RAM to get it to recognize all sticks, that kind of stuff.  And it's small stuff, but with the 6800K, I threw it together, made sure it wasn't going to spew fluid everywhere, and it was up and running.  The Intel side definitely shows its polish from being a more mature platform.

Do you guys think that the 1700x is still the sweet spot I was reading an article on Puget systems site that said that the best CPU was the 7900x with its 10 Core Processor. I guess with the 1920 and 1950 being launched this week, do you think the AMD 12 core might be a more efficient option. I understand the price point will be a but higher but i really want to weigh the efficiency. Getting to the point in my life where time is money.  

The 1950 is supposed to be $999 isn't it?  That's about the same price as the 7900k, which I think is $1059 at the moment.  Availability may be the bigger issue.  Things like motherboards may not be as bountiful for the thread ripper parts at launch (which is pretty typical motherboard manufacturer support for AMD).  Also, BIOS maturity as well....

Basically, the highest end Thread Ripper at this point should be around the same price as the 7900k, so price to performance is definitely something to balance.  Another thing to consider is whether or not the software you use would actually effectively utilize that many threads or not.  Also, knowing that many software suites are optimized for Intel rather than AMD at this point.  All things to consider, and I'm not sure anyone of us can answer that for you, per-say.  I've grappled with the same thing in the past... 

From what I have read as stated about Ryzen 1800X would work extremely well for your situation. If you need more cores then that TR looks really good for a higher end ending system that will destroy Intel at the $1000 price point (reviews pending).